Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Peckham wrote: »
    Tough break - hopefully you'll get some better news on your return to the physio on Tuesday. Any cross-training plans for the next few days, or will you go with total rest?

total rest for a few days then into pool and gym(bike).
    all i can do is follow the physio's instructions , do a bit of cross training and enjoy the rest..
    hopefully back running in 10-14 days which leaves me 10-14 days to loosen up before connemara .
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Hi SUNGOD, well its good you have all the hard stuff behind you. Hopefully these next 10 days will benefit you from a rest point of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

sorry to hear that SG, hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Any update on your injury SG,hope its gettin better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hope you're back running soon to take your rightful place on the leaderboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Timing mightn't be the worst...Bummer all the same.

Do the physiotherapist give any indication as to why this happened? I wonder if 30mile and 26mile runs are too hard on the body - a bit like they say the last 4 miles of a marathon when your bones and cartilage have already taken 22 miles of punding they are extra vulnerable to injury and so this is when the damage gets done? I don't know a lot about ultra marathon training but I think remember your man Mangan saying before that the main thing is back to back long runs - 20 Sat 20 Sunday but other than that their training would not differ too much from normal marathon training, that they wouldn't go overly long very often.

Hopefully the rest will do you good anyway and you'll be bouncing on the starting lline in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

SUNGOD wrote: »
    went to the phtsio today and it looks like its worse then i thought.
    it turns out the right calf is damaged and swollen, it felt as hard as a rock but i had hoped it was'nt that bad, and the left shin is damaged as well.
    the upshot is 2 weeks rest

I have huge issues with many physios when it comes to niggles that are picked up from running and their advice. Besides my current physio every physio I've been to always said to take a week to two weeks off and that would sort it. Since changing to the current guy I haven't missed more than a day at any time due to niggles. He treats the problem rather than just telling you what it is and to rest it.

im still off the road
    second physio session last night and im back with him on saturday, hopefully back running early next week.

RF i would agree with you that i did not have to do 26/30 mile runs and looking back i should have sticking to double LSR's .
    but as i had done this for dublin i felt i needed to change for the ultra..i was wrong.
    i was comfortable with the 20/22 mile doubles so should have used this programme again .
    in hindsight i prob should have trained the same as i did for dublin just maybe adding in a couple of extra doubles.
    im not just saying this because im injured but its something i have been thinking about for the last few weeks..but i thought i made a decision to train like this so follow it through.
    the physio said its just too much running without enough rest between sessions and the sheer volume of miles.
    my calf was like a rock and god he hurt it trying to free it

hi SP thankfully my physio is treating the injury and not just telling me to rest
    have to admit i left out a little scream when he was working on it last night:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sungod - any update on how things are going for you? Are you back on the road yet?

hi peckham i had my first run in nearly 3 weeks over the weekend and everything feels ok.
    im back to physio on wednesday but he is confident that i will be grand on the day.there is no pain or discomfort so i will deffinitely be going to connemara on saturday.
    the plan is to get in a couple of short runs in before saturday just to loosen up the legs as i did feel a bit stiff running, after the 3 week layoff.

• Advertisement

Good to hear that you're still going to be able to race. Was worried about you!

i had my last run before sunday today. a 6 mile run with Sosa
    an update of the last month ..after the kilmac 5 mile race on the 22th of feb i had roughly three weeks out with a couple of injuries .
    im back running since last thursday and thankfully the legs feel great and are showing no ill effects of the injuries.
    it was far from ideal missing the time and the first few runs back i felt very sluggish and stiff afterwards but ive put in 48 miles and i know its too much in a taper week but i felt i had to just get used to running again.
    anyway today was my last run im resting tommorrow and travelling saturday and probabily roaring,shouting,screaming,curseing and crying on sunday:D

total miles:553

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

yeah good luck totch, break a leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Best of luck SUNGOD, gonna be a long time on your feet... did you bring a book to read LOL :D

MCOS wrote: »
    Best of luck SUNGOD, gonna be a long time on your feet... did you bring a book to read LOL :D

its ok i have a bit of knitting i need to catch up on:D

Best of luck Sungod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Ya see you Sunday Sungod. Good luck to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Abhainn wrote: »
    Ya see you Sunday Sungod. Good luck to us

Good luck to both of you, now go to bed Abhainn, its the night before the night before.:)

thanks Abhainn MCOS , slogger and DP
    just heading out the door now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Meant to catach ya sooner SUNGOD but best of luck tomorrow looking forward to reading the update.

just back from galway, what can i say it was a brilliant expierence i came 9th in a time of 5:22:12 .
    it was great to meet a few from boards, ultraman,aquagirl,wally runs,magnet and Abhainn
    i ran with abhainn and a french guy called julian for the first 19 miles and even though i felt ok i knew i wasnt going to be able to keep that pace up for another 20 so i let Abhainn and julian off and i slowed by about a min a mile .
    this ment that i finished quite comfortably and never really suffered.
    the run itself went great , i took 2 walking breaks one on the hill out of leeane and one on the hell of the west.

total miles:592.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Sungod, great acomplishment. How did the injury hold up.

Well done Sungod. Went searching for your name when the provisional results came out. Was delighted to see that you finished, and even happier when I saw how high you placed.

What's that now - top 10 in full marathon last year, and top 10 in ultra this year? You'll have to work on the speed and do the same in the half next year! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

9th?! Fantastic result. Congrats and enjoy your rest! (You will rest, right?!).

Well done. Can't iamgine an ultra...marathon is bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done sungod! Great work considering your enforced layoff / extended taper. Top 10 two years in a row, all you need is another two in a row and it will be like you're from kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Sungod as a newbie to boards and a mere spectator at the connemarathon I just wanted to say a serious congrats on the ultra! I spotted the first few ultras coming through so I'm sure I spotted ya! Just wanted to say serious congrats. I'm in awe of you guys!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

capital running SG,

• Advertisement

An inspired run Sungod. Delighted to see you got through it okay despite your recent injury setback. Well done.

Advertisement