Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

rested yesterday so was itching to get going tonight ended up doing just over 6 miles and picked up the pace gradually over the last 2 so finished at full pelt, ran with 3 friends so i enjoyed it . hit the gym then for abot 45 min on bike. after reading ikes log im considering getting a garmin as the one thing i dont know and would like to is exactly what pace im running , especially when i will be training for dublin i would like to run my race pace runs at exactly that...race pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Pity Garmin don;t have a "Recommed a Friend" scheme I'd be worth a fortune by now! :D

if only you were on commission ike :D. i ran early this morning as i had a bit of free time did a slow 6 mile ,will probably get out again in the morning

another great morning did 10 miles early , this good weather running really is great .

wondering what surfaces other runners train on and how many miles, road grass ,track? the majority of mine is on road but im trying to vary it to incorporate some softer runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey sungod, good question, I'll be interested in the answers myself,
    70% on road, 20% on treadmill, 10% on grass.
    If I'm feeling achy I'll always go for the treadmill,waiting for the missis to come home so I can go to marlay park which will be grass

• Advertisement

out for 10 mile run today , plan for the weekend is rest tommorrow and a 20 mile run on sunday morning .might get one more 20 in before cork but not sure will just have to wait and see how things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SUNGOD wrote: »
    wondering what surfaces other runners train on and how many miles, road grass ,track? the majority of mine is on road but im trying to vary it to incorporate some softer runs

Heh SUNGOD find it difficult running on the grass and pick up niggles if doing so, even though I spent years training on it for the GAA. Presently running 3 times per week. 2 runs are on the road and the third a speed work session on a fine gravel track. Get in two good bike rides / week between the runs also.

thanks abhainn , yeah the general feedback is most runners on here do the majority on road with some on track/grass. as i do all mine on road i will change at least 2 of my weekly runs . im changing my tuesday run to a speed session on our local running track with my club(i joined the local A.C club but have yet to run with them) and there is a organised run every monday on the beach so i might do this as well . changing my routine will help in two ways firstly taking some of the pounding out of my joints and running with/against people is easier and i will push myself more.

todays run was a 20 mile run which took us(myself and 3 other lads doing cork) two hours and fifty minutes
    weather was terrible early but from when we started to when we finished we it just got nicer and nicer

the weather was so good this morning i went out for a light run before i went for jacuzzi/sauna in leisure centre. starting to feel like im getting back to where i was before connemara so its all good, i have a 7.5 roadrace on the 17th so it will be interesting to see how i get on at that . i will be tapering down after that so will prob give it a right go

went for a 10 mile run yesterday followed by 30 mins on bike .will probably get out again this evening and rest tomorrow before a 10 and 20 on saturday and sunday

• Advertisement

yeah managed to get out for 7.5 mile, weather was'nt great but it was still very enjoyable ,now rest tomorrow and crack on over the weekend

had planned to do 10 today but ended up doing a quick 7 miles in 48 minutes .
    hope to get out early in the morning as the forecast is good and would like to hit the beach for the day if possible

unfortunately the beach is not looking to likely as even though its warm its not that sunny but thems the breaks . decided to time my long run this morning, i was on the road at 8:00am and did 20.2 miles in 2:47min

good to see racing flat is back with a marathon log , i found his ballycotton log very interesting , its good to see how people who are much more expieranced then yourself train and prepare for races

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Hi Sungod, good going. Thanks for that race list. I may get around to a few of them although I'm always gigging and on the road(driving!) most weekend nights. Sounds like you're well prepared for the Cork marathon:)

Cormac

50 min on bike after a day at the beach absolutely shattered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CodedFire

Wow, id say the sand gives some serious resistance to that workout!

10 miles at abut 6pm still very hot tough going

10 miles again yesterday starting to enjoy running in the warm weather

quick 6 mile and 30 min on bike, tommorrow will be a rest day as i have a 7.5 race on saturday evening

7.5 mile road race finished in a time of 45:59 quickened at finish to get under 46 and think i did,offical results will be on club website probabily mon/tue. felt very tired over the first mile which is not unusual for me as it does take me a little while to settle/relax but got stronger as it went on and really pushed the last half mile so overall very happy, its not far off the pace i would be hoping for to break an hour in ballycotton.but at the moment that can wait till next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

7.5 mile road race finished in a time of 45:59 quickened at finish to get under 46 and think i did

Nice! Well done :)
    its not far off the pace i would be hoping for to break an hour in ballycotton.but at the moment that can wait till next year

Em, you'll have to wait till next year... At that pace you should have no problems breaking 60 mins for the 10 miles, some specific training for it and you'll be flying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

+1 congratulations, you worked hard for it and deserved it.

xebec wrote: »
    Nice! Well done :)

Em, you'll have to wait till next year... At that pace you should have no problems breaking 60 mins for the 10 miles, some specific training for it and you'll be flying :)

thanks xebec yeah im about 10 months ahead of myself :D, i just always try calculate my current race time in relation to goals i have like ballycotton/marathon local 4/5 mile races . felt stronger as it went on so your right with some specific training ballycotton could be on

thanks Odysseus its good to see the training pay off at least you know your going in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done SUNGOD, great time, will be next year before I hope to get near something like that. I always have the same problem with the first mile even on training runs - Not long til Cork now!

thanks ike , its only a matter of time for you and a year will fly .look back at your log to see your progress , we cant see how well we are going cos we are too close to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

yeah as above fair play to you, keep up the good work:D

thanks woddle

i went for a 6 mile run tonight at an easy pace just to ease back into it after the weekend, still great running conditions out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

That was a great run saturday SG, I'm assuming Waterford to Tramore given the unusual distance.
    If it was you're mixing it with pretty good company there, saw the results on the website. Was meant to do it (was trying to do all 10 of the summer series this year) but was at a communion in cork and never got back in time. Did it in 56 last year and would have been happy with the same this year.

• Advertisement

hi showry yeah it was the waterford to tramore run i came in at 46:00 going by the web site so very happy with that , where are you based im in waterford city im guessing your west waterford ?

Advertisement