Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

42% of new car buyers will wait until July to buy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

leahcim wrote: »
    Maybe I should have more faith in the of the car sales industry to play fair.

Nothing to do with faith :)

This time we will pay more attention and compare the new prices with what they should be. And name and shame where necessary. I reckon the industry will be onto this and pass on the savings

BMW Ireland has already committed to passing on the full savings to the consumer. See post 52 in the sticky on the new VRT / tax regime

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

MarkN

If the prices are the same it is only by coincidence. Dealers are supposed to compete on price. They do go on list price, but it is a price they make up themselves.

The dealer list price certainly is not set by some external entity such as the distributor or manufacturer that would be considered to be operating as a cartel which is illegal. See a recent case here.

I know in practice main dealers do not vary much in price, usually there is a slight difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

leahcim wrote: »
    MarkN

If the prices are the same it is only by coincidence.

So eh how come if you go onto bmw.ie, audi.ie, ford.ie, volkswagen.ie, you can build your own car, get a price and then toddle along to a dealer?

If you don't mention you've been elsewhere or ask, what discount can you do.. don't think for one minute that the dealer won't charge you list price!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

mike65 wrote: »
    If he can afford 80 grand for such a car I won't shed any tears!

Mike.

You may not care but I'd say the driver will. If someone has an 80k car we need to be careful about assuming that this person just had it lying around - perhaps they have spent half their life trading up gradually so that they could afford the car they want (regardless of what that car is). Now they find it could be worth up to 10k less (outside of depreciation).

TheBazman wrote: »
    You may not care but I'd say the driver will. If someone has an 80k car we need to be careful about assuming that this person just had it lying around - perhaps they have spent half their life trading up gradually so that they could afford the car they want (regardless of what that car is). Now they find it could be worth up to 10k less (outside of depreciation).

I think Mike means if someone has 80 grand in a bank account to walk in and say, I'll have that one.. today.. thanks.. then it's easy come, easy go.

My own car was similar money, I own half ish of it but I would still be concerned as to any changes which might suddenly affect the money I have put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

DonJose wrote: »
    If that BMW was an automatic it might actually be cheaper to buy now.

It won't. 20% VRT for the Auto.

I saw a 08-D 520d at the weekend, I thought to myself what a clown for taking a car that will be dropping it's price by as much as 10 grand soon.

A lot of these people might be driving company cars though.. I know the BIK is still there but chances are if your boss likes you enough to buy you a 5 series, you wages mean you won't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

So eh how come if you go onto bmw.ie, audi.ie, ford.ie, volkswagen.ie, you can build your own car, get a price and then toddle along to a dealer?

You make a good point. It does seem a little bit anti-competative having a price for all dealers on the manufacturers website. It might be something the consumer agency might be interested in highlighting.

Any time I bought a new car dealers list price was lower than the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There was just a piece about the VRT changes in Drivetime there, a guy called Conor Twomey was on, he said that most of those saying they're going to buy a new car in July will just defer till next year, because there will be holidays, people gone away etc., and pople will say well sure I've waited this long for a new reg, I might as well wait another few months so I can have a 09 reg, and I think what he is saying there makes a lot of sense.

Advertisement