Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got me a Router.....

Options
  • 08-01-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Was in woodies yesterday buying up the place for power tools and came across a router for 23 euro so i bought it... (ROK, cheap, but cheerful :D ) (always wanted to get into using one). It has no bits supplied with it and I've not a clue how to use it yet, but I know what I wanna do with it (rebates to make shelves, smooth bevels etc), so if anyone can help with some advice on what bits I need to buy and anything else, I would be very grateful...

Thanks

FBP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

That's a very cheap router, I'm assuming it's a 1/4" or 3/8" model? You can buy DIY sets of the more common moulding profiles (chamfer, ovolo, roundover, housing etc) for pretty small money. I bought a Trend set of DIY quality cutters (about 10 cutters) for my own 1/2" router for less than €40 a couple of years ago. The DIY cutters are no where near professional grade but they're fine for DIY as long as you don't try to cut too aggresively etc. Plan the work ahead and always try out your set up on a piece of scrap before attacking the project in hand. Small passes taking light cuts will yield better results and ensure you do not overheat the cutter or router. Always wear eye protection. I've had bits shear off in a table set up and it's not funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭D-OLEARY

routing is very tricky and can jump about a bit take it easy at the start till u no how to use it 1 thing i will say ok but a cheep router it might not last long but ok if u just wanna try it out but never buy cheep bits thay car shater and the router spins so fast the out come can be pretty nasty so have fun and all ways be wary to new tools

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Thanks for your replies guys.
    The router says it takes 6mil & 8mil bits (and another size that escapes me)... probably knowin' me, its no good, or too small, but hey, gotta start somewhere... it re& tennon style then I'll be chuffed...

Thanks again..

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I saw router bits in the Aldi on the Belgard Road last week even though they were on special, weeks ago. Priced around €12 for a box of 12 boxes (I think).

Check a few Aldi stores to see if they have any left.

Enjoy & work safe.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Oddjobber

€23 for a router !! The first thing I'd be buying is a circuit breaker to plug it into. DIY tools should not cost that little to manufacturer !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Oddjobber wrote: »
    €23 for a router !! The first thing I'd be buying is a circuit breaker to plug it into. DIY tools should not cost that little to manufacturer !

Actually the likes of Woodies and B+Q tend to sell off a lot of power tools that were used as display models. I was in B+Q the other day and they were selling a circular saw (foget the make) for 20 euro. Now it was a missing the blade and the retaining bolt, but it was still a bargain.

I would actually be tempted to pick up one of those routers meself. I'm looking for a cheap router to mount permanently in my router table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

On the subject of cheap and b+q I picked up a table thingy for my chop saw,it was €97,surprisingly sturdy,about a 6-7 foot extension each side with stops,removable clamps so you can take the saw and clamps off in one go,no unscrewing, the legs retract and the whole thing is easily carried if need be. It's about the best quality thing I have ever got in b+q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

dont wanna be a drag, but i got 1 of those cheap aldi sets and 3 bits sheared pretty easily... was wearing safety glasses so .. be careful is all. my good b&d router deserves better!!! very rewarding since i bought a good set in international in cork city:D

staker wrote: »
    dont wanna be a drag, but i got 1 of those cheap aldi sets and 3 bits sheared pretty easily... was wearing safety glasses so .. be careful is all. my good b&d router deserves better!!! very rewarding since i bought a good set in international in cork city:D

Yeah, I noticed that myself. The cheap bits are ok for light work, such as chamfering or rounding off an edge, but for heavy work - rebates, grooves etc. they seem to be lacking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement