Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you cook chicken breast properly

• 08-01-2008 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how you go about cooking chicken breasts so that they come out tender and nice as opsed to chewy and dry, I cook 250g breast covered loosely in tinfoil for 45 mins at 200 dgrees celsius , any better method?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I was wondering how you go about cooking chicken breasts so that they come out tender and nice as opsed to chewy and dry, I cook 250g breast covered loosely in tinfoil for 45 mins at 200 dgrees celsius , any better method?

Try a lower temp 180, make sure you seal the fillet on a pan before you put it in the oven, roast it in a shallow pan with a bit of chicken stock, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
    Where you gettin your chix from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Use free range chicken. Try roasting a chicken breast with the bone in and skin still on - combine some crushed garlic, salt, pepper and parsley with a little butter to make a herb butter and massage it under the skin with your fingers. Half or quarter an onion and balance the breast on the onion pieces in a roasting dish. Roast for around 35 minutes at 180 degrees - that should do it for a fan assisted oven. If you're worried whether it's cooked, slice into the thickest part with a sharp knife and take a peek!

Edit: just twigged your 'timetogetfit' username, so it's possible the 'skin on, herb butter' solution isn't for you. I'd still say leave the skin on for cooking, but don't eat it. Instead of herb butter, squeeze half a lemon over the chicken skin and sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Cook the same way as above, but try balancing on your lemon-half as well as onion.

Cooking any piece of meat with the bone still in helps improve flavour, texture and succulence, so you won't end up trying to replace the effects with oils or fats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Get a chicken fillet, place it flat on a chopping board and spread it out wide as possible. Now press your hand/palm down on it completely, now get a really sharp knife and cut it parallel to your palm. This gives you 2 really thin slices of chicken. Or else you can cut it lengthways using the same method, but stopping 10mm from the edge, now you can fold it out to give a giant wafer thin chicken fillet.

This cooks in no time on a pan as it is so thin, so no moisture is lose. I rub a little garlic, soy, chilli powder and fry in sesame oil.

I dont really oven cook them, but slicing thin means shorter cooking time, more energy efficient, juicier, more room for marinate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use an oven proof pan to cook with. Pan fry the skin side for a couple of minutes to colour. 20 to 25 minutes if the oven is 200c. Allow it to rest for a few minutes before plating up.

If you are worried that this is too short, try slicing it at an angle before plating it up. You can see if it is cooked through. If not, gather the slices together, back in the pan, in the oven. 5 more minutes, but I would be very surprised if it is not cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Try a lower temp 180, make sure you seal the fillet on a pan before you put it in the oven, roast it in a shallow pan with a bit of chicken stock, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
    Where you gettin your chix from?
    That whole seal your meat thing is a misnomer. The only reason for sealing/browning meat before it goes into a stew or into the oven is to add flavour.

A great way to do chicken breasts, especially if you're on a health kick, is to fry them in a nonstick frying pan in a small amount of olive oil for about 10 mins each side on a medium heat. Be sure to season them well first with salt and plenty of black pepper. Done this way they always remain very moist, and the added flavour from frying is just delish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

45 mins is a very long time to be cooking the chicken. If it's a fillet I usually BBQ it or slap it on a griddle.
    (for BBQ mix pesto & goats cheese and toss the breast in it - yum!)

And if it has the bone + skin (which I think is nicer) I season the skin, and put it skin down in a VERY hot pan to make it go crispy and then finish it in the oven for about 35 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 good intentions

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That whole seal your meat thing is a misnomer. The only reason for sealing/browning meat before it goes into a stew or into the oven is to add flavour.

Sorry Bazmo - but you are completely wrong there. Of course if you seal your meat it keeps the juices in and ensures a juicier texture (providing it's rested appropriately). Try roasting 1 piece of sealed beef v 1 piece that's not sealed. Try it with any meat. Yes, I do understand that sealing the meat adds flavour (by caramelising the meats naturally occuring sugars), but it also locks the juices in. This is a fact, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

Lower heat less time.

You want to get so that it just cooked, not overcooked. 25-30 mins should do it, but the best thing to do is check it after 25 mins - cut into, if its still slightly pink stick it back in for 5 mins, cut into a different part etc, until you get a feel for how long it will take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree, 30 mins is usually more than enough for an average sized chicken breast on the bone at 180'ish. Season the skin with salt and black pepper and rub it into the skin, I also rub a very small amount of olive oil into the skin. This way, I get crispy skin every time without having to dirty another pan first browning it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Sorry Bazmo - but you are completely wrong there.

I don't believe (s)he is wrong. The term sealing implies that the outer surface of the meat becomes impervious to the juices, holding them inside the meat. This is wrong. Sealing, in this context just gives the meat a nicer flavour.

Here's a better (and more authoritative) explanation.

• Advertisement

Sorry Bazmo - but you are completely wrong there. Of course if you seal your meat it keeps the juices in and ensures a juicier texture (providing it's rested appropriately). Try roasting 1 piece of sealed beef v 1 piece that's not sealed. Try it with any meat. Yes, I do understand that sealing the meat adds flavour (by caramelising the meats naturally occuring sugars), but it also locks the juices in. This is a fact, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong.

"Mr. Science" Heston Blumenthal has disproved this theory. Here's a link to the man himself explaining why it doesn't work.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=12010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

olaola wrote: »
    And if it has the bone + skin (which I think is nicer) I season the skin, and put it skin down in a VERY hot pan to make it go crispy and then finish it in the oven for about 35 mins.
    If left on the bone you can still slice down into it about 4-5 places, this exposes the inside to the heat. This is good for tandoori chicken to since it marinates better.

I scored a full 2.2kg chicken like this the other day, roasted on the highest heat in about 45mins.

Dero wrote: »
    I don't believe (s)he is wrong. The term sealing implies that the outer surface of the meat becomes impervious to the juices, holding them inside the meat. This is wrong. Sealing, in this context just gives the meat a nicer flavour.

Here's a better (and more authoritative) explanation.
    LOL. I linked to the same article!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

I usually 'poach' mine - put it in a small saucepan and cover with water. Boil it for around 10 mins or so. Sounds rank but it comes out really moist and juicy. If you want to add more flavour you can e.g. cut it into slices, toss in cajun spices and give it a quick blast in the frying pan - with some low cal cooking spray if you want to be really healthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I usually 'poach' mine - put it in a small saucepan and cover with water. Boil it for around 10 mins or so. Sounds rank but it comes out really moist and juicy. If you want to add more flavour you can e.g. cut it into slices, toss in cajun spices and give it a quick blast in the frying pan - with some low cal cooking spray if you want to be really healthy!
    Yeah, poached or steamed chicken is surprisingly nice. There's a very famous cantanese chicken dish that just poach the chicken and then use a spring onion and ginger sauce for flavour. My mom used to make it, it's very nice.

This link explains it all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_cut_chicken

And here's a very authentic recipe if anyone wanna try it http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/1999/0684847396_3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 good intentions

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

"Mr. Science" Heston Blumenthal has disproved this theory. Here's a link to the man himself explaining why it doesn't work.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=12010

Thanks for the link - very interesting!

However, just because Heston says so, don't mean it ain't so. For at least the past 20 years (i'm nearly 30 and have been cooking and baking ever since I was around 10) the worlds top chefs have said that sealing the meat makes it more juicy. Are you saying that all of these guys are wrong? (Jean Christophe Novelli, Gordon Ramsay, Richard Corrigan, Patrick Guilbaud, Ross Lewis, Joel Robuchon, Alfred Prasad to name a few) They have about 30 Michelin stars between them, and if they tell me that sealing the meat makes it more juicy, then I believe them!

Bazmo - do you seal your meat? Be honest lol

I'm not trying to be argumentative here (i know these things can be misinterpreted when read instead of having a conversation) - but I am really enjoying listening to your guys point of view.

Sorry i didn't get back to you earlier - got called into a meeting with the boss yesterday, yikes!

Thanks for the link - very interesting!

However, just because Heston says so, don't mean it ain't so. For at least the past 20 years (i'm nearly 30 and have been cooking and baking ever since I was around 10) the worlds top chefs have said that sealing the meat makes it more juicy. Are you saying that all of these guys are wrong? (Jean Christophe Novelli, Gordon Ramsay, Richard Corrigan, Patrick Guilbaud, Ross Lewis, Joel Robuchon, Alfred Prasad to name a few) They have about 30 Michelin stars between them, and if they tell me that sealing the meat makes it more juicy, then I believe them!
    Well in fairness, Heston has backed it up with science to prove his theory.

I think people just use the term "seal" to mean put a colour on it and therefore gain all the goodness that comes from that visually and taste wise. it just seams to be a catch all term. But as has been proved, it doesn't actually make the moisture stay in the meat. It that's the case why would you "seal" the meat before you put it in a stew? You only do it to add flavour.
    Bazmo - do you seal your meat? Be honest lol
    Oh but of course! :D

Sorry i didn't get back to you earlier - got called into a meeting with the boss yesterday, yikes!
    I hate when actual work gets in the way of dossing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just throw mine under the grill having sliced the breast through the middle and then dump olive oil and herbs over it. Give it 10 min a side once the grill is properly hot.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

It that's the case why would you "seal" the meat before you put it in a stew? You only do it to add flavour.
    All the recipes and tv chefs cooking it always says they're "browning" the meat to add flavour. I've never seen the term "seal" apply to the meat in stews. It's going into a pot of stock afterall. Sealing it makes no sense.

As for Heston's experiment, all he showed was that a well cooked meat lost more moisture than a rare one. It wasn't as thorough as people think for it to be scientific. Just a home experiement. He never did a comparative test by cooking steaks that wasn't brown. A well done steak that wasn't browned first might just loose a little bit more moisture than one that was browned. In any case, no one is going to stop browning the steak, it tastes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I cook for a living....Sealing meat is very important, i dont care what Heiston says...Your mouth is a better mesure than his science, thats why all the best chefs, home cooks, grannies and mothers seal meat......cos it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I don't think anyone (Heston included) is saying that it doesn't "work", in the sense that the taste and texture are better if you do it. It's just that the term sealing in this context is a misnomer, as nothing is actually sealed.

Browning/sealing meat certainly does enhance flavour, but does not inhibit the ingress or egress of moisture from the meat in any significant way.

Advertisement