Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

winter league earlier 5.2 mile in 31:28 felt really good compared to two weeks ago slower time and struggled/suffered. rest really stood to me. i printed off that marathon training schedule link that hunnymonster gave me and im going to rest tomorrow(actually its today) and start on saturday. just going for the intermediate version and starting on week 8 (its an 18 week plan) as its 10 to connemara and i have a good base built up anyway. only problem is that as i work a 5 week alternating shift plan my shifts and days off change continously so it will make it harder if i have my long runs when im on nights etc ,most marathon plans work on the presumption you work days monday to friday train after work then weekend off with long run on sunday as the whole day is your own .i know its not the end of the world but in a couple of weeks im on nights fri sat and sun so weekend is fairly packed .but what harm i either want to train or i dont so stop complaining smile and get on with it, now after that little moan i feel better so off to the cot with sungod

Alright, back in the saddle. Onwards on upwards.

thanks racing flat i suppose no matter what anyone tells ya you only learn from your mistakes

8 mile marathon pace run today ,felt good. tommorrow is my long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

SUNGOD wrote: »
    no matter what anyone tells ya you only learn from your mistakes

Definitely, I've just started my Ballycotton log and you'll probably see things on there that I would not advise....probably stems from both feeings of invincibility and insecurity. I've a race tomorrow, so have had an easy week, but all day I'm thinking I'll probably have slowed down after the easy week - rather than feeling confident that I did all the hard work in the preceeding few weeks.

looking forward to reading your log racing flat.today was my long run 16 miles nice and slow went well,it was my first time using a water belt and taking a energy gel. the belt felt weird at first but soon forgot about it and i took the gel at 11 miles i plan on bringing a couple on the marathon so just wanted to try one to see if helped/made me sick etc. hard to tell if it had much of an effect maybe on the longer runs it will be more noticeable

• Advertisement

yesterday was a cross train day so just did some swimming to loosen up. my marathon programme has to altered this week as i have a ten mile race this sunday and want to try for a good time to give myself a better indication of what i should be hopeing for come april , so today is now a rest day i plan to run easy tommorrow and friday winter league on thursday which will be a fast 5.2 rest on saturday and give it a go on sunday

did 6 mile easy tonight , have winter league tommorrw

winter league 5.2 mile in 31.50 min found it tough tonight very cold and windy for the first half
    there are 2/3 more winter league runs but im going to give them a miss as they are contradicting the marathon programme im following ,and much higher chance of injury pushing hard every thursday.so its concentrate on marathon training now with just the 2 ten mile races(dungarvan+ballycotton) between now and connemara

dungarvan 10 mile road race today ,finished in 62 minutes so absolutely delighted with that tried to stick to just over 6 minute mile pace for first 5 and then see how i felt for remainder.i found 6/7 mile hard and slowed slighly but came back strong in 8/9 and just put whatever i had left into last mile. so overall tired but quite content with how things went

Excellent time! Maybe on for sub-60 in Ballycotton? Coming on in leaps and bounds - big improvement from 79mins! Great potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kansaki

I love running! I run and jog, run, jog, run, jog!
    I enjoy it alot, i listen to my ipod when i do it.

Its great for toning you up!

Excellent time! Maybe on for sub-60 in Ballycotton? Coming on in leaps and bounds - big improvement from 79mins! Great potential.

thanks racing flat yeah really delighted with todays run , put an awful lot into it so glad it paid off. lucky with weather too as it was wild out earlier this morning. completely shattered since but worth it . i knew i'd beat the previous of 79 and was hoping 65 or under so very happy . doubt i will break 60 at ballycotton really gave my all today and as you know that kind of time takes some serious dedication, thanks again racing flat lets hope you break 60 for the both of us .

yesterday was a supposed to be a cross train day so i swam but not much just enough to loosen up and a stretch .also had a rubdown booked for the morning as i knew id need it after sunday .today i went back running with a slow 5 mile still a little stiff but otherwise everything grand.

midweek run of 9.5 mile steady pace.

meant to post that im following the hal higdon intermediate 2 marathon programme at the moment in preperation for connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great idea to follow a plan, for anyone who is interested it is here.

What week are you on?

xebec wrote: »
    Great idea to follow a plan, for anyone who is interested it is here.

What week are you on?
    hi xebec
    as i had a fairly good base of running i started on week 8 and i am on week 10 at the moment ,today i went for a 4 mile run. i wont be following it religiously as i have 2 ten mile races among the training but i find it a great guide to tell me what sort of distances i should be running especially the long weekend runs.tommorrow is a rest day then its 9 and 19 over the weekend

9 mile run today on a dirt trail through woods ,the trail is easier on the legs and it breaks up the training just to change where you run and what on

today was my long run so did 19 miles very slow early this morning , set off at 9 o clock and must have passed at least 15 people on the way, road running seems to be very popular at the moment, even last sunday in dungarvan there was a field of 700 runners

Well done. Be careful with the long runs on the road...if you can do some of them on trails/grass might be safer.

• Advertisement

Well done. Be careful with the long runs on the road...if you can do some of them on trails/grass might be safer.

thanks racing flat, yeah i will have to look into that alright, ive started going to a woodlands track on a saturday morning usually a 10 mile course but i will try find somewhere for my longer runs which wont be as severe as all road work.

today was a cross train day so did a small bit of swimming

5 mile run

slow 10 mile run today, tommorrow is the last round of the winter league its 5.2 mile i had a 5 mile run planned anyway so i will run that instead only thing is the pace it will be "as fast as ya can" as opposed to a steady 5 i had in mind but what harm its the last one of the year ,big crowd expected and should be a bit of crack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

apologies in advance for sort of hijacking your thread sungod but I've got a question that maybe one of you seasoned runners can help me with... I've been running since late Autumn and am working towards a half marathon but my problem is consistency.
    I did a brilliant run at the weekend - 9 miles which is my longest so far and I was thrilled with myself. Since then my legs have been tired and heavy and I just can't get more than a couple of miles out of me without struggling.
    I go to the gym twice a week and just do some weights for resistance work and I went swimming on Tuesday and did a good hour which I supposed made my legs even more tired but ffs is there something wrong with me?

On my run at the weekend my legs felt light and I could feel that my pace had quickened and I thought I'd made an improvement.

I have to add that I've recently reduced (not cut out) my carb intake so could that also be a factor? I ate loads of carbs the night before my weekend run.

And I always stretch after running.

Any thoughts, advice etc would be appreciated. I'm very frustrated :(

Dear How Strange, (hope you don't mind Sungod)
    They say for every mile you race it takes the body a day to recover. As you are relatively new to this, ie you ran the longest you have ever run at the weekend, while this was not a race, your body entered new territory so I would imagine it's failry normal to feel a bit tired/heavy legged afterwards, almost as if it was a race. In Bob Glover's book (and I think Noel Carroll wrote about this also) he comments that running is a 365 day a year thing (I think this is a bit much one day off a week suits me better) and that runners will always feel tired in the legs, it's part of it. I run 6 days a week, so my legs are always tired, but after the first few months of running I don't really notice it. As I run 6 days, there are 3 easy runs and 3 hard runs, so if my legs don't feel heavy the day after the hard run, I feel like I didn't work hard enough. so this is where the recovery run comes in - I find it extremely important. I will tend to do an interval speed session on a Tuesday and a tempo run on Thursday. My legs will be dead on Tuesday night, sometimes making it uncomfortable to sleep in the early days. If I don't run on Wednesday I'm still very tight and heavy Thursday so can't really get a great tempo run in. If I do a recovery/easy run Wednesday I am fine Thursday, raring to go. So the recovery run I just go out and jog easy, if the legs ease off I might stay out an hour, if they are very tired 45mins is enough. But then I'm fine for Thursday, so I really hate to miss the recovery run.
    As you get more used to the running and your body accommodates you will tolerate more running and you may not feel as tired/heavy legged. Saying that after a marathon I take 2 full weeks off and only at the end of this 2 weeks do my legs start to feel normal again, ie what they felt like 4 years ago, so my legs are always tired, I've just got used to it. That's also a reason why it's important to train down coming up to a race.

Continue running, get enough rest (see below), eat well (I read that it's important to replenish energy stores wityin 30mins of exercise, so I will have a carbohydrate drink with proteins immediately after a run. Seems to help me recover quicker, but maybe it's placebo - if so, great!) and as you see fit introduce recovery runs and this problem will gradually ease up.

In relation to rest, a rule of thumb is for every mile a week you run you need an extra minute of sleep a night. So, I run 50miles a week so I need 50mins sleep extra every night compared to if I wasn't running. so I go to bed at 9.30 every night. Bummer in work when everyone is talking about what was on telly the night before as I was asleep!!!

I'm a bit envious of you - I remember being back there, the buzz of running for an hour for the first time, the first time doing a 10miler, 2hour run, 20miler, 3hour run etc. - all great landmarks. Mine are all time based now, 3k in 10mins, 10miles in 60mins and marathon in 3hours are 3 goals for 2008...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

hey thanks Racing Flat, lots of good advice in there for me.

Apologies Sun God, that's me done now!

hi how strange no hassle its good to see other people getting something out of these logs ,im still relatively new to running and even though my times are improving i wouldnt be the best on the technical/theory side of things. to be honest i probably would have advised you to PM racing flat ,so thanks racing flat couldnt have answered it better myself(thank god i didnt have to!!)

last night of winter league tonight 5.2 miles great night for running conditions were perfect so the pace was very fast and numbers were down due to something to do with the 14th of feb dont ask me what! what would anyone have to do tonight that would be more important then a 5 mille run ?( yeah im single alright),anyway numbers were down so not too congested felt really good the whole way round the time on track clock was 49:28, i have a 19 min handicap so it works out at 30:28 which if its right will be my best 5.2 time by a full minute (i will have to wait until i get offical time on the WAC website on monday as i genuinely didnt think i ran as well as that) so fingers crossed

Probably equates to a 29.00-29.30 5mile - excellent going. As long as the long runs are going well also, you should have a great marathon.

• Advertisement

10 mile run on woodlands track

Advertisement