Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will the cats fight

Options
  • 08-01-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

were going to be minding my sisters cat but I'm wondering what are the chances that he will start fighting with our own cats. he is a neutered male and our other two cats are also neutered males

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

He'll probably just try to avoid your cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

In my experience all cats react differently. You might want to introduce the new cat to each separately in a neutral room (i.e. one your cats don't spend most of their time in). See how they are with each other and try stroking your own cat to reassure them.

I had a pusín in at my mothers over the Christmas and all our cats growled at him. I wouldn't have been able to leave him in the same room for fear of the dominant ones trying to attack, although it was fine if I was in the room. However in the past I'd introduced new cats with no problems. I'd say it's easier with young cats as the adults don't feel as threatened. Do you have a room the friends cat can stay in separate from your two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I like to keep new cats in a room by themself; then a day or so later, when I want to introduce my own animals, I open the door about an inch and fasten it at that level of openness with fishing twine strung from the door-handle to a nail or another door-handle.

This means that noses can go through, but not whole cats. so people can sniff, without hurting each other.

(I put the new cat in the room so fastened.)

If all goes well, I open the door slightly while I sit outside to supervise, and the in-room cat can come out to explore, then the other cat/s can smell and test. Then I shut the in-room cat in again for the other cats to have a cautious sniff.

Then I repeat, but with the outside (my own) cats around. The in-room cat comes out very cautiously, with me watching and ready for any trouble, and the home cats are watching. Noses are touched, a certain amount of hissing, a retreat for washing and distrustful gazing, then back to square one.

After a few tries, with hours and hours between to allow everyone to settle down, it comes to the point where they actually sit and talk, and touch noses without hissing. Then I relax, and while I leave the door fastened open (but this time with room for a cat to squeeze through), they mostly get on with each other after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

That's a good idea luckat. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thefox84

that is great luckat.
    thanks everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement