Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Indoor Track and Field Thread - Road to Valencia and Beijing

• 08-01-2008 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

The Indoor T&F season gets into full swing in the next fortnight, both domestically and Internationally, with our own AAI games taking place this coming Sunday in our splendid indoor facility in Nenagh (affectionately called "The ice-box" by many, due to its resemblance to the Arctic, temperature-wise!).

The last few months since the '07 outdoor season ended have been painful for me, with just the cross-country meetings to satisfy my thirst for competition results, stat's and scandal! Don't get me wrong, I like the cross-country season, and have developed a strong interest in it this season more than ever before, but track and field is where the excitement lies for me.

So I decided to set up this thread for predictions, results, discussions and so on.

There's a lot riding on this indoor campaign; the World's are back again, this time coming from Valencia: http://www.iaaf.org/WIC08/index.html
    Some athletes will skip it completely, while others will be looking to end the season with some silverware:
    • Can O' Rourke defend her World title successfully, or will Kallur, Powell, etc. steal it from her?
    • Will Gillick launch an attack on the World indoor title, having taken the Euro equivalent twice over?
    • Further afield, will Sotherton, Ennis or Blonska knock Kluft from her throne?

The indoor season will also be providing valuable competition in preparation for the Olympics, which according to the games' official website is just 213 days away.

On the Irish front, my thoughts are as follows:
    1. I was bitterly dissapointed that O' Rourke skipped the indoor season last time around, and I'm glad she's decided to defend her title. The shorter distance has seemed to favour her more than the added 40m outdoors, and I think she can definitely medal, if not defend her Gold. All, of course, will depend on how she's adapted with Malcolm Arnold in Bath. She couldn't be under better guidance though with his hurdles C.V, and she's working with a quality training group.
    2. I'm undecided on Gillick. He set the 2nd fastest time in the world indoors in '07, so he, Like Derval, has what it takes to make the final at least.
    3. I doubt Joanne Cuddihy will compete indoors, but she'd be serious contender after the times she posted last year.
    4. I think Hession can lower the NR again this season.

So, any predictions and/or thoughts before the season starts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

I think Gillick is set for a super season. He has settled in Loughborough and its worked for him. He seems to be enjoying the sport and for example his support and involvement in Project 400 is an example of this. He has his A standard and so is willing to put effort into getting the relay team to Beijing, its rare enough in an individual sport for this to happen. He seems happy and enjoying it, got over his slump after winning the Euros the first time and performed very well in Osaka. Loves the limelight but now has a good balance, sometimes you need the limelight and the pressure to really perform as Michael Johnson will say you should go and seek the pressure situations and use them for your advantage and not run away and be scared (doesn't work for all I know).

Still not too sure on DOR, the indoors will tell if she is back. I always believe you are either in great shape or you are not and bad early season runs usually are a forecast of whats to come, although DOR is one who does seem to race into form. Last season was like the "second album syndrome" and she struggled. She seems to be at the opposite to where Gillick is now, not her confident self. Sometimes moving coach isn't the right answer and the answer could be somewhere else, but time will tell. Big season and will probably define her career so she'll need an indoor PB I reckon.

It would take Cuddihy about a week to get around the indoor bends so probably best for her to wait for early spring to open up.

The Hess will hopefully have built on last years and have a good indoors. The more championships the better for him, I felt the rounds caught up with him in Osaka and he wasn't championship fit. An indoor PB and we'll be laughing.

Dave Campbell could be one to watch too as he is so ballsy and the legend that is Peter Coghlan could be set for one last hurrah. Pity they don't do the indoor hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Tingle wrote: »
    I think Gillick is set for a super season.
    I hope so. Hopefully he can finally dip under the 45 decond barrier this season.
    TINGLE wrote:
    Still not too sure on DOR, the indoors will tell if she is back. I always believe you are either in great shape or you are not and bad early season runs usually are a forecast of whats to come, although DOR is one who does seem to race into form. Last season was like the "second album syndrome" and she struggled. She seems to be at the opposite to where Gillick is now, not her confident self. Sometimes moving coach isn't the right answer and the answer could be somewhere else, but time will tell. Big season and will probably define her career so she'll need an indoor PB I reckon.
    True, I hope she comes back with a bang this season. She must have been bitterly dissapointed with how last year shaped up. But she's one of the most professional athletes I've ever come accross, and I'm sure she'll puick herself back up. As I said, working with all the quality sprinters day-in, day-out at Bath can only benefit her.
    TINGLE wrote:
    It would take Cuddihy about a week to get around the indoor bends
    :D Funny! The inside lane outdoors is bad enough not a mind the sharp turns indoors I suppose.

TINGLE wrote:
    that is Peter Coghlan could be set for one last hurrah. Pity they don't do the indoor hammer.
    Do you think he could dip inside the 14 second barrier outdoors? We badly need a good hurdler for the Euro cup.
    I was thinking the same thing about the Hammer! A lot of holes in the wall me thinks!

Derval O Rourke is to compete in Nenagh at the weekend! Didn't think that the AAI games drew the bigger names in the sport.
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=3178#more-3178

Interesting to see she is entered and will be interesting to see how she gets on if she competes...............I just got this vision of DOR opening with an Irish Record in the Hayshed tomorrow and it culminates in a podium spot in Beijing in August............must be all the creatine that I'm snorting giving me all these crazy dreams.

Interesting to see she is entered and will be interesting to see how she gets on if she competes...............I just got this vision of DOR opening with an Irish Record in the Hayshed tomorrow and it culminates in a podium spot in Beijing in August............must be all the creatine that I'm snorting giving me all these crazy dreams.

Well, Anna Boyle's 7.30 is certainly on her radar. It depends on what shape she's in obviously - she might be a bit rusty and lacking race fitness given it's her season opener. Never say never, however. That counts for the Beijing podium place too!

Whatever about indoor, Michelle Carey's got her outdoor season under way in Australia with a second place finish in the 400m flat at the Sydnet Track Classic in 53.61. Hope she gets the A standard this year.

• Advertisement

So the AAI games took place today anyway; I had hoped to get out there to see them but couldn't make it. Apparently I missed a great day from the sounds of things.

Kelly Proper seems to have been the star of the show. Breaking her 6.19m indoor national record twice, with jumps of 6.20m and 6.25m.

She also caused an upset in the sprints, beating EYOF 100m bronze medallist Niamh Whelan in the 60m. No mean feat as Whelan looks to be one of our brightest sprint hopes for the future.

Alas, no Derval O' Rourke. I'd say a lot of people's hopes were raised by the announcement. Tingle was correct in doubting her appearance! Let's hope she just has higher quality races lined up , and it wasn't down to injury!

Other big notable was Brian Gregan in the 400. On a tight track and not been pushed he ran 48.6. This would translate to sub 48 outdoors easily and considering its only January he could be one to watch and is another potential to be added to the mix for the possible Beijing 4 x 4 squad.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Kelly Proper seems to have been the star of the show. Breaking her 6.19m indoor national record twice, with jumps of 6.20m and 6.25m.

Just noticed she would have won the mens competition on countback:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Other big notable was Brian Gregan in the 400. On a tight track and not been pushed he ran 48.6. This would translate to sub 48 outdoors easily and considering its only January he could be one to watch and is another potential to be added to the mix for the possible Beijing 4 x 4 squad.

That's a great comeback. He's close to his outright PB in Nenagh in January. World Junior qualifying time is 48.04. Might be one to watch this year. Can he get the Irish Junior record, indoors (46.66) or out (46.70)?

Slow coach wrote: »
    That's a great comeback. He's close to his outright PB in Nenagh in January. World Junior qualifying time is 48.04. Might be one to watch this year. Can he get the Irish Junior record, indoors (46.66) or out (46.70)?

Didn't realise he was junior. He could get the junior record and he'll definetly get the World Junior standard - based on my Naughton's Hayshed Factor I reckon yesterdays run is a 47.0-47.2 outdoors all going well between here and the summer. If he gets the Junior record he could be getting a ticket to Beijing as well.

Potential relays splits of Gillick 45.0, Mckee 45.5, Kennedy 46.0, McCarthy 46.0, Murphy 46.5, Laffey 46.5, Doyle 46.5, Gregan 47.0. Is that squad good enough to get top 16 in the world and get to Beijing? Would 3:03 get them Top 16. Potentially more depth than recent years too and if Gillick and McKee stay healthy who knows.

• Advertisement

Just noticed she would have won the mens competition on countback:eek:

A promising future for the men's Long Jump then! :D Ah, no....Eoin Hannon is already a 7.44m jumper at the age of 18/19, hope he continues that progress to break 8m in the not too distant future!
    Tingle wrote:

Yes, impressive time indeed. I don't know much about him seeming that he's been injured for so long, but I have heard about him.

Yes, impressive time indeed. I don't know much about him seeming that he's been injured for so long, but I have heard about him.

First I heard of him was the schools two year ago when he ran 48 there, didn't realise he was so young still, Ireland could have two 44 men by 2012, no pressure though!

Just read over on the AAI website that Jenny Kallur and the Norwegian Vukicevic are to give DO'R a run for her money at the Odyssey (the one weekend I chose to go abroad!:mad:). Should be a good race. J Kallur, as we know, has earned her credentials as a world class hurdler with her silver medal in Madrid in '05; it musn't be easy for her being in the shadow of her sister, but she has the limelight to herself in Belfast as the 'Kallur threat' to Derval's hopes. IIRC. the Norwegian finished just behinsd Derval in 3rd place at the Euro cup, and, as the World Junior Silver medallist, will make the 60mh the event to watch at the Nationals.
    First I heard of him was the schools two year ago when he ran 48 there, didn't realise he was so young still, Ireland could have two 44 men by 2012, no pressure though!

We could very well find ourselves in that situation, and what a nice situation it would be too!

And we have our first big name casualty for the nationals at the weekend!! Derval O' Rourke out due to injury. Big blow to the event organisers, as the 60mh was set to be a mouthwatering affair, with Kallur, Claxton and Vukicevic all testing her.

Bad start to the Olympic year for her aswell; let's hope it's not major and she'll be fighting fit for the Worlds.

Deirdre Ryan opened her season over the weekend too in the HJ tour in Czech Rep. 1.85m in the first leg got her joint last, while she no heighted in the second leg. I hope she can get back on the form she had when she broke both the indoor and outdoor records with 1.90m/1.92m respectively. She'd be just a jump away from teh World Indoor and Olympic standard then. There's no doubting she's got talent, it just seems to be consistency that lets her down.

Thats a pity about DOR, lets hope all is ok. I get worried when I start hearing this kind of stuff early season, she needs a clear run through and everything to be perfect to perform at her max in Beijing, but its probably best to be safe at this stage. A foot injury and a hurdler aren't a good mix:(

I see McIlroy is in the 800, pity Campbell wasn't there to have a cut off him:D

By the way did anyone see the video of Gregan's AAI games run on runtrackireland.com? The young man is a beast, seems really ragged and didn't get going until about 200m. Having seen that and presuming he will strenghten up all over and tidy up, this guy is a real talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

He usually underperforms (or doesn't show) when mentioned on these forums but according to Sporting Life Cragg is running the Boston indoors 3000m this weekend, although it also says he wont run in Valencia opting instead for the World Cross.

According to the starting lists James Nolan and Roisin McGettigan compete in their respective mile races in Boston.

Well the indoor season's in full swing, and we've had a couple of good performances over this weekend:
    • Peter Coghlan was victorious in Budapest, winning both his heat and the final. Kudos to for predicting 'one last hoorah' this seasono!
    • Ailis McSweeney continued her fine return to form, with a second place at said meeting in the 60m.
    • James Nolan qualified for the World Indoors with a 3.41 1500m (Standard is 3.43). Congrats to him.
    • Kelly Proper continued her stunning record breaking form at the Celtic cup with a 6.32m jump. She's on fire!
    • Eoin Hannon confirmes that there's a bright future for Irish LJ'ing with a new PB of 7.32.
    • Barry Pender qualified for the World Juniors in Poland with a new PB of 2.14 in the High Jump.

A promising start to the season; let's hope it continues!

P.S I thought I'd seen DO'R on the strat list for Stuttgart, but then saw her on Tubridy tonight last night so that put an end to that hope! Can't wait to see what form she's in. Kallur is in World record shape too.

Derval O' Rourke fourth in Athens, with 8.09. Not bad for a season opener; let's hope she gets in sub 8 seconds shape for Valencia.

60mh Damu Cherry 7.94, 2 Lacena Golding Clarke JAM 7.98, 3 Kellie Wells USA 8.06, 4 Derval O' Rourke IRL 8.09, 5 Mariya Koroteyeva RUS 8.10, 6 Aurelia Trywianska POL 8.15, 7 Flora Redoumi GRE 8.30, 8 Sarah Claxton GBR 8.30

Not bad. Yes sub 8 at a minimum will be needed, but its a start and its good she is racing.

Not bad. Yes sub 8 at a minimum will be needed, but its a start and its good she is racing.

Definitely. Her next race is in Leipzig on Sunday. Interestingly, Ailis McSweeney is also entered in the hurdles! Maybe just an error on the website, but it would be interesting to see how she'd perform if she did switch to the hurdles. Deirdre Ryan and Thomas Chamney also compete there.

• Advertisement

Cragg had a good 13:32 in the 5000 in the Tyson Invitational on saturday. Good opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Cragg had a good 13:32 in the 5000 in the Tyson Invitational on saturday. Good opener.

Fastest time in the world this year by all accounts. Hope he has a great season. Career has unfortunately flattered to deceive to date.

Campbell had a PB in the mile in NZ in 3:58 - his stock continues to rise.

DOR had an 8.20 in Leipzig - hopefully only a blip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Can't see DOR making an olympic final! Hope I will eat my words but I think we have already seen her best.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Can't see DOR making an olympic final! Hope I will eat my words but I think we have already seen her best.

While I won't give up hope, I think the injury set-back has cost her vital race fitness, which her competitiors have benefited from over the past month, while she's been nursing the injury.

I strongly disagree that we've seen her best, though. Let's not forget that both this year and last year have started in the same way; an injury, which ruled her out of early season competition. When she ran 12.72 in Gothenburg in 2006, she came off the final hurdle rather slowly, and Colin Jackson, I think it was, commented on how that was an area she could improve on, so that PB race was certainly not her at her best.

I believe she can reduce her 100m flat time considerably; she was blighted last year from doing so by the injury ruling her out of a flat race she had hoped to do early season, and crappy conditions in Budapest (extreme wind!) and Santry (not the same day Hession ran 20.30, IIRC). I know this sounds like a lot of excuses, but they're entirely valid; I couldn't believe last year how so much could conspire against one athlete!

If she can improve her strength over the last 30m and stay injury free, then I can see her doing 12.6?; that in itself may not be enough for the Olympic final, but the point is that I don't think we've seen her in full flight. The timing of all this is rather crappy for her, given her best mighten't come in the Olympic year, but the Worlds are around again next year too, and the Euro indoors.

On a non-physical note, she set a precedent for Irish athletes with her professionalism and mental strength during 2006; she's tough and she will bounce back.

she's tough and she will bounce back.

A tough lady and a fierce competitor, if physically right she won't be lacking in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Interestingly, Ailis McSweeney is also entered in the hurdles! Maybe just an error on the website, but it would be interesting to see how she'd perform if she did switch to the hurdles.
    lol..Ailis has never jumped a hurdle in her life!
    And it would only be interesting to watch from a comical point of view..I wouldn't advise her to switch anyway..not unless her/her legs grow!:D

Susanna Kallur is running very well..anyone see her running in Birmingham last saturday? 7.75 with no one pushing her..excellent. Not amind her world record of 7.68 of the week before. Can't see anyone beating her in Valencia!

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    And it would only be interesting to watch from a comical point of view..I wouldn't advise her to switch anyway..not unless her/her legs grow!:D

The womens hurdles are so small she could nearly get over them - nice and compact, she might do a job on them:D

Well, there we have it; DO'R has officially pulled out of the World Indoors.
    http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6040&Itemid=2

Sad to see, but doubt it'll be a huge suprise to anyone. If one could draw any positives from the situation, it would be that at least the poor runs can be attributed to a specific reason, i.e the foot injury, rather than a loss of form. It doesn't sound like an overly serious injury, just one that needs to be nursed.
    Fast_Mover wrote: »
    And it would only be interesting to watch from a comical point of view..I wouldn't advise her to switch anyway..not unless her/her legs grow!
    :D It was a typo in the start-lists so!

• Advertisement

http://www.gegalan.se/start/index.cfm?file=../2008/Gren3_6_1.cfm

Nolan 7th in Stockholm 1k in 2:20.

Mutola ran sub 2 in the women's 800.

Advertisement