Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

thanks Odysseus there hasnt been enough hours in the day for me recently . but hopefully should be back to normality now..fingers crossed.
    im entered in the connemara ultra so i really need to start getting some miles in again

10 mile run tonight . felt really out of sorts for the first 4 miles but settled then and actually felt comfortable for last 4 miles. even though the pace was very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

SUNGOD wrote: »
    10 mile run tonight . felt really out of sorts for the first 4 miles but settled then and actually felt comfortable for last 4 miles. even though the pace was very slow

Hi SUNGOD - I'd be interested to hear what pace you define as "very slow"??

christeb wrote: »
    Hi SUNGOD - I'd be interested to hear what pace you define as "very slow"??

hi christeb..i just ment slow in realation to prevoius runs over the same course in the past
    pre-marathon i would do it in around 65-70 minutes in training(best is 62) so last nights run in 82 min was 20 over my best
    put 20 twenty minutes on to anyones 10 mile PB and it will feel very slow
    but even still when i started running , 10 miles in 82 was only a dream for me:D

last night i did 6 miles with a couple of friends. didnt look at clock before we left but it was deffinitely the fastest ive gone in a few weeks.
    felt good to push it a bit after my recent runs
    on the bad side im after getting a cold ,slightly worried its a chest infection as im spitting up what can only be described as "tadpoles" first thing in the morning to clear my chest.
    and i dont remember swallowing a frog recently:D

• Advertisement

did 6 miles on friday night in horrible weather.
    still very chesty and fluey but im going to keep running through it

10 miles this morning
    not feeling as bad today in relation to cold/flu . but felt tired during my run mainly due to the fact that this has been my first full weeks running in quite a while.
    i might run tommorrow and rest monday or depending how i feel in the morning i might use tommorrow as my rest day

i didnt look at clock before my run to keep tabs on times and i probabily wont for a while. i know im slower than im capable of but im just concentrating on getting the miles into the legs and the speed will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

SUNGOD,
    I cant find the thread that Racing Flat posted about the big 8.
    Do you have it handy ?

Sosa wrote: »
    SUNGOD,
    I cant find the thread that Racing Flat posted about the big 8.
    Do you have it handy ?

1 mile in 5 min
    3k in 10 min
    5k in 20 min
    5 mile in 30 min
    10k in 40 min
    10 mile in 1 hour
    half marathon in 90 min
    marathon in 3 hour

4 mile run

• Advertisement

4 miles at roughly 8 min miles followed by 6 miles at roughly 7 min miles

finally got a run in today(6mile) after nearly another week of inactivity.. but the plan is to make full use of my free time over xmas and get a lot of miles in .
    also i will have to rejig my training plan for march as ive missed a major chunk in the last 6/8 weeks but thankfully i still have time

10 mile run this morning with SOSA thankfully sosa was tired after the weeks training, which suited me as im still just trying to find some consistency
    feel a little stiff after it but its just good to be back running
    looking forward to getting out a fair bit over the holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Oh how the tides have turned ! ( albeit ...temporarily )

For the first time ever you were on my shoulder for most of the run ....but i did notice a little spurt over the last 3m ....you couldnt have a novice like me leading the way the whole time ....would not be good for the confidence.

ended up doing 5 miles last night with a friend of mine . probabily shouldnt have after the 10 that morning but the pace was slow and i actually felt much better after it as the slow jog worked out any stiffness i had

lovely morning for a run 4 of us set out on a 10 mile loop, i felt great up until the last 2 miles but that is to be expected as that is 25 miles in just over 24 hours.
    prob rest tommorrow but we'll see .
    i was going to race on stephens day but i really dont feel strong enough to push myself and dont know what i would gain by racing at this stage of my training.
    so i think i will just do a casual 6 with a group locally

went for a 5 mile run at one o clock to try work off the tin of quality street i had for my breakfast.
    to say i felt a little unwell after 2 miles would be a gross understatement.

went for a 7.5 mile run with the local running club .
    really enjoyed it . there must have been 30 + runners out together and we went a country route that i had never run before.

i was going to race this morning but im very happy i decided against it as i would have to rest pre and post race

strange run this morning...i wanted to do a LSR today so i rested yesterday to be fresh today ,but for the first 3 miles i was stiff/sore/tired and with little energy .
    at this stage i didnt think i would make 5 miles but i battled on and eventually started to feel comfortable at around mile 9.
    i started to tire badly again towards the end but i ended up running 18 miles in total so happy enough with that.

i probabily pushed the distance out a little too much too soon(should have just done 14) but i wanted a long run to give me a little confidence that i can still run long .
    i will probabily pay for it in the morning as im feeling stiff at the moment
    the weather was so nice today i went for a walk on the beach after my run and this really helped as i was really starting to stiffen up before the walk but felt great after it

first LSR of 18 miles and a weekly total of 61.5 miles
    very happy with that but still plenty of training to do especially long runs

8 miles last night ,not sure what im doing today

• Advertisement

ended up running 6 miles with the last 3 miles been under 7 min miles.
    felt tired from the start but ran through it, i need a break soon so im just deciding when to take a rest day.
    i might rest tommorrow or run tommorrow and thursday and rest friday before my long runs overs the weekend
    ...decisions...decisions...:D

went for a slow 4 mile recovery run just to stretch the legs as they are feeling the strain at the moment.
    i have tommorrows running organised so friday will definitely be a rest day before 2 runs over the weekend ,hopefully a 10 and 20

ended up running 4 miles in the evening as well

ran with SOSA and the local running club this morning.
    the main group went off a lot quicker then stephens day and myself and sosa were cast adrift untill we caught them after about 6 miles but by then the real front runners had broken away from the main group and were out of site.

if i had a bit more training done and was feeling good i would have relished the challenge of trying to reel back in the pace setters, but today i was just happy to stay with sosa and reel in the main bunch.

going by sosa's new garmin we did 8.66 @ 7:16 min miles

rest day today as ive run 11 days straight.
    i actually dont feel too bad and was tempted to do a few miles,
    but im hoping on two long runs over the weekend so i know the sensible thing to do is rest and refuel for the weekend .
    great feeling good and having to stop myself running rather then trying to find the motivation to drag myself out the door for a run...long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hey Sungod I could do with a dose of your self-control to rest when I'm supposed to :)

hi SJ just as well i did rest yesterday as i found todays run hard going so god only knows how i would have been if i didnt rest.

did 12 miles with SOSA and 2 others , i was last home by a good half mile as i tired over the the last 2 miles
    i probabily could have battled on and stayed with them but im hopeing to run again in the morning so decided to reserve some energy for the morning

long run this morning of 18 miles .
    i had wanted to do 20 but at the 16 mile mark my legs politely told me to "f**k off we are doing 18" and unfortunately i risked a lower limb mutiny if i had gone for the 20:D

happy enough as i had a weekly total of 60.6 miles and long runs of 12 & 18 on sat & sun

will try keep the mid week total at 30 miles for the moment and try lengthen the weekend total from 30 (12&18) to 40 over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

SUNGOD wrote: »
    try lengthen the weekend total from 30 (12&18) to 40 over the next few weeks

What breakdown are you using to get to 40 at weekends? Sounds like a lot, but I guess that's what ultramarathoning is all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running there Sungod. For a minute there I thought I was the only one stupid enough to be doing high mileage this week :) Whereabouts are you running / do hills come into it?

• Advertisement

hi peckham i have done 20/20 on sat/sun so i know i can handle a 40 mile weekend
    but i will try either do 16/24 or 18/22
    im still a fair bit off that kind of stamina as i found last weekends 30 miles very tiring.

hi SJ im in waterford city so no real hills but on the end of my 10 or 20 mile routes there is 2 hills of approx a half mile each

i used to run a 10 mile loop in portlaw woods which was 5 miles up to the top and back down , a very tough run but the hill running would stand to you

Advertisement