Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need cable modem in Galway.

Options
  • 08-01-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Anyone in Galway (city or close) have an NTL broadband modem lying around? They are usually motorola surfboard. I'll collect it and pay €20 or swap for an ADSL (Eircom/Smart etc.) broadband modem.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have cable-broadband the Modem has to be provisioned by the cable company. You can't add your own*

(*Unless they are very trusting and you phone and give them the Cable MAC).

If you think you can do something with a Cable modem without ISP support, think again, success would be theft.+

All Cable Modems of all ISPs in Ireland, unlike ADSL modems remain the property of the ISP. An unused one can't be sold or given away but must be returned. (They appreciate the PSU brick back too).

(+ I've only known cable broadband theft to succeed on Caseyvision, in the past)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm also curious why you need a new cable modem, if your using NTL and your modem is broken why don't you contact NTL and request as new one...shouldn't be a problem.

From my own experiences with cable modems and cloning of MAC's I'd have to agree with watty in relation to anything being done with extra modems tends to be dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

I'm not using NTL nor is my modem broken.
    Neither will I be using it for anything illegal.
    I described it as NTL for the less technical to distinguish it from an ADSL modem and I would assume anyone who could help would be legally compliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

cL0h wrote: »
    I'm not using NTL nor is my modem broken.
    Neither will I be using it for anything illegal.
    I described it as NTL for the less technical to distinguish it from an ADSL modem and I would assume anyone who could help would be legally compliant.

I'm intrigued now. If it's not for NTL, why do you want a cable modem? All of Watty's points are still valid regardless of operator. Please elaborate. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ADSL modem: RJ11 connector
    ethernet WAN router: RJ45 connector
    Cable modem: F-connector

At least 5 companies use cable modems. Not all cable modems live on cable systems though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement