Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Team

Options
  • 07-01-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

This came up in conversation the other night and I wanted to see what people thought about it after the drunken mist had dissipated. My idea is to have a 6 a side team (costs only 650 euro as opposed to about double that for the 11 a side). Players who aren't getting their game, players who we want to have a look at and players in need of fitness could play in these games. Results wouldn't matter and if we have a full squad at the start of next season that might nearly cover the cost of entering. Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Agree, in principle.

Bear in mind our current squad is pretty decent and performing well. Would be difficult for any fringe players to get in and stay in, and that's a vindication of the strength of the first 11. My only concern is that it might not always be this way if numbers dwindle or whatever, ye can never tell who'll regularly be around next season. And would a player who was playing a stormer in the 6 a side team automatically warrant a place in the 11 a side?

A simpler and much cheaper method to do this is to just have regular training sessions like any other team and pick your best 11 based on who trains and who puts it in. I'd also have reservations about whether the 6 a side is even remotely similar to the 11 a side game to be a deciding factor for just throwing someone into the first team. That's my view but in fairness a more valid point of view might be from those who are trying to get into the team at present and whether they think having a competitive reserve side would have boosted their chances this season.

I think at this stage Des, and the rest of us, know what everyone's strengths and weaknesses are so the decision of a whole second team could be just based on simple economics: is €650 too much to see what could be decided after some initial training sessions or a coupla pre-season friendlies?

Food for thought....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Agree with you on the difference between 6 a side and 11 a side Sav. Completely different game. We all know a lad who's a legend on the 5 a side and wouldn't get into the Eddie Rockets side he's that poor at adapting to the proper game. But it's better than nothing when judging talent. The main use for it imo is to give the guys who pay and don't play very often a chance to get some game time for their money. And to help you back from injury (e.g. Shay, Joe or Colm have had v. long lay offs).

Is regular training ever going to work? I don;t think it will. Unless Des firmly said "No train, no play" then it never will in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Training turnout has always been bad when it was in the pheonix park. we had one or two good training sessions on astro in dcu but due to the size of the pitch we couldn't really practice set pieces etc.

I dunno about the 6-a-side. Paying to play with the regular boards team and then paying again to play with the reserve side because I'm not good enough would be a little much. But then if it works that I only pay for the 6-a-side team and am called up the the main team (hypothetically speaking :p) then how would whoever i replaced feel about paying more and not playing / playing reserve? Plus there's the difference in game as sav and martin have said. It would be good to build up fitness and ball work but it is a different game.

I'd absolutely love to see regular training sessions, I think it'd be the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Some good points raised here lads. Our last match of this season is on 4th March – when does the next season start?

We’ve improved a lot this season and now enter every game believing we can win it, but we do need to move on to the next level. We need some additional playing time to do that – either weekly training or a 5-a-side. As I suggested at the start of this season, I think we should block book a 6-a-side pitch at the weekends for an hour or 2 and use it for some tactics training and extra playing time. We should fill it each week from our squad plus mates where needed. If numbers regularly exceed capacity for that, only then should we look at regular grass training, otherwise we end up like this season and it trailing off cos of low numbers (which with a few mates would’ve been enough for weekly 5-a-sides).

Our improvement this season has largely been due to having a core of around 16 very committed (and talented) players showing up regularly – you can see how understanding has improved the more we’ve played together. If we hadn’t had so many long-term injuries (and a no-shower or 2) would we have improved this much or would Des have been under pressure to rotate more often to give more players a run? I think the rotation this season has been perfect and not diluted the performance at important times – any more rotation would’ve weakened us I feel.

Next season every player needs to understand that it will be like a proper club – paying doesn’t entitle you to a game, it entitles you to be considered for selection and there’ll be no giving lads a run for the sake of it unless the result is beyond doubt. That said, it only works if the lads not in the starting 11 to have some forum for showing what they can do – an additional weekly session of some sort is crucial for this purpose. It’s not going to be ideal cos we won’t get the 16 or so regularly needed for a good full training session, and it would also be a big additional ask on Des to turn up at all sessions.

So we’ll have to compromise – a 6-a-side at the weekend may fit the bill – any squad member attending will benefit, and lads not in the team will have a chance to show what they can do so long as Des nominates some senior players to report back to him if he can’t make it. It’s spot on that being a good 5-a-side player does not mean you’ll be a good 11-a-side player, but the opposite is true: if you’re below par at 5-a-side you’ll be shown up in 11-a-side, so it will serve as some indicator of performance.

We need to get something sorted imperfect as it may be, so let’s get the thoughts from all lads here and at the matches, keeping in mind there’s likely to be plenty of interest from new high standard players for next season’s squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

Q_Ball wrote: »
    I'd absolutely love to see regular training sessions, I think it'd be the way forward.

It's always going to be hard for the lads who play at the weekend for club teams to get there though. Would have thought this week might have been ideal for an astro session in DCU or somewhere considering that we've no game.

• Advertisement

Paying to play with the regular boards team and then paying again to play with the reserve side because I'm not good enough would be a little much. But then if it works that I only pay for the 6-a-side team and am called up the the main team (hypothetically speaking :p) then how would whoever i replaced feel about paying more and not playing / playing reserve?

My suggestion was that the price of the 6 a side be included in our original payment to Des. It wouldn't work any other way.

There are times when we fundamentally weaken the side by substitutions for the sake of giving lads a game. Are we going to keep this going or are we going to decide that no one plays unless it betters the team? I want to win things and to do that I think we have to insist on this. I think Jules and a few others agree with me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    There are times when we fundamentally weaken the side by substitutions for the sake of giving lads a game. Are we going to keep this going or are we going to decide that no one plays unless it betters the team? I want to win things and to do that I think we have to insist on this.

Not my team, not my business but I'll give my viewpoint anyway.

This team was setup so that a section of people could start playing regular football together. If you're playing in the astro league then why does it matter whether you finish 1st or 5th as long as you enjoy playing every week and you're not getting hammered on a regular basis?

The astro league has always been about social football, no sliding tackles, no offsides, no registration of players, no kit required, roll-on substitutes, DDSL referees, 5 minute sin-bins for yellow cards...and so on..

If you want to take it seriously as a team then you need to move away from astro altogether, put a team in the UCL or the lower levels of the LJL and work your way up the divisions. This league finishes in March which gives you 5.5 months of training before the new UCL league starts.

If you're going to stay in Astro, I think you need to accept that in the end it's a knock-about with a hint of competitiveness, but with a strong social and team aspect. It's like Taveners cricket compared to league cricket. Everybody plays and everybody enjoys.

imho

Iago wrote: »

This team was setup so that a section of people could start playing regular football together. If you're playing in the astro league then why does it matter whether you finish 1st or 5th as long as you enjoy playing every week and you're not getting hammered on a regular basis?

I don't think that attitude sits well with me or a few others on the team. I wish I could take it less seriously but I cant :)

I'm not sure if you ever played for the team Iago but the astro league is extremely competitive. We haven't across many teams taking the mickey anyway

I think that attitude sits well with me or a few others on the team. I wish I could take it less seriously but I cant :)

I'm not sure if you ever played for the team Iago but the astro league is extremely competitive. We haven't across many teams taking the mickey anyway

I think you meant to say "I don't think"

I understand completely, I'm exactly the same. I'd run through hell or high water to play football, and whether I'm playing in a cup final or a 6-a-side with my mates I want to win every game.

I played with the team a couple of times, unfortunately personal reasons meant I couldn't play more than that at the time. I've played in the astro league every Summer and Winter since August 1999. I've played in the Nighthawk league (Friday nights, only two divisions and offside included!) as well as most of the divisions in the regular astro leagues, and I'm currently playing with Dunbar Pensioners in your league.

It's not that teams are taking the mickey, but in all fairness (and I don't want to come across the wrong way here) it's an astro league and with the limitations of the rules and standards it will only ever be so competitive. It can only ever offer a certain degree of competitiveness that doesn't match playing in a grass league in UCL, LSL, LJL or AUL.

All I'm saying is that if you want to take it seriously, and want to really compete then you should enter a team in one of the leagues mentioned above. I think it's really difficult to grow a team of friends each of whom has paid €xx to play in an astro league, into a team whereby winning is the most important thing and some players don't play every week or indeed most weeks.

edit: About 5-6 years ago the Dunbar team was in the same position you guys are now, where some players wanted competitive football and some wanted to take it very socially. The team split and became two teams, one team played in Div 1 & 2 with most players also playing LSL & AUL at the weekends. The other played in Div 9 and had a different 11 every week, both sets of players got what they wanted out of it ultimately and both still have teams running in the competition.

I think you guys have a strong base for a good grass league team and you'll find that if you play in one of the leagues mentioned you'll attract more players which will allow you to build a club up and move up divisions. Based on your progress so far, I think it's a natural progression to a more rigid, training during the week, playing at the weekend scenario.

I think you meant to say "I don't think"

Yeh I did. Oops.

And of course playing in a proper weekend league would be more competitive. I don't think we have the squad or commitment required at this stage to do that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

WeAreShels wrote: »
    It's always going to be hard for the lads who play at the weekend for club teams to get there though. Would have thought this week might have been ideal for an astro session in DCU or somewhere considering that we've no game.

Dont forget people working weekends. I dont think it'll ever happen that we'll have everyone at a training session. We just need a when and where that would suit the majority.
    My suggestion was that the price of the 6 a side be included in our original payment to Des. It wouldn't work any other way.

Dont mind me I'm having a slow duh day :o that makes more sense.
    There are times when we fundamentally weaken the side by substitutions for the sake of giving lads a game. Are we going to keep this going or are we going to decide that no one plays unless it betters the team? I want to win things and to do that I think we have to insist on this. I think Jules and a few others agree with me on this.

Haha, the paranoid in me is ringing alarm bells ;)

I agree too, but a winners medal at the end of next season will feel very light if I dont kick a ball for it :D I've always felt that a platform to learn and where I can show that I might be improving and might be worthy of possible consideration for competition for places on the subs bench is what the team has been missing. Hence why I've attended training whenever its remotely possible for me to. Its something I think we should aim to have in place in time for next season.

Regular training icon14.gif
    6-a-side team icon14.gificon14.gif

Alright Gary, how's the form? Looking forward to March 4th when it'll hopefully us versus your lot battling it out for the league title? ;)

That's not correct - before I joined this team I explicitly addressed this question and we reached a consensus that the team would be aiming to win, not just to take part.

So let’s not get confused about the aim of this team – we want to win every game and progress as a team and as individuals. We have a good mix of lads using this to get a taste of competitive football and improve their game, lads with experience in other ‘codes’ wanting to apply it to soccer, and lads who used play at a higher level and are working their way back from injury. At the start of each season we call out the intention and people choose to sign-up or otherwise based on that, so I’ve no doubt the current squad are aligned on this…..we even have lads suggesting we get team tracksuits for Christ sake!

Long-term I like the idea of building some more teams and have both grass and astro teams and get coaching courses for the manager and coaches etc. But that’s a long way off right now though we’re moving in the right direction. Obviously grass is more competitive than astro leagues, but a competitive game is a competitive game and our attitude will be to give 100% regardless of level. That said, you’ve gotta remember we’re in one of the lowest astro leagues right now, and back in my Parkvale days I filled in for teams in the top astro leagues here and there and I can defo say the standard in the top astro leagues is at least comparable with the lower LSL and AUL leagues. Net result = we are far from outgrowing astro and our focus on improving as much as possible is still appropriate. Yes, we do take it more seriously than most of the other teams in our league – that’s why we’ll be playing several leagues higher in a season or 2.

Haha, the paranoid in me is ringing alarm bells ;)

I agree too, but a winners medal at the end of next season will feel very light if I dont kick a ball for it :D I've always felt that a platform to learn and where I can show that I might be improving and might be worthy of possible consideration for competition for places on the subs bench is what the team has been missing. Hence why I've attended training whenever its remotely possible for me to. Its something I think we should aim to have in place in time for next season.

Definitely not singling you out Darren if you were thinking I was. I know from chatting to yourself that your eager to improve, etc. And tbh, playing in a competitive game (be it 6 or 11 a side) will help that progress. There are probably a few players on the team who will week in week out not play due to the influx of new players over the last year. And while training has its uses, a competitive 6 a side game gives you the chance to work on your abilities.

There's a different mentality involved in competitive games as opposed to training. You're comfortable playing with your team mates and comfortable playing against them. for example, in training, I would take players on more and play out from the back more because it's the time to practice those skills. In a match I'd never try those things to the same extent. The 6 a side team could improve our players whose abilities aren't quite good enough to make the first team. I know a couple of lads who were quite poor footballers in their late teens but have blossomed into very good players (for this sort of standard anyway) through just playing plenty of competitive 5 a side football.

Anyway, all of this is just my opinion. I've only been on the team 6 months so I hope I'm not offending anyone by speaking my mind. I'm sure you all know that I'm committed to the cause and want what's best for the team to progress

Alright Gary, how's the form? Looking forward to March 4th when it'll hopefully us versus your lot battling it out for the league title? ;)

Not too bad mate, a lot better than I was at 10.20 last night getting pelted with hailstones and high winds. At one point I turned around and the goal had been blown 3ft to my left, if they had taken a shot before I noticed then it was an easy goal. As it was I managed to get the refs attention and move it back in place before I was embarrassed!

Should be a good game, with FWH and SS drawing last night the league is starting to open up again. Thought the Eddie Rockets game would cost us the league (and it still might) but at least it's in our hands over the next 6 games now.
    That's not correct - before I joined this team I explicitly addressed this question and we reached a consensus that the team would be aiming to win, not just to take part.

So let’s not get confused about the aim of this team – we want to win every game and progress as a team and as individuals.

I didn't mean any offence, but certainly when the idea for a team was first mooted on the soccer forum it was a "social" thing. I've no doubt that had as much to do with everyone being an unknown quantity as anything else. Even taking it socially, I would never presume anybody turns up on a cold winter evening with the intention of losing or not trying.

We have a good mix of lads using this to get a taste of competitive football and improve their game, lads with experience in other ‘codes’ wanting to apply it to soccer, and lads who used play at a higher level and are working their way back from injury. At the start of each season we call out the intention and people choose to sign-up or otherwise based on that, so I’ve no doubt the current squad are aligned on this…..we even have lads suggesting we get team tracksuits for Christ sake!

I think you're very organised, I was chatting to Des last night before our match and I commented on how great it is that you're getting 13-15 out every week without fail. Most teams (ourselves included) are lucky to get 11-12 and you can tell that at least one or two of those haven't played together before. It speaks volumes about the commitment of the players, but I also think it could cause problems if you start to take it so seriously that some players don't get any sort of a game for 2-3 weeks or longer because you feel it may impact on your results.
    Long-term I like the idea of building some more teams and have both grass and astro teams and get coaching courses for the manager and coaches etc. But that’s a long way off right now though we’re moving in the right direction. Obviously grass is more competitive than astro leagues, but a competitive game is a competitive game and our attitude will be to give 100% regardless of level. That said, you’ve gotta remember we’re in one of the lowest astro leagues right now, and back in my Parkvale days I filled in for teams in the top astro leagues here and there and I can defo say the standard in the top astro leagues is at least comparable with the lower LSL and AUL leagues. Net result = we are far from outgrowing astro and our focus on improving as much as possible is still appropriate. Yes, we do take it more seriously than most of the other teams in our league – that’s why we’ll be playing several leagues higher in a season or 2.

The top astro leagues have teams and individuals that are playing high level grass football. Clover United (who play LSL Intermediate Div 1) put a side into the summer astro league every year. There are some quality teams up there, and as far as ability goes it's as good as anything in the lower divisions of LSL and AUL. but there's still no offside or sliding tackles!

All I was saying is that at the moment we (because it's all I'm playing right now too) are playing in a set of social leagues. If anybody wants to become more competitive and play with the intention of winning games, even at the cost of alienating some players, I think you need to move away from an astro league where everyone pays XX at the start of the season. I mean the cost per game is well worthwhile, but not if you only play 15 minutes in total all year.

I think the boards team has gone from strength to strength, and if I could have been sure I was able to commit I would have happily been right in there with ye (even if I was just a bench warmer) as it was it was too late before I could make that commitment so I'm playing with Dunbar instead. If you can keep the players you have together, and maybe get a few more interested then there's no reason you can't move to a grass league with 2 nights training and games at the weekend. You're completely right though, one step at a time and moving through the astro leagues will give you a good idea of how far you're progressing and when to make the next step up.

Martin - all players should feel free to express their opinion regardless of how long they've been with the squad as long as its constructive, and yours is that. As we mentioned a while back, specific issues with or from individuals, and questioning of specific selections etc. is not fair game for a public forum, but to be honest, we've not had any real issues with that.

Gary - I get your point and know it's all well intended and there's no offence taken or given, so don't want to split hairs on this. Our points on the long-term direction are broadly similar though I feel we're still in the early stages on that path and there's still plenty of growth for us by going up the Astro leagues, then we can look at branching out. Striking a balance between playing the best team as long as possible and giving lads a run out to keep interest up and give them a chance to show what they can do will be difficult. Though I'd argue that only becomes more pronounced when you move to grass as a weak player will be more exposed there so coaches are more reluctant to change things. Reserve team, 6-a-side, and/or training would all help to address this.

If that's our main challenge, we'll be alright cos we have a good squad o players with the right committment, talent, and attitude. Just so there's no confusion - yes, when the team was first mooted it was regarded as social. Before I got involved (2nd training session I think), I sought, and received, a consensus that it was not just taking part and giving lads a run and we would be fielding our best team as much as possible. That consensus is stronger than ever within this squad and we'll sit down and have a chat on direction before next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

reserve team - no

grass team - yes, eventually, but we need to win an astro league first. i think the current 15 or 16 players are dedicated and while i think if 1 or 2 players are missing in key areas that we struggle, we have a good team and are getting better every week.

ideally boardeaux play 2 more astros and this time next year, we are fundraising for a grass team.

LeixlipRed wrote:
    Anyway, all of this is just my opinion. I've only been on the team 6 months so I hope I'm not offending anyone by speaking my mind. I'm sure you all know that I'm committed to the cause and want what's best for the team to progress
    Martin - all players should feel free to express their opinion regardless of how long they've been with the squad as long as its constructive
    reserve team - no

grass team - yes, eventually, but we need to win an astro league first. i think the current 15 or 16 players are dedicated and while i think if 1 or 2 players are missing in key areas that we struggle, we have a good team and are getting better every week.

ideally boardeaux play 2 more astros and this time next year, we are fundraising for a grass team.

In fairness Martin.....could you not have figured that out yourself, what with Ed issuing sermons from the mount and all :D

Sir Ed to you Jules :D

And I really don't think the team in it's current format could play in a grass league with training twice a week. Firstly, we'd need a coach. Secondly, no one turns up for training once in a blue moon never mind twice a week. I'd prefer to play on grass obviously as it's the pure form of the game but a **** load would have to change for this team to make that change over.

My ideal situation would be us playing on grass at the weekends and playing in the astro league as practice cum training. Add into that extra training pre season and that should run alright

In case my post above might don't make sense to others - it's just taking the piss outta the contrasting approaches - left wing apologetic politician meets no-nonsense right wing if you will ;)

Looks like we're all broadly on similar grounds on long-term direction involving branching out to add a grass team at some stage and we also agree that's a couple of seasons away yet.

So I reckon this conversation should focus on next season. To win a league we need to be doing more than a 60-minute match per week. Options are:

A. Reserve 11-a-side or 6-a-side astro team
    B. Schedule a weekly 6-a-side to be used for training purposes and giving subs a chance to show what they can do.
    C. Schedule a weekly training session focused on fitness, tactics, playing (may or may not be done on astro, weather probably a factor).

We're not gonna get 100% turnout for any of the above cos of work and club committments, that's why I think we should start with B. and possibly make it a 2 hour session at the weekend or 2 one hour sessions a week (more chance for people to make a session). This could be expanded to include more than just a kickabout (fitness, tactics) if and when the numbers consistently justify it.

Ok let's talk economics. A weekly "training" session on Astro will cost us what in pitch hire? Because if it's more than €650 in total (which I'm pretty sure it is) then a the best option is the 6-a-side astro league because it'll be a helluva lot more competitive. I personally don't like to see players kicking the legs out of their own teammates in training just to try impress the manager.

I think any 6-a-side would have to be sub-managed by someone worthy, doubt if Des fancies all the rigmarole and responsibility of running a second team when the easier option is simply to train but for various reasons that didn't happen.

As for the transition into the grass pitch game, all I'll say is we are a million miles away from that IMHO. You need serious organisation, I've seen how much donkey work needs to go into it and it's a full time job for one unlucky soul. For example, you have to find a home pitch which can be infinitely harder than finding the holy grail. For my current Sat team, we have to pay Public Liability Insurance in case someone gets injured and goes missing from their respective day jobs, we pay €10 subs per game (recently increased from €5 cos the club nearly folded) and we all have to help put up/take down nets for every home game, corner flags, pay someone to mark the pitch, also the home team has to ring the away team and the Ref before each published fixture. You also have to attend monthly management meetings with the league and we all had to pay €60pp on top of insurance simply to cover the AUL registration fees. If you dont pay by xmas you get kicked out of the league. There's also training needed, we have to pay €5pp once a week to train on full size astro at the back of a school and there are teams fighting over who gets what slots, if you cancel a coupla sessions you could lose your place for good. My team are lucky in the sense we have a manager who is willing to do the considerable hours needed to keep the club afloat, and he himself lost something like €800 of his own money to the club last year, hence the subs going up in price. Its a fine line and unless you're a local schoolboy team you'll find nobody really cares whether you survive or not because at the end of the day you're just a bunch of men having a kickabout, to convince them you are in anyway serious you have to really win a trophy and have a good blagger.

We got those cool jackets and club coloured t-shirt as a result of one of our long standing players bleeding his boss for a few quid. We also got new gear last year when the actual manager convinced his boss in work the team was going places. I wouldn't wish the job on anyone and if our current manager didn't have that love for the club and all the wheelings and dealings and banter then quite simply the club would cease to be.

If you ask me, this is pie in the sky talk on the back of a couple of good results. In the short term, I think a 6-a-side "B" team, combined with maybe going up a division or two, would be real and tangible goals for next season. Anything after that, I'm loathe to say, is very premature.

I wouldn't even worry about the practical changeover from astro to grass, I'm sure we've the players to adapt but one thing I will say is that 11 a side saturday football can be a very unsportsmanlike activity at the best of times. The amount of fights and general aggro is hard to plan for, and we would find ourself up against some very cynical teams who will literally do whatever is necessary to put you off your game. There is very little actual football played at the lower levels. Bearing in mind a few months back Ed and others were complaining we were too nice as a team, right up until we beat FWH in fact.

I'm not saying Boardeaux are a bunch of cissies, but I'm just saying maybe try it out for size before committing any further. I remember that friendly against Beechlawn a few months back on grass was a fisaco from our point of view, we looked like a bunch of strangers playing together and ended up getting beat IIRC.

Baby steps lads, stay small, stay mobile ;)

• Advertisement

A lot of good points there Sav. Especially about the amount of effort that it takes to get a proper club/team going.

In relation to running the 6 a side team, I don't think Des needs to be involved at all. some of the more "senior" (whatever that means) lads could rotate going along to the games. It wouldn't even be a disaster if no one turned up to watch every now and again

In relation to running the 6 a side team, I don't think Des needs to be involved at all. some of the more "senior" (whatever that means) lads could rotate going along to the games. It wouldn't even be a disaster if no one turned up to watch every now and again
    Hmmm...who's "Senior" nowadays? You callin me old? Or fat?
    Let's just nominate Ed and be done with her.:eek:

I'm only a young un :D I meant one of the lads like yourself Sav or Jules who've been with the team since the start and who'd be knowleadgable enough to judge players performances

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im game ball some reserve team.

6'4" 18 stone centre half..

snyper wrote: »
    Im game ball some reserve team.

6'4" 18 stone centre half..
    What a way to introuduce yerself bud :D

lol..

i havnt played for years but i played over in the states when i was there..

So much fun going "vinny jones" on the yanks..

Ah in fairness I think MLS would be a step down from Tuesday nite astro.:p

not MLS, more ex pats pub team .. on Sunday morning...

Home sat night sun morn at 8am.. kit out game at 11.

.. back to pub.

You can always count on Sav for a healthy dose of realism :) and all very interesting and valid points,. particularly about the unpleasant side of league football

I'm fully aware of what's involved in running a football club but others may not be so Sav's points paint the right picture. I still think its something to aim at, but clearly only in the long term. After-all, to go back that old gem "we have 70,000 fans" to support us :p My intention with the last post was to try close the grass dicussion cos it's clearly long-term and our focus is on this season and next season.

I don't think anybody is changing their view cos of a few wins, we want to keep improving regardless of what our current standard is, and we need something to do it.

So some form of weekly 6-a-side looks like a possible runner, but when assessing economics we need to compare the €650 for 6 people to play each week against €X for 12 people to get a run each session if we book a pitch ourselves. I think 5/6-a-side pitches are in the region of €60-€70 per hour so 20 sessions equals a season and works out around €1400 => not much difference, though the competitive edge a league would offer is a factor.

Don't think this squad would be kicking the shins off each other just to impress a manager, though a few niggles are to be expected. A quick chat on this at our next session will help figure out what the majority want, though we should probably table it beyond that if we'll have time to sort it out between this season and the next cos we have 6 must-win games coming up and need to keep focus on those and come back to this later I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I'd agree that the 6 a side astro (whether competitive or just booking a pitch) would be the best way to get a 2nd game going. Much more likely to happen than the weekend training sessions in pheonix park anyway.

I'd say most of us play some sort of football outside the boardaux fixtures but the more play the better for fitness.

Advertisement