Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door can get Eircom BB, I cant!!

Options
  • 08-01-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just talked to one of the lads i work with, he has built a lovely new house down the west. He was saying his next door neighbour has eircom broadband but he cant. The same pole is being used to bring the cable into each house. All the other neighbours can get it too. He only got his phoneline last week however Eircom are saying he cant.

Has anyone ever come across this or what exactly is the problem?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Happened in my Mum's old house in Galway - the houses either side were fine for broadband but our line wasn't. Eircom don't give a **** because as they'll tell you they're only mandated to provide voice lines, not broadband lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If it's a new line it often isn't in the BB database. Odds are next time the line is tested it will pass. I think you can request a test but I am unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

paulm17781 wrote: »
    If it's a new line it often isn't in the BB database. Odds are next time the line is tested it will pass. I think you can request a test but I am unsure.

Yeah i was thinking that alright. Hopefully thats the case.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is correct, give it time,
    Also Just because next door can get Broadband doesn't mean you can, it very well could be your internal wiring causing it to fail.

Cabaal wrote: »
    This is correct, give it time,
    Also Just because next door can get Broadband doesn't mean you can, it very well could be your internal wiring causing it to fail.

Right, so that would involve getting an Eircom technican out to the house aswell, correct?

• Advertisement

glineli wrote: »
    Right, so that would involve getting an Eircom technican out to the house aswell, correct?

It would but I would assume that the line hasn't been tested yet. Give it a month / 3 weeks before doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

From the first post, I don't think the issue is that this is a new line (or maybe I am wrong). So not being on the database should not be the issue.
    I would guess that the issue is either the total attenuation on the particular line is too high (which indeed as pointed out above may be due to the internal wiring or dodgy equipment such as an old modem connected to the line) OR he is on a carrier, while his neighbours are not.

He should ask eircom customer care to advise him why he cannot get BB. They should at least tell him whether he is on a carrier or if it is the level of the line. If the former, he can try to press for them to move him off the carrier (they may do this if he pushes hard enough) or if the latter, he should plug a phone into the master socket and remove all other wires and then wait a couple of weeks and try again to see if his line has pre-qualified.

Grommet wrote: »
    From the first post, I don't think the issue is that this is a new line (or maybe I am wrong). So not being on the database should not be the issue.
    I would guess that the issue is either the total attenuation on the particular line is too high (which indeed as pointed out above may be due to the internal wiring or dodgy equipment such as an old modem connected to the line) OR he is on a carrier, while his neighbours are not.

He should ask eircom customer care to advise him why he cannot get BB. They should at least tell him whether he is on a carrier or if it is the level of the line. If the former, he can try to press for them to move him off the carrier (they may do this if he pushes hard enough) or if the latter, he should plug a phone into the master socket and remove all other wires and then wait a couple of weeks and try again to see if his line has pre-qualified.

Hi Grommet

This is a new line, only went in 2 weeks ago. So is it likely to be the db issue??

Hi Grommet

This is a new line, only went in 2 weeks ago. So is it likely to be the db issue??

I really think it is. The lines are tested every 3 weeks or monthly or something, I don't remember how often. I have frequently seen people who got a new line here fail the test only for them to pass at a later date. I'm not definitely right but this has happened to lots of people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Unfortunately that's not always true. sometimes even after few months you can be told the line doesn't qualify and even from their tech support you won't hear any other reason that: test shows you can't have bb. and even talking to customer care won't change it because they will send you back to... tech support.

I think it rather has sth to do with type of exchange you are connected to but I'm not 100% sure. If you press tech support they should be better in explaining what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A neighbour of my brother in law had exactly the same problem.
    His line didn't pass the broadband test and my brother in laws did and he was literally just over the road, no more than 25ft away.
    In fact the line to each house was being fed from the same telegraph pole.

I mentioned to the friend that the pot where the mine came into the house may be full of water and this would make a difference. Net time I saw him he said he had broadband and had cleared loads if water out of said pot.

Just a thought. That is if your line comes in above ground of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

I was having the same problem. My phone line was only put in (new build) 8 months ago. I did the line checker thru eircom/talk talk/bt/digiweb at the beginning of Dec and all said line was suitable. So I ordered the BB online. 1 week later I checked the line again and all were showing line as unsuitable!!! I contacted my supplier who have investigated and they say that the eircom server in Dublin is not recognising the line but it is suitable (the online order wouldn’t have gone thru otherwise). The order is progressing and I should be getting my modem any day now!! Hopefully:rolleyes:

kleefarr wrote: »
    A neighbour of my brother in law had exactly the same problem.
    His line didn't pass the broadband test and my brother in laws did and he was literally just over the road, no more than 25ft away.
    In fact the line to each house was being fed from the same telegraph pole.

I mentioned to the friend that the pot where the mine came into the house may be full of water and this would make a difference. Net time I saw him he said he had broadband and had cleared loads if water out of said pot.

Just a thought. That is if your line comes in above ground of course.

Thanks for that. Quick question, how you mean pot?? The line comes in above ground via pole

Aseth wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not always true. sometimes even after few months you can be told the line doesn't qualify and even from their tech support you won't hear any other reason that: test shows you can't have bb. and even talking to customer care won't change it because they will send you back to... tech support.

I think it rather has sth to do with type of exchange you are connected to but I'm not 100% sure. If you press tech support they should be better in explaining what happened.

But this chaps neighbour has BB so it is not the exchange. Let's review:

1) Neighbours has BB
    2) Line is 2 weeks old.

It is most likely a DB issue and not a problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks for that. Quick question, how you mean pot?? The line comes in above ground via pole

Yeah. He checked any outside boxes etc to see if they have water in them and said that there was a "pot" on the side of the house where the line comes in that was full of water. He soaked it up and hey presto. :cool:

Don't know why I suggested it, was just a brain storm really. Amazed it worked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

1) Neighbours has BB
    2) Line is 2 weeks old.

What I mean is he and his neighbour can be connected to 2 different exchanges. But it's just a guess. As good as any other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

1) Neighbours has BB
    2) Line is 2 weeks old.

It is almost certainly a DB issue. Had to wait 4 weeks in Carlow town for new line to show on DB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It is almost certainly a DB issue. Had to wait 4 weeks in Carlow town for new line to show on DB.
    I got a new line in December, and it was still showing "May be suitable, subject to test" on eircom's site when I got Smart 7M installed. They hadn't updated the line status in the database even after 4 weeks.

If the OP's friend wants to get broadband, he should just put the order in and see what happens.

Aseth wrote: »
    What I mean is he and his neighbour can be connected to 2 different exchanges. But it's just a guess. As good as any other ;)

The odd of that are practically zero, both houses lines come in off the same pole. One guess isn't as good as another, I'm about 99% certain I'm right. :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jor el wrote: »
    If the OP's friend wants to get broadband, he should just put the order in and see what happens.

An order won't be accepted unless the line shows a green or an amber pass on the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kaizersoze wrote: »
    An order won't be accepted unless the line shows a green or an amber pass on the test.

Online yes, but I wonder if you ring up would they accept the order and have it subject to the test passing? It might force them into doing a test sooner too, or he could at least ask them to do one since he's ordering the product.

jor el wrote: »
    Online yes, but I wonder if you ring up would they accept the order and have it subject to the test passing? It might force them into doing a test sooner too, or he could at least ask them to do one since he's ordering the product.

Online or by phone, they will not accept the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Same thing happened to me, both houses either side had eircon broadband, but I couldnt get it.

Took me 6 months of emailing the CEO to eventually get it.

just out of interest - does anyone know who can tell you if you are on a pair gain/split/carrier line if you are not an eircom customer?

bijou wrote: »
    just out of interest - does anyone know who can tell you if you are on a pair gain/split/carrier line if you are not an eircom customer?

Your dialup speed is a good indication.
    28k or lower and you're on a carrier.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Your dialup speed is a good indication.
    28k or lower and you're on a carrier.

So if you are on a carrier can you get that changed? If i paid full whack for a new line to be put in 8 month ago, shouldn't that be a dedicated line? I have never used the dial up on this line so don't know what the speeds are:rolleyes:
    Sorry for the questions but I ordered bb on line because the on line line-checker said it was suitable and the order was taken and confirmed (online). Now the line checker thingy says it's not suitable - getting a wee bit frustrated as when I call them about it they tell me it is available however, still waiting for the modem/router to arrive 1 month after ordering it:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you march into the local depot and grab an engineer and kneel then yes, the call centre will not do anything for you .

Alternatively catch them in the local exchange when you see the van outside , the majority are grand and will do something for you if you ask nicely .

My situation is now getting even more frustrating! I had a call from an eircom rep yesterday telling me that the our exchange had been enabled (already knew that:rolleyes:) and that my line is a carrier line and if I switch back to eircom he can guarantee that the carrier can be removed and I can have BB within 2-3 weeks!!

Now..... I am even more confused as my current suppliers story has been that the line has passed the tests and the order is progressing and I should be getting my modem any time now (bearing in mind I placed the order online at beginning of December). But in a second sentence they are saying they are waiting for engineers to get back to them. Who do I believe? An eircom sales rep (possibly out for commission) or my current supplier?
    Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.:)

I just found this article on Silicon Republic - granted its a bit old now but makes for interesting reading especialy the parts that state:

“Every line is tested once a month. Since 2001 Eircom has been prohibited from placing further carriers on the line.
    and
    “Eircom is supposed to provide ComReg with information on split lines, and while existing lines have been split, it has been prohibited from doing this on new lines.”

My line was put in 8 months ago - does anybody think I have a case??

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?uid=cdlong&sid=dA9k46cd&storyid=single3765

• Advertisement

Hi

Just talked to one of the lads i work with, he has built a lovely new house down the west. He was saying his next door neighbour has eircom broadband but he cant. The same pole is being used to bring the cable into each house. All the other neighbours can get it too. He only got his phoneline last week however Eircom are saying he cant.

Has anyone ever come across this or what exactly is the problem?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

glineli - how did your mate get on??

Advertisement