Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 Years Legal

Options
  • 07-01-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭

JupiterKid's post here (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54808417&postcount=15) reminded me of this. Like the UK's 40 years last year - its only 15 years since male homosexual "acts" were decriminalised here. I can't find the exact date(s) it came in to force on, but the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993 is what finally brought the country out of the Victorian era on that front, and with a unified age of consent - unlike the UK.

However, I don't see any broadcasters here willing to do a series on it, like the UK did... an interesting thought is that there's nobody doing it legally here who was born when it wasn't legal yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

MYOB wrote: »
    JupiterKid's post here (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54808417&postcount=15) reminded me of this. Like the UK's 40 years last year - its only 15 years since male homosexual "acts" were decriminalised here. I can't find the exact date(s) it came in to force on, but the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993 is what finally brought the country out of the Victorian era on that front, and with a unified age of consent - unlike the UK.

However, I don't see any broadcasters here willing to do a series on it, like the UK did... an interesting thought is that there's nobody doing it legally here who was born when it wasn't illegal yet!
    Do you mean when it wasn't legal yet?

Anyway, yay for 15 years of legality. I just can't believe that it took us that long - what a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

fozzle wrote: »
    Do you mean when it wasn't legal yet?.

Yes. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Yes but Rte's policy for gay programming seems to be "lalalala I don't hear you" apart from that one disasterously gay-themed night they had a few years ago, which was just awful

Oh, and they ignored the big Oscar Wilde anniversary as well, whereeas C4 did a big thing on it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, there should be some way that the broadcasters should mark the 15 years of our community being legal. It was pretty disgraceful that we lagged behind Britain by 26 years - a full generation, for decriminalisation to happen here. Ireland was so socially backward in so many ways for so long - something many young people under 25 don't seem to realise.

I hope RTE addresses the anniversary in some way, but don't hold your breath. At least it will be marked in Pride 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Am I the only one that does not consider a 15 year anniversary significant? Was my 15th birthday a big deal - no. Was my parents 15th anniversary a big deal.

Would I expect a series from the public broadcaster? No. Wait til 25 years and see then. In the meantime some people need to get down from the cross!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

15 is a commonly celebrated "big anniversary" for things. 17 would be more culturally significant I guess, but not a hope of that being covered obviouisly!

Advertisement