Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Small Automatics ??

Options
  • 08-01-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

my daughter-in-law needs a replacement car...must be auto. She will have my grandchild in the back...so something reasonably solid...plus 4/5 door...1.1to 1.4l...and I'm looking up to €6k-ish. Anyone have experience/knowledge of who makes decent auto-boxes at this level ??. Checked carzone/cbg...and some decent looking 206s, Corsas, Demios, Astras..the odd Clio/Megane...but not much else. She hates Micras. I don't want to go older than 1999. Is there anything I should know ??...or particular makes to run a mile from ??...or an obvious best choice ??.

Any help...or suggestions...much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Honda civic or jazz autos are good - toyota corrola or starlet autos ain't bad either, not sure what prices they're going for though??

Try looking in some of the japimport garages or the auto trader.

Small autos go for mad money - saw a girl pay 4000 euro for a piece of sh!t of a 99 micra, just last week??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Small autos go for mad money

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=757062

Holy crap man- look at the value.

I wouldn't regard an auto supermini as suitable for her precious cargo and those little engines trying to push along with an auto box?? If she bought this, she'd wonder why she even contemplated a corsa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i know ya said "must be auto" but if its not for any medical reasons or anything I go for a manual car. people who learn to drive auto's are very reluctant to try manual cars and its very difficult to teach them., will be easier in the long run if she could drive a manual.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

cantdecide wrote: »

I wouldn't regard an auto supermini as suitable for her precious cargo and those little engines trying to push along with an auto box?? If she bought this, she'd wonder why she even contemplated a corsa.

you think this is a good deal just because its cheap ?

im sick of people on here quoting the cheapest car on carzone as an example of what you can get for your money, surely you have to take an average price ?

id say its cheap for a reason - must have problems
    nct is due now, so why not do it ? would surely help the sale.
    average price on carzone is 6 - 7k so why is this going for half price ?

if it seems too good to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sounds like you haven't driven an auto, at least not in the last 10 years at any rate.

To suggest an auto is unsafe - 'cos that's what you're saying - is complete rubbish. It will perform identically to a manual in the event of an accident.

'Little engines' - again, spurious comment. Even the worst small engine car will meet or exceed commuting requirements.

How about small Merc A-Class ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

This one looks in pretty good condition with low mileage, €5,500

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=845402

DonJose wrote: »

I'll see your 4395, and raise you........10

k, that is :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sounds like you haven't driven an auto, at least not in the last 10 years at any rate.

To suggest an auto is unsafe - 'cos that's what you're saying - is complete rubbish. It will perform identically to a manual in the event of an accident.

'Little engines' - again, spurious comment. Even the worst small engine car will meet or exceed commuting requirements.

How about small Merc A-Class ?

*Are you suggesting there is NO POINT in going for DonJose's S430 or any model in between?????

Galwaytt- you buy one if there so brilliant. I, on the other hand, wouldn't be seen dead in one....

*Edit: ...So S class drivers should buy auto superminis?...

Are you suggesting there is NO POINT in going for DonJose's S430 or any model in between?????

Galwaytt- you buy one if there so brilliant. I, on the other hand, wouldn't be seen dead in one....

Actually that was a joke, note to mods fix those [JOKE] tags.

It was a typo and the real price should have another digit at the end. Looks like they realised their mistake and changed it ;)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=661267

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting there is NO POINT in going for DonJose's S430 or any model in between?????

?

Where did I suggest that? If you re-read it, what I said was: to suggest an automatic is unsafe is incorrect. There is no connection whatsoever between transmission choice and safety, any more than there is between a petrol vs. diesel..........

Personally, I think you'll look the same whether dead in a Micra or Mercedes, so I don't know what you're point is......:confused:

As for buying one - well I am looking for an automatic, actually, but you need to buy my sig, first ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    ?

Where did I suggest that? If you re-read it, what I said was: to suggest an automatic is unsafe is incorrect. There is no connection whatsoever between transmission choice and safety, any more than there is between a petrol vs. diesel..........

Personally, I think you'll look the same whether dead in a Micra or Mercedes, so I don't know what you're point is......:confused:

As for buying one - well I am looking for an automatic, actually, but you need to buy my sig, first ! :D

My point about it not being safe enough is completely sepereate to my point about it being underpowered. I'm not suggesting auto cars are unsafe compared to manuals:)

However you are suggesting auto superminis are more capable than they are. They are only good enough if they NEVER leave the city.

We know nothing about the OPs usage- she could be going to the moon and back for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had 2 Auto 1.3L Mitsubishi Mirage's (99 hatchback and a 98 coupe) previously and neither of them gave me a day's bother. OK, fully loaded it was sluggish on the motorway and would struggle to do 120km/h but for general everyday usage they were great.

(Ironically they were less trouble than the Passat I now have and which cost almost 3 times as much)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=876478&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Ford%20Fiesta%2C%20Year%3A%201997%2C%20Automatic%20Transmission%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=747402&CFTOKEN=56195596

That looks perfect for the OP's needs and considerably under budget too. 5 doors, low mileage, electric windows. Clean looking car. Even if she were to spend €500 on things like bushes and ball joints, she could drive it for a year and probably sell it for much the same money again, now that the Irish are finally realising the joys of autos.

Slightly OT, but did Ford ever actually get around to marketing a CVT auto? I seem to remember a long time ago that they had invested heavily as they saw them as the future of small car transmissions. If memory serves, the stumbling block was the reliability of the belts.

milltown wrote: »
    That looks perfect for the OP's

It's hard too say that when we know nothing about here usage- one major and often overlooked consideration when choosing a car and especially for the wimmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Cheap and cheerfull, a little older buy low milage and VGC
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=36257&cat=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

While that looks like a good deal its a 1.8 litre and automatic = very bad mpg and dearer insurance and tax, also the NCT is just up.

Advertisement