Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dud graphics card

Options
  • 08-01-2008 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I installed the memory and graphics card as per this
    thread today. The memory is in but I have a problem with the card,thisone.I'm just getting a blank screen.I put the old card back in and the pc is running again. Have i got a dud,or would it be the case that the card isn't compatable with my system,dell dimension 8300.Original card is an fx5200 256mb agp
    I followed the instructions to the letter,uninstalled fx drivers first,even bought a new antistatic band with the card just to be safe.Does this card require an extra power source? Are komplete difficult where returns are concerned if it comes to that.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah, looking at the pic on komplett there looks like that card takes additional power which would probably also have included an adaptor (Standard molex to Card power), look in the box for a adaptor which has a molex connector one end and graphics card power the other, that power connector on the card looks to me its at the top right hand side of the video card btw...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I had the same problem with my 8300 the power supply is not strong enough to run most modern cards. I ended up getting a non-fan cooled gfx and that solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yoyo, card only came with external crossfire bits for a double monitor setup. I see the power connector on the card ok.
    Kmick,is the card you got powerfull enough for todays games?
    Would upgrading the powersupply be an advantage,it would run the card and other bits I may get in the future?

I dont know m8, I guess (And its only a guess as I would be more familiar with Nvidia Products) you need a extra power cable, anything in the manual regarding a extra power cable juring setup? If theres a port for it on the card a good chance is it needs it, also regarding PSU, this is a lower end ATI card so I wouldn't think it would need much PSU power, then again if the PSU in the dell is total junk, there could be issiues, A low end nvidia card will run on <300W okish PSU no problem, don't see ATI being too different...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks lads,turns out there was a power supply,card fitted ok> Only problem now is drivers won't load. Happy enough though that I dont have to replace the psu.

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote: »
    Thanks lads,turns out there was a power supply,card fitted ok> Only problem now is drivers won't load. Happy enough though that I dont have to replace the psu.
    Guessed it :) To get drivers on, get the latest ones from www.ati.com and before installing run driver sweeper in safe mode to remove the old drivers completely, please note for proper cleaning this should be done in Safe Mode

Nick

Advertisement