Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run run run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

12 mile run today , i had a rest day yesterday so decided to lengthen my run today , but its back to the programme tommorrow as i have been straying from it recently im not too worried as it still so far to go but still nice to get back on track.

still playing around with a weights programme so went to gym early to try do some before my run, i managed to get on the machines no problem but as the free weights section is only 1 adjustable bench and a rack of dumbells the only free weights i got to do were bicep curls as there was 3 people trying to use the one bench . by the time i got the bench the 2 fellas i was going running with had arrived so that was that.
    i reckon my weight training will consist of just changing the programme to 3x8 of a reasonable weight on the various machines and bicep curls .and bench press with dumbells , dumbell rows etc whenever i can grab the bench.
    so anyway after that 4 of us in total headed off for a 10 mile run all going to plan i should be out again in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Can be annoying when you can't get a bench alright :mad:
    You could add stuff like Military presses, lateral raises into he mix as well, and pull-ups as well as they don't need a bench obviously! :)

hi eclectihoney thanks for that im fairly clueless when it comes to weights so any advice is welcome i will have to google military press and lateral raises to see exactly what they are and how they are done:o as it would be very handy to have a ready made programme to do if i cant get to use the bench and only have a limited amount of time before i go running.
    the limited gym never bothered me before because i only used the leisure centre to run from and then relax in sauna/steam room/pool afterwards , occasionally i would use a exercise bike but thats it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Check out ExRx for explanations of exercises, lots of other information on the website too showing alternative exercises for when some equipment is limited.

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Check out ExRx for explanations of exercises, lots of other information on the website too showing alternative exercises for when some equipment is limited.

thanks xebec absolutely perfect for me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

SUNGOD, don't make the mistake that 90% of beginners do when starting a weights programme i.e. forgetting / avoiding training their legs.

You can do the following leg exercises with dumbbells:

- Lunges
    - Single Leg Split Squats
    - Standing Calf Raise
    - Goblet Squat

Have a look on youtube if you need videos. It would be best to do your run first, and then end up at the gym so that you can finish off with these weights for your legs (as I see from your log that running is your primary goal, not weight training, ...plus running after these will be hard).

hi bossarky i was under the impression that because i was running as much as i am i didnt need to work my legs ,just my upper body. but as you said the more i research its becoming clearer that it would be benificial to work my legs as well. there are 4 machines in my gym which are for legs which i will look in to and i will take your suggestions on board as well .the plan is to do a bit more research and finalize a weights programme i can follow over the next week or so and post it up and if im still missing something or doing something glaringly wrong i would as always welcome the advice thanks bossarky

was in gym early to try have it too myself so i could try out some of the weight lifting advice ive received lately , just trying bench press with dumbells/dumbell rows//dead lift etc was playing around with some other ones as well and i will post when i (a) finally settle on a plan and (b) can remember from the time it takes me to get from PC to gym exactly what they are called and how they are done. ive been looking at the site xebec suggested which suits me as i have no expierence of weights.
    so after that i did some pressups and stomach work before heading for run,14 miles in total .

went for a slow easy recovery run of 6 miles and then spent the rest of night in sauna/steam room/jacuzzi to relax and unwind , just what i needed tonight as i was feeling tired after after 3 resonably long runs fri/sat/sun of 12/10/14.

• Advertisement

quick 6 mile run not sure of pace exactley i reckon 6:30 per mile
    felt very strong the whole way round which was surprising as i had a tough day and then went straight on run, but i suppose when you feel good just enjoy it

14 mile run tonight im going on stag friday so will have to try rearange runs etc over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

it's amazing how it takes over your life isn't it? even a previous no-brainer like a stag takes on added complications

• Registered Users Posts: 46 OneBarrel

hi all, thanks for all the info. i'm 36, been a joger on and off for 10 years. got back into it 1 month ago but an old problem is interfering with my progress. I get horrendous shin splint no matter how much stretching I do after the first mile and limp my way back every evening. it used to recede after a week or two but now im in my 5th week and no improvment. any advise/strecthing book recommendation/web-links would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

OneBarrel wrote: »
    hi all, thanks for all the info. i'm 36, been a joger on and off for 10 years. got back into it 1 month ago but an old problem is interfering with my progress. I get horrendous shin splint no matter how much stretching I do after the first mile and limp my way back every evening. it used to recede after a week or two but now im in my 5th week and no improvment. any advise/strecthing book recommendation/web-links would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there, you are better off posting in the main fitness forum.

OneBarrel wrote: »

hi onebarrel thankfully i have had no expierence of shin splints so i cant be of much help to you, but like celestial said maybe if ya post on the main fitness forum or even athletics or marathon forums you might have more luck

nice steady 6 mile run tonight followed by a well deserved soak in the sauna/jacuzzi etc as we got soaked on the run.
    as jim royal would say........JULY , MY ARSE

friday 4th july 6 mile run before heading to kinsale for stag
    enjoyed it and just took it as a major cheat day gorged on food i knew i shouldnt be eating, well the main meals were good choices mainly fish but after that i ate a lot of cakes/choc and this morning i had a fry that would have choked an ass , even on way home im thinking i had a monster fry so todays diet is screwed so "may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" so stopped for more goodies on the drive home. not ideal but i dont make a habit of it anymore and i know im out in the morning for 18 miles and back on the straight and narrow so not to worry

the planned 16 for yesterday became 6 because of a number of things so i just enjoyed the run yesterday and did the 16 today instead , finished in just under 2 hours . didnt start till half six PM which is not ideal i much prefer doing my long runs first thing in the morning when the road/streets are not busy and as a rule i find im more relaxed on long runs first thing in the mornings dont know why maybe im just used to that time now.

6 miles today , plan on 10 tommorrow rest on thursday and then a 5 mile race on friday. i had said that i would be following the bredan o shea marathon programme but so far i have only been following it about half of each week with the other half just doing my own runs on the plus side i have been getting most of the weekend runs in.hopefully as the time progresses i will adhere to it more

• Advertisement

10 mile run earlier which turned into good hard session, 3 of us set out and picked a course which has 2 steady climbs along the way probably each about a half mile long. so the run was steady enough untill we came to the hills then increase speed up the hill and recover with a slow jog before tackling the next hill. very tiring but well worth it . tommorrow is a rest day which i need before race on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

sounds like a good run. i hope to get back to full fitness again, and be able to attempt something similar. enjoy the log... it's encouraging to me anyway! good luck with race on fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SUNGOD best of luck yourself today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck, but as the saying goes,
    `Its funny the more I train, the luckier I get`

dungarvan 5 mile tonight finished in 28:48 by my watch official results will be out in a couple of days, either way im delighted to break 29 as my previous PB was 29:30 so all in all a great night and very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Great time, you're going well, steadily improving. Keep it up.

some time SG, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done sungod. You are owning that sub 3 hour, Keep up the good work.

offical results out yesterday i actually finished in 28:57 so a little slower than i thought ,not sure how my watch was 8 seconds faster but what harm i broke 29 for the first time and clocked 5:47 per mile which gives me a lot of confidence that hopefully i can break the hour for the 10 mile in ballycotton some day.and it was great to just let rip on a shorter distance just to see how my speed is shaping up.

went for a very slow 10 miler yesterday followed by sauna jacuzzi etc
    and today was as god intended....a day of rest.

• Advertisement

was talking to someone else this morning who reckoned they were short changed about 8 secs as well, my watch said 33:57 and they gave me 34:00, I'd have taken 33:59 just to be officially under 34

Advertisement