Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company Car - what to go for ?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm i the lucky position to be able to get a company car this year, but I'm unsure what to go for.
    Up to now I've always drove a commercial Jeep, so any suggestions would be great...

I want to go for a Diesel, as I'll get the fuel minus VAT on a company fuel card, and also I'll be more economical...

Anyhow - currently I'm looking at :

Volvo S40 1.6d
    Ford Mondeo Zetec 1.8Tdci
    Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4d
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 Tdi

So cars up to the low 30's in price is my range...

I want a good tradeoff between drive, comfort, safety, and I want a family sized car.
    As this is a company car, resale value isn't an issue....

So, like I said - any comments on any of the avbove, or more suggestions would be great !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Out of those I'd have the Mondeo; but I wouldn't have one of those. Thought of the Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm? Fantastic engine, looks the business and because its a company car you won't have to worry about this unreliability business everyone always talks about :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Alfa_Romeo_159_sw.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Octavia is based on the VW Golf and the Volvo is based on the Ford Focus. They are smaller than the other three cars. Of the other three, the Mondeo is the best drivers car and the one likely to have the biggest depreciation (previous Mondeos always depreciated like mad, this one is new so we can't say for sure)

As a company car, I'd take the Mondeo...

cjt156 wrote: »
    Thought of the Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm?

The perfect company car. But starting at €37k it is well out of budget for OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The Volvo & the Skoda will look the least like a Rep mobile, meaning that the Mondeo & Passat are a popular company car choice.
    Having said that I rented a TDi Passat in France last September & I was very impressed with the car, it was comfortable, have a reasonable amount of power. The boot was huge so lots of room for family stuff.
    I thought it had a little bit of class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - the Alfa is coming in at 37,549.99 (Leaseplan price) so it's out of my budget

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Yep - the Alfa is coming in at 37,549.99 (Leaseplan price) so it's out of my budget

Could you copy a range of cars within budget from your Leaseplan list and paste it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

unkel wrote: »
    The perfect company car. But starting at €37k it is well out of budget for OP

Sorry; been lusting after one of those myself. Still; nice to look at wasn't it?

OK - so herer's a basic list - I can add afew extras, and swith between saloon and hatch on some of the models, but here's the general jist of things :

Citreon C5 1.6hdi €29,144
    Dodge Caliber 2.0 Se Turbo Diesel €27,579
    Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci Saloon €28,595
    Ford Mondel 1.8tdci Zetec Saloon €32,344
    Mazda 6 2.0d €31,494
    Opel Vectra 1.9 Cdti €30,584
    Peugeot 407 1.6 Hdi €29,870
    Renault Laguna 1.5 Dci €29,850
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi €26,855
    Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4d €30,739
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 Tdi €31,190
    Volvo S40 1.6d €31,199

I quite like the Volvo S40 myself - are they a pretty good car ?

I quite like the Volvo S40 myself - are they a pretty good car ?

It's fine. But as I said, it is based on the Ford Focus. Why limit yourself to that when you can pick any of bigger cars?

I'd be tempted to go for one of the French cars. Probably the C5

• Advertisement

Why limit yourself to that when you can pick any of bigger cars?
    Just looks a bit more stylish I think....Is it quite a bit smaller inside than say the Mondeo ?

Is it quite a bit smaller inside than say the Mondeo ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi all,
    I'm i the lucky position to be able to get a company car this year, but I'm unsure what to go for.
    Up to now I've always drove a commercial Jeep, so any suggestions would be great...

I want to go for a Diesel, as I'll get the fuel minus VAT on a company fuel card, and also I'll be more economical...

Anyhow - currently I'm looking at :

Volvo S40 1.6d
    Ford Mondeo Zetec 1.8Tdci
    Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4d
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 Tdi

So cars up to the low 30's in price is my range...

I want a good tradeoff between drive, comfort, safety, and I want a family sized car.
    As this is a company car, resale value isn't an issue....

So, like I said - any comments on any of the avbove, or more suggestions would be great !

hi, im in the same position myself dont think they will let you go for the skoda tho, i have around the same budget as yourself i went for the mondeo zetec 1.8 tdci loads of power at low revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you want to work out how much company car tax you're going to be crucified for, click on the following Revenue Commissioners benefits in kind link.:(

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/BIK_CoCar.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think a sport model Passat is a very stylish car.

Agreed....
    I think in reality it's between the S40, the Passat and the Mondeo...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mondeo all the way. Bigger, more comfortable, better built & more reliable than VW. Better to drive too.

1.8 TDCI is light years and of old 1.9 Tdi engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think a sport model Passat is a very stylish car.

true but mad money in diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The new 6 diesel is definately worth a test drive before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

definately give the 6 a look.

• Advertisement

definately give the 6 a look.
    Fair enough - no harm in having a test drive I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Can you wait till march, if so I'd check out the new Citroen C5:

Carscoop_CitroenC5_7000.JPG

Nice looking machine.........

Only thing is that Leaseplan are REALLY slow at getting anyhting that's anyway popular or new..

So by the time I get it from them it could be middle of the year at least..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A C5 will depreciate like a lead balloon if the old one was anything to go by.

A C5 will depreciate like a lead balloon if the old one was anything to go by.
    Company car - so I don't care about resale value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

But usually cars cost more to lease when they've got higher depreciation!
    (at least they do across the pond)

Anyway, it won't be for another while before the C5 comes out AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

OK - so herer's a basic list - I can add afew extras, and swith between saloon and hatch on some of the models, but here's the general jist of things :

Citreon C5 1.6hdi €29,144 (Due to be replaced soon - wouldn't touch):mad:
    Dodge Caliber 2.0 Se Turbo Diesel €27,579 (Why ?):(
    Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci Saloon €28,595 (Yeah nice fresh car getting good reviews in the Mags):)
    Ford Mondel 1.8tdci Zetec Saloon €32,344 (Yeah nice fresh car getting good reviews in the Mags):)

Mazda 6 2.0d €31,494 (Brand spanking new and very good too) get this weeks Autoexpress. :)
    Opel Vectra 1.9 Cdti €30,584 (Due to be replaced soon - wouldn't touch):mad:
    Peugeot 407 1.6 Hdi €29,870 (used to like Peugoets would not touch one now)
    Renault Laguna 1.5 Dci €29,850 (its new looks good but the previous one had terrible reliablity):(
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi €26,855 (Yeah good solid car) always does well in the car survey's.:)
    Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4d €30,739 (Must be due to be replaced fairly soon):confused:
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 Tdi €31,190 (Oh yes, currently own an 06 1.9TDI Highline beautiful car, really solid to drive and great space):D
    Volvo S40 1.6d €31,199
    (nice car but very compact):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Has to be the Dodge Caliber!! Best car by a long way...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

CarLover wrote: »
    Has to be the Dodge Caliber!! Best car by a long way...

:p

What drugs are you on !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id go for the Mondeo. i drove a mates one very very nice although have to say the drivers seat seemed stiff or maybe im picky....:D

Advertisement