Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB.net book for intermediate Developers?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there

What book would people recommend to me being an intermediate VB.NET developer?

I'm newish to VB.Net. I've been using it on and off in my new job for about 6 months. I'm a former (intermediate) VB/VBA developer. I've read Visual Basic.Net: Step by Step (which I found in work) by Michael Halvorson. It was a bit too basic for me but I found it a good book for a base in VB.NET. I've bought Programming Microsoft Visual Basic.NET (Core Reference) but I feel this might be too much of a leap after glancing through it last night? Is there another book you would recommend? Is it best to stick with Microsoft press books or do you think Wrox etc are better?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd go with Programming Microsoft Visual Basic.NET. Start at the beginning and slowely work through all the examples. If you get stuck you can always ask questions here or on other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Have a look at the Apress collection as well. Not sure of the exact title but something like Pro VB.Net 2005. had a glance at it before. seemed decent for an all round on the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

I have found that most of the books are very out of date especially now that Visual Basic 2008 has just been released. There are loads of great videos on the Microsoft site that I have found to be up to date, very good and free. You could also check out www.learnvisualstudio.com for videos.

Advertisement