Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I'm in Dungarvan, working in the city though so it's handy to get over to the track at lunchtimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

ment to post this earlier i did 6 miles yesterday. and hopefully getting out again this evening

24th 10 mile
    25th 5 mile
    26th rest
    27th 6 mile
    28th 10 mile

rest now with maybe 3/4 mile on friday and 2/3 on sunday and then cork on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Hi Sungod, good luck on monday. The forecast is good, could be pretty warm too. A lot different than the Connemarathon:D Jeez I cant wait 'til I can run in temperatures under 30C again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

yea second zeppe.
    Even after that illness after Conn you have a great base for Cork.
    If you decide to give it a good go you should better Conn time. And your recent race indicates that.
    I had a good run in the Newry half on Mon. Even after two good running sessions and one strong bike ride since then I have now to try hold onto this as 15 days in Cyprus starts tomorrow. All running gear is packed as always
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

thanks abhainn and cormac, yeah looking forward to it now feel fairly good so fingers crossed everything goes according to plan, im deff going to try better my connemara time ,weather i do and if so by how much i will have to wait and see.

well done in newry abhainn enjoy your R&R in cyprus with the odd run thrown in for good measure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Best of luck down there mate, hope you get the timing you want. However, remember to enjoy the event, you put a lot of work in to get where you are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

enjoy Cork and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Although I think it's crazy doing two marathons so close together, best of luck in Cork tomorrow! Nice and steady, keep hydrated etc etc and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Good luck tomorrow, enjoy the sunshine and keep the fluids going down...

• Advertisement

thanks lads your support is very much appreciated, the marathon went well today .i was determined that i was not going to make the same mistake as in connemara and go out too fast only to suffer on the second half ,so i started at 7 min miles and settled comfortably enough , i stayed at 7's up to about the 16 mile mark and started to drop off a bit so i slowed it a little to steady myself and pushed on again for the last 4/5 miles. i actually finished quite strong so apart from the slight wobble in the middle i was very happy with the race, time wise it felt like i was much faster then connemara as i never really struggled or was in too much pain at the end , dont get me wrong im walking like john wayne at the moment .so my time , i finished in 3:06 which is 2 minutes up on connemara and i have to say i enjoyed cork much more running wise because as i said i didnt have to really suffer to finish in a good time.
    the marathon itself i thought was well run with plenty of water etc during and after the race, really enjoyed it so all going well i will be back again next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

excellent stuff sungod, great time, and with the hot weather aswell. super stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Congrats SUNGOD a 3:06 marathon is impressive by any standards.

Also found the organisation to be excellent, have a feeling this marathon will grow in stature each year.

Well done again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Great time Sungod! Its nice to enjoy the run too. You're gonna go sub 3 hr very soon I'd say. Now if I could do a sub 4 hour, I'd be happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

excellent time, well done

Great time. You seem to be a natural at the marathon. Well done. Enjoy the rest.
    RF

thanks lads appreciate the support

RF, i didnt feel like a natural this morning when it took me ten minutes to bend down and put on my socks !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i didnt feel like a natural this morning when it took me ten minutes to bend down and put on my socks !:D

Yes I am somewhat familiar with the sensation, it get you every time dont't it :)

However, 3.06 that amazing mate, seriously I really respect anyone who can keep up the contant momentum required to achieve a time like that, congrats. We will be expecting a sub three off you soon.

have just been relaxing since mon 2th , so even though i needed the rest im starting to get a bit restless . i reckon i might wander out tommorrow morning for a couple of miles just to ease back into it

went for a 4 mile slow run earlier ,it took me at least a mile to loosen up and feel anyway comfortable and even then i was still a little stiff and awkward

• Advertisement

easy does it on the way back. What's your next target?

slowly stretching out my long run. Did 17 this am in 2.13. I always find the last few miles quite tough, but still 16 odd weeks to go.

hi RF next up is dublin, so the plan is to incorporate some speedwork( my club do a speed session on tuesdays that im going to start going to) clean up my diet a bit more as i can eat great for 4 days and disastrous for 3, and really give dublin a good shot. obviously i would love to go under 3 hours but in reality if i just keep improving my training and preperation the time will look after it self, maybe i will be lucky enough to go under 3 maybe not . either way i intend on giving it a right go and enjoying myself along the way

very slow 5 miles today felt good still took a little while to loosen up but once i did get going i felt ok, going to rest tommorrow and run again on tuesday . planning on having a chat with the instructor in gym about suggesting a weights programme for me nothing too intense just something for my upper body as at present i do nothing for it, might say it to him during the week if gym is not too busy.

rested today so feeling refreshed and raring to go, the plan is to get up early in the morning and go for 5/6 mile.
    the one thing that i dislike about marathon training is the inactivity in the taper and post marathon. now i know rest is essential but i do find it hard to do little or nothing for days on end , but if intend on doing any more marathon i suppose i had better get used t it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭birdie08

yep..rest is just as important:)

i have been running 6 miles a day since i posted last,last night i did 10 laps of a park which is exactly 1k per lap and marked every 200, so i broke it up into fast 200 recovery 400 , fast 400 recovery 600 etc untill i had the 10 laps done i kept the recovery very slow. so im resting today and will probably move out to 10 miles tommorrow

hi sungod, u have some stamina, any tips for me?? im new to it

hi birdie08 you've got to be stubborn, single minded and consistent in your training . start low and short and slowly build it up , everyone is different but i would deffinitely reccommend joining a club or at least following a structured plan such as hal higdon's so you can see on paper your miles per week and the gradual build up of your weekly miles and the length of your long slow run.

i asume you are talking about marathon stamina:D

yes sungod:rolleyes:... the marathon..ok in other areas:p

• Advertisement

did my usual 6 mile run this morning , i was going to go for the 10 but decided against it , i will probably wait till sunday or monday for that .
    i came across a 21 week marathon training plan which i might start on monday(which will be week 19) counting down to dublin in oct.

Advertisement