Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

porting from Vaax VMS

• 08-01-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We have a big horrible vax/vms server taking up vast amounts of our comms room space, which runs only one small database.

What would be the best way to port this over to a windows server? should I get in a DB contractor to port this into a MSsql database or can I use VMware and image it over to our virtualisation server?

thanks in advance
    Fionn

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what model ?

what software is the dB running on ?

possibly more of a unix question really even though VMS isn't unix and NT was based on VMS

or programming

www.openvms.org - IIRC there is an i386 port somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Your in luck slick. In my workplace they all work on ye olde VAX daily.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of big companies/hospitals who still use it.

Now, the problem with a Vax is that it uses a totally different OS, so you really need to pay someone to transfer the database across. It's not something I would recommend you try yourself and i'm a little hesitant to use open source software that hasn't even hit v1.0 yet. In fact the only thing you can pop directly across are text files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Fionn101 wrote: »
    What would be the best way to port this over to a windows server? should I get in a DB contractor to port this into a MSsql database or can I use VMware and image it over to our virtualisation server?

Probably. But it also depends on what database is being used on the Vax. It isn't Ingres, by any chance? Or, heaven forbid, a CODASYL database? :D

Ah, fond memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

We still have a load of Alphas and Vaxen taking up one end of our computer room. The raid array for one of them is the size of a whole rack full of our modern HP servers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

thanks for the replies,

Does anyone know the command for showing what version the database is ?

All I know is how to check process' ,users and kill accordingly (sure what else would I need:rolleyes:)

looks like it's a job for contractor man.....

And as Stephen said, the sheer volume of space that these sytems takes up is ridiculous.This machine has a carbon footprint of a Yeti and only runs a tiny insignificant (by insignificant I mean it doesn't do anything I would use) database for some users somewhere..tsk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

They're pretty reliable though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Does anyone know the command for showing what version the database is ?

Of course that depends on the database. :D
    All I know is how to check process' ,users and kill accordingly (sure what else would I need:rolleyes:)

You could post up a list of processes (I know, there would be loads) and we could have a look, see if anything jumps out. Although, it's been a long time since I was connected to a Vax.

Or you could have a look through them and look for something like 'DB' or 'database'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

meh, show proc doesn't list the database.
    I'll have dig out the manual and find out what db is on it.

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

It's a long time since I've touched a VMS box.

Show /help
    will help you list all the options: processes, installed software, etc.

If the DB is from a company still trading, you should be fine. Even a DEC DB probably has some level of support from HP who bought Compaq who bought DEC in the mid- to late-1990s.

Worst case scenario is to extract data in CSV format and have to re-design the DB as you would not have table structure in CSV files. If you can do DB dump, you might get lucky. Most DB migrations I have had dealings with have been from old version to latest-and-greatest of whatever DB, so were relatively simple. Migrating to a different vendor DB is generally non-trivial. You might need some expert advice. I'm not a DB expert, just an experienced user who's had to work with various migrated systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Morning,
    I'm a very very old VMS/OpenVMS hand. It's been a while since I entered a "DCL" command, but with regards your problem have a look at you Backup command files. I'd expect that they'll have a reference to your DB, that's if they're being backed up of course.

Failing that have a look at the start-up "COM"/command files in the [System] directory. From memory they're usually called "startup", oddly enough. I'd reckon you'll find reference to the database start-up process there.

If you don't know where the Com files are and you're a priviliged user, at the DCL prompt type dir [*.*]startup*.* and hit return.

I'd reckon your DB is probably Oracle, Informix or maybe Sybase.

On the migration front there are software packages out there that will allow you share your VMS disk devices with MS-Windows and vis-versa. I've used them in the past. They allow full read/write access to the devices in question.

In the very distant past I've done all of the above from DEC-VMS to HP Boxes and from DEC-VMS to windows based systems. It's not difficult just needs to be planned properly.

What version of VMS are you on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement