Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

last run of any consequence before sunday ,tommorrow and friday are rest days and i plan to do 2 miles saturday morning before i head to connemara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

SUNGOD wrote: »
    last run of any consequence before sunday ,tommorrow and friday are rest days and i plan to do 2 miles saturday morning before i head to connemara

Best of luck on Sunday :) It's been interesting watching your work up to the marathon distance while I've been preparing for a 10k on Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Enjoy Sunday, looks like its back to hats and gloves! Had meant to sign up for the Connemara half marathon myself but didn't feel I'd have enough done in time. Have you a finish time in mind?

xebec wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday :) It's been interesting watching your work up to the marathon distance while I've been preparing for a 10k on Sunday too.

thanks xebec
    best of luck in your 10k as well, we will have to log in on sunday night to see how each other got on

ike wrote: »
    Enjoy Sunday, looks like its back to hats and gloves! Had meant to sign up for the Connemara half marathon myself but didn't feel I'd have enough done in time. Have you a finish time in mind?

thanks ike , yeah forecast is not great but we cant do anything about that .
    not to sure about predicting a time ,i would be more comfortable predicting on a flat course with good weather and its my first maraton so ya never know.i have been saying i will just start running ,enjoy the expierance and leave the time look after itself but if pushed i would just say 3 and a half hours and see what happens

• Advertisement

sitting down,lounging around ,standing up , stretching and eating pasta life is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Good luck tomorrow mate, you only get one first marathon so enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Sungod,
    Best of luck tomorrow.
    Only bit of advice - don't go out too fast!
    Enjoy,
    RF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

congrats SUNGOD

connemarathon earlier, finished in 3:08 so very happy with that
    hi racing flat pity i didnt see your post before i left as going out to fast was the one mistake i made , i ran the first half in 1:26 and died about mile 19 really struggled from then on .but thats typical of me i have read numerous times about not going out to fast and try run the first half slower then the second(negitive split) but i felt good so just went for it and paid the price, i just cant learn a lesson until ive made the mistake personally.
    but all in all i really enjoyed the day and its all a learning expierance
    i reckon on a flat course and running a lot cuter i could deffinitely improve on the time

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow mate, you only get one first marathon so enjoy the experience.

cheers Odysseus really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next on

longshanks wrote: »
    congrats SUNGOD

jaysus longshanks you got in quick
    thanks, wont be long till i rope you in on one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

SUNGOD wrote: »
    jaysus longshanks you got in quick
    thanks, wont be long till i rope you in on one!

you could be right on that one, i'm kind of developing an itch thats gonna need scratching. doubt i'll be doing it in 3.08 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

All Hail SUNGOD - 3:08 thats fantastic! Well done, its a tough couse by all accounts combined with yesterdays weather didn't make it any easier. Looks like the magical sub 3hr is within your sights!!!

Time to put the feet up for a short while now!..Well done again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Great time full stop.
    Incredible time considering debut mararthon, connemara's very hard etc. Well done.
    The old going out too fats is so hard to resist....next time splits of 90, 89 would be nice!

thanks ike , racing flat
    headin off for a weeks holidays so going to enjoy a well earned rest

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Wow Sungod, thats an amazing time! Dosent look like I'll be joining you on any of your Portlaw runs unless you give me a 5mile headstart.....

Enjoyed my 1st Connemarathon yesterday. Finished in 4:38. A Was aiming at a 4 hour marathon and had been averaging 9 to 9.5 minute miles for my long 20 mile runs. Picked up a knee injury during the week(which I didnt think too serious) but it really started hurting at about mile 10. Walked a good 4-5 miles of it. Anyway, really enjoyed the day and it was pretty emotional finishing. Got to see a doctor this week and sort out this problem but I'm hooked! I'm definitely doing the Dublin marathon in october. Enjoy your holiday Sungod:)

hi cormac it dont matter how ya do it as long as ya did it. its just great to say im a marathon finisher . had a goood holiday ,didnt do any running just ate ice cream and steak and chips for a week but what harm back training for cork now . i have to say i really enjoyed connemara but i do think i can go a little bit better in time ,either way i found out i finished 9th overall in the marathon .yeah thats me sneaking in ,in a time of 3:08:59 .i was delighted with the time but to come ninth now i know its a small field and not a glamour event but its the first time i have ever run that distance so im chuffed to bits.

oops should have checked again somone must have been omitted by mistake from provisional results, i finished 10th

went for first run last night since marathon ,did a very slow 5 mile and a few min warm up and cool down on bike just to ease back in to it felt great and wanted to push on but didnt as i wanted to see how i would be today .
    and today i feel great heading out again later so i will see how that goes have'nt decided on a distance yet.
    i have entered the cork marathon in june so as long as everything feels ok i will be back training for that starting from this weekend

• Advertisement

did 7 miles earlier felt good starting but got stiff and tired as i went on
    think a days rest is on the cards

think im suffering a post marathon hangover as im just very tired and listless coming down with a cold/flu/chest infection , im a man it will be the black death by sunday.
    so just going to felax for the weekend and see how im going on monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

excellent going sungod, great time, take a few vit c and zinc and relax for the weekend,well deserved

back in the land of the living,thank god. spent most of the weekend in bed a combination of a bad flu and and just being very run down ment that all i was able to do was sleep and eat. but i suppose my body was just crying out for the rest.
    anyway feeling a bit better today still not 100% but getting there , i did about 25 minutes on a threadmill today and i was shattered after it.
    its the first time ive used one in years and god i found it hard, the time just goes so slow on them . now i remember why i dont like threadmills 10 minutes on one feels like an hour as i cant help myself from constantly watching the clock where as if i run outside time doesnt come in to it.
    feel very bloated after my couple of weeks of excess but i suppose it wont take too long to get back to where i was.
    cork is only 6 weeks away which would give me about 4 and 1/2 weeks training and 1 and 1/2 weeks taper still undecided about what to do.
    if i do run cork i think i will go around with a couple of friends of mine who will go around in about 4 hours, they are currently at 16 miles and may only go as far as 18/19. i would still love to give the marathon another crack but cork is too close for that so maybe just finish the cork mararthon rest and recuperate and then give dublin the full 18 weeks prep and hopefully get a P.B
    having done the hal higdon intermediate 2 programme for connemara i dont know weather to use the same programme for dublin and hope that i just naturally improve or maybe try a different programme
    anyway it will give me something to research on the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

heh Sungod sorry to hear about your recent illness. Take it easy on your training just yet though.
    I was lucky after Conn. I only got a slight cold and I think that was due to not covering my legs for bike ride the week after.
    I see your disappointment in giving Cork a right go, but I would still do it and enjoy it. Consider it as an easy long training run!
    I kinda followed the Hal Inter II program for Conn (Well same weekly milage). Going to try new stuff for Berlin. I am thinking of moving up to the Advanced I.
    Prior to that I will be working on my speed and have set some good targets in shorter races before then.
    Also doing a couple of tri's so I hope this will make me stronger.
    Anyway good luck and keep the log going!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Jeez Sungod, take it handy. Sounds like a dose! You'll be grand for Cork. Once you're up and going again you'll fly it..
    I felt crap after Conn too with a cold and my right knee was really sore too. After a good rest and massage and icing every day I've felt really good since. My plan is to do 15-20 miles per week for the next while until I start the 18 week plan for Dublin. Wanted to do Cork too but I'm going to Florida and Mexico for 6 weeks. Tough going:D

Cormac

BTW, pm me if you're interested in going for a run in the next couple weeks around Portlaw..

hi abhainn , im in the same boat as your self as in i did the intermediate 2 prog and think i will mix it up for dublin ,i think i will deff introduce some speed work in to it if i really want to improve. and if nothing else it will at least freshen up my training and make it a bit more interesting ,good luck in berlin its a marathon i want to do at some stage maybe next year

hi cormac , yeah just about ok now after connemara didnt realise it would take so much out of me, i havent been out in portlaw in a while but if im going out in the next few weeks i will deff give you a shout (a nice handy run up to the wind turbines:eek:).enjoy your holiday, 6 weeks go on zeppe!!!!

nearly forgot to post my training, so far this week ive been out thurs 6 miles,fri 6 miles, today 4 miles .
    feeling stronger with every run so with 5 weeks to go i will try 10 miles tommorrow and build to 20 over the next 3 weeks then taper down.
    its not ideal prep and nowhere near what i put in for connemara but its just the way things are going so thats life. will probably go around cork with 2 friends that are running it and maybe try run a reasonable first half and a quick second half ,still not sure what to do ,im changing my mind like sky news "on the hour every hour". i will prob have a different plan come the day but what harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi glad to hear your back on the road to recovery. I have to second abhainn go for Cork and see how you do either way its another marathon under your belt. However if you want some extra time how about Longford its a nice course and is in August if I remember correctly. Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Advertisement

thanks Odysseus yeah cork is looking like a marathon to do and enjoy without really pushing myself and then give dublin the full attention.
    just reading ike and woddles and everyone agrees it was some morning for a run absolutely glorious it makes some difference getting up to clear skys and sunshine to go running, it is much easier, i went with my 2 friends who are doing cork i had planned on 10 to 12 but as it turned out we did 17 miles.it was a bit more then i had intended and i did feel fairly tired on the last 4 mile but its done now so im happy i did it as it will all stand to me.

Advertisement