Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defoe told he can go

Options
  • 08-01-2008 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

From today's Sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article662268.ece

Go Defoe

By CHARLIE WYETT

JERMAIN DEFOE last night revealed Tottenham boss Juande Ramos has told him: “You can go.” In an explosive Sun exclusive, the Spurs striker dropped a bombshell on the eve of tomorrow’s Carling Cup semi-final, first-leg clash with Arsenal.

England hitman Defoe said: “The manager has said I can leave if I want — but I want to prove him wrong. I want to stay here. “He called me into his office and told me.

At first, I thought it was a joke. I thought he was going to say I would be starting against Arsenal in the Carling Cup, which was why he didn’t give me a game against Reading at the weekend.

“But he just said ‘You can leave if you want to’. Yet I have no intentions of leaving this club because I love it here. “I would love to sign a new contract — and I know people at the top of the club want me to stay.

“But no one can expect me to sign a new deal if I can’t get a game.” In-form Defoe, 25, has scored five goals in his last seven matches.

Yet, bizarrely, he has only started two Premier League games so far this season. He has just 18 months remaining on his current contract.

While Ramos is happy for Defoe to leave, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is desperate for the striker to stay. Defoe also struggled to get into the starting line-up under Martin Jol.

And the £7million signing from West Ham four years ago added: “All I want to do is play football. It would be great to play against Arsenal as it is such a big game.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

I don't think Ramos likes him (and his selfish play), and I also think he might have other strikers lined up! HOWEVER, if Levy does like him, he will stay - Levy runs the show not Ramos, remember that! Another point I guess is Defoe himself, how much of this is about money? How much is about playing football - bottom line is Levy can offer him better wages, but if Defoe just wants pitch time he may go somewhere else to get it. This could be a good test of the internal power struggles, first we have seen with Ramos and the board - will Levy go as far as to tell Ramos, you MUST give Defoe more starts etc, OR does Ramos have total control of who picks the team? Time will tell, and even if he goes or stays, we may never know the reasons behind it. i think it just shows us again, the problems of the Director of football, manager, Chairman relationship! personally I don't like it, and this is a good reason why........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

If he is not prepared to sign a new contract we should sell - either now or in Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Marketing ploy on his part to get more games, methinks......

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I reckon it's more likely that Ramos said "if your not going to sign a new contract then we'll sell you asap".

If that is the case then I'd make Ramos right. We don't need another player stalling on contracts until free bosman situation is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭sew

Campbell-esque if ya ask me..."love the club............ blah blah blah"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

sew wrote: »
    Campbell-esque if ya ask me..."love the club............ blah blah blah"

double deal with Chimbonda to Villa is latest talk - £15M.

galinka wrote: »
    double deal with Chimbonda to Villa is latest talk - £15M.
    If they were to add Lausen into the deal that would be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Would be sad to see him go as He's a good lad and Iv always had a soft spot for him. I cant believe he has stayed this long while he has not been getting a sniff of a game.

What about a swap with Downing ???? He appears to be having contract problems with Boro.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Would be sad to see him go as He's a good lad and Iv always had a soft spot for him. I cant believe he has stayed this long while he has not been getting a sniff of a game.

What about a swap with Downing ???? He appears to be having contract problems with Boro.
    There is a reason for that - not had a great year!:cool:

Advertisement