Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2003 Octavia Vrs - opinions

Options
  • 08-01-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Whats the general opinion on the 2003 Skoda Octavia Vrs? I'm between two minds about upgrading or sticking with what I have, and the vrs has caught my eye. I'd be willingly to spend up to €14,000 so I guess I'd be looking at a 2003 or 2004. There don't appear to be too many on carzone or cbg so I'd probably have to considering importing one from the U.K which seems like a lot of effort. Also, coming from a 1.4 astra, should I expect running costs to increase significantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it just me, or does €14k sound like crazy money for an 04 Octavia VRS? It'll be worth nothing come resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Your best bet would be to post the same question on vagdrivers.net or briskoda.net/forums.

They are a very nice car for the money, I came very close to buying one.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Well 14,000 would be the upper limit, the cheaper the better tbh.

Thanks for the links neil

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

It's a beautiful car to drive - I had one for a year, also 03. However I had problems with it on country roads because of the hard suspension (it was nearly airborne on bumpy roads if I tried to go fast), and it sat down once on a speed bump at a golf club (I don't play - God forbid - but I was bringing my uncle there) and I had to get the underside repaired, though it cost only about €100. But the price is too high for a car of that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/303547.htm

Approximately €9,800 before vrt is added, the vrt calculator doesn't have the vrs model so I was unable to work it out, plus the ferry back to Ireland and transport around England would probably nullify any savings. I think you're right about €14,000 being to high for a car of that age. If I could get one with 50,000miles or less for €12,000 I would jump at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I bloody well like these cars.

Not that I didn't believe you I had a look on carzone and this almost fits the bill surely? Slightly higher miles than you'd like but you'll surely haggle it to €11k.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=800571

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I've had a couple of these in, they're a nice car. Decent trim spec and performence for the money. Not my cup of tea really. I'd prefer a Leon Cupra (R) for that kind of money. Totaly different car, i know but still....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Nephew wrote: »
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/303547.htm

Approximately €9,800 before vrt is added, the vrt calculator doesn't have the vrs model so I was unable to work it out, plus the ferry back to Ireland and transport around England would probably nullify any savings. I think you're right about €14,000 being to high for a car of that age. If I could get one with 50,000miles or less for €12,000 I would jump at it.

The car is on the vrt site...

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 08 January 2008 TIME: 10:57

STATISTICAL CODE: 41388668
    MAKE: SKODA
    MODEL: OCTAVIA 1.8
    VERSION: VRS 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 39000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): MAY 2003
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €10237
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €2559

But there is also a T RS model which is cheaper to vrt :rolleyes:

DATE: 08 January 2008 TIME: 10:58

STATISTICAL CODE: 40588668
    MAKE: SKODA
    MODEL: OCTAVIA 1.8
    VERSION: T RS 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 39000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): MAY 2003
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €8459
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €2114

Neil.

Advertisement