Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for New House

Options
  • 08-01-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We are going to be moving appliances, tiles etc into our new house soon. So I want to get an alarm system fitted beforehand. The house is a 3-bed semi and is prewired for the alarm.
    Can any of you recommend an alarm company to do this. Or even a diy alarm kit that I could fit myself? I would be quite comfortable doing the fitting, but if it wasn't much more expensive I'd get a company to do the lot.

Any advice appreciated... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi Folks,

We are going to be moving appliances, tiles etc into our new house soon. So I want to get an alarm system fitted beforehand. The house is a 3-bed semi and is prewired for the alarm.
    Can any of you recommend an alarm company to do this. Or even a diy alarm kit that I could fit myself? I would be quite comfortable doing the fitting, but if it wasn't much more expensive I'd get a company to do the lot.

Any advice appreciated... :)

Puma alarms did mine.............top job,top service and good price....087 8119656.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Can any of you recommend an alarm company to do this. Or even a diy alarm kit that I could fit myself?

Just a bit of advice! The company that installs your alarm must be certified and registered as an alarm company and not just an electrician doing a "nixer". This is new legislation that came out in 2006. It was introduced to protect the customer, i.e. you! because what was happening was that cowboys were installing alarms putting in their own "alarm code" as well as the customers code and coming back and breaking in to the property OR selling the code on to others. If the company is not registered, both the customer and the installer are liable for very hefty fines..
    Most house insurance companys offer a discount on your premium for having a properly instaled alarm (usually 10%).
    I only know all this as my brother owns his own Alarm Company...
    Hope it helps....
    P.S. The company is called *******************

MOD EDIT: Edit due to advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

mildews wrote: »
    Can any of you recommend an alarm company to do this. Or even a diy alarm kit that I could fit myself?

Just a bit of advice! The company that installs your alarm must be certified and registered as an alarm company and not just an electrician doing a "nixer". This is new legislation that came out in 2006. It was introduced to protect the customer, i.e. you! because what was happening was that cowboys were installing alarms putting in their own "alarm code" as well as the customers code and coming back and breaking in to the property OR selling the code on to others. If the company is not registered, both the customer and the installer are liable for very hefty fines..
    Most house insurance companys offer a discount on your premium for having a properly instaled alarm (usually 10%).
    I only know all this as my brother owns his own Alarm Company...
    Hope it helps....

So diy alarm installs are not allowed?
    What would a typical price be for an alarm company to install a good quality alarm in a 3-bed semi then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

You basically just a regular system with door and window contacts and a couple of PIRs.
    The alarm really should be linked to a monitoring station by a telephone connection.

You can get wireless alarm systems that are easy to install by yourself but it's doubtful you could have your alarm remotely monitored if you installed it yourself.

Like a previous poster said you should get the alarm installed by someone who is registered with the NSAI.

There are some newer systems out there now that as well as remote monitoring they allow you to connect your alarm to your broadband.
    This lets you monitor your alarm system live from your office or wherever you can get an internet connection.
    It's probably a little OTT for a house but if that's what you're into...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Go to the PSA website here and pick out a few local companies to get quotes. All alarm companies have to be PSA licensed.
    Expect to pay between €500-€600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

try

http://www.aaa.ie/cgi-bin/quotation.cgi

They fitted on for me using the existing wiring and you can get a quote on their site.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It was introduced to protect the customer, i.e. you! because what was happening was that cowboys were installing alarms putting in their own "alarm code" as well as the customers code and coming back and breaking in to the property OR selling the code on to others.

Do you have any details on this??? I amin the business over 20 years & never heard of even one case of this happening..
    The legislation was introduced initially to regulate door staff from there it was expanded to include installation companys.

To the original poster..Can you state your location.. No point in me recommending companys in Dublin if your down the country..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

koolkid wrote: »
    To the original poster..Can you state your location.. No point in me recommending companys in Dublin if your down the country..:)

Hi,
    I'm in monasterevin, in co. kildare. Any recommendations around here?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KingDermo

word to the wise..not sure if this is true but here goes.

Install alarm, good job done but not certified, tell insurance you got one and save the couple of euros on house insurance. Leave the house & don't set the alarm. say you get broken into!! happens. I know of case where the insurance company has refused to pay out for this scenario!!! because the alarm was not set :(
    Pose the scenario to your insurance company and see what they say!!!
    Tell them nothing about your alarm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

I bought a DIY system from Maplin.co.uk, it does both wired & wireless also can have upto 4 x remote controls. I did it this way for a few reasons.
    1. the house was pre-wired,
    2. The quotes I was getting to do the house and garage where large, to be honest can't remember but was hundreds,
    3. The scenario mentioned above where insurance company would not pay out if you forget to set the alarm, so no point getting a certified engineer to fit it.
    4. I like to play,

Anyway biggiest hastle for me was wireing directly into the fuse box, took 10mins to figure out and installing the bell box on the outside wall. There was wiring so just a matter of connecting up but I hate heights! Oh and battery backup I installed the batteries in the control and bell boxes a few weeks later, was a bit noisey for me and the neighbours for 20mins but got it sorted.

Cost = £300 sterling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 letsgogo

Please help!
    I just moved into a house and Alarm (Security Watch
    HKC Ltd
    ) is already installed and well working....the only prob is that the old owner alarm code is on, everybody knows is (also the estate agency) so I am wondering if you can help me in accessing the Menu on the panel and reset/change the alarm code... i dont have the original manual book, of course he didnt leave it to me,..thank you in advance....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

KingDermo wrote: »
    word to the wise..not sure if this is true but here goes.

Install alarm, good job done but not certified, tell insurance you got one and save the couple of euros on house insurance. Leave the house & don't set the alarm. say you get broken into!! happens. I know of case where the insurance company has refused to pay out for this scenario!!! because the alarm was not set :(
    Pose the scenario to your insurance company and see what they say!!!
    Tell them nothing about your alarm!

They can also refuse to pay out if you have an uncertified alam installed anyway

brother owns his own Alarm Company...
    Hope it helps....

try

http://www.aaa.ie/cgi-bin/quotation.cgi

They fitted on for me using the existing wiring and you can get a quote on their site.

Can I ask What constitutes advertising?
    Why is one name removed while a link to another company is allowed?

I see that my thread was edited for "advertising", well then why was the previous thread to mine not also edited as this seems like "advertisment" too??

Mods any reason ???????????

Puma alarms did mine.............top job,top service and good price....087 8119656.

Is this not advertisement too???????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well i rang to a companey found on google he quote 595 and if i want to add mobile connecte with alarm have to pay extra 200€ (once off). house is pre wired and 7 windows and two doors on ground floor(595 not include upstairs windows). and he also said he is will install honeywell or hkc depend on customer but price is same. now its bit expencive for me now i just checked on aaa.ie and it is giving me 720 :mad:
    to expencive, i thnk i will be doing some diy here as well:rolleyes:
    now just wandering where from i can buy all this system?

Is this guy you found on google listed here :rolleyes:

i dont really remember but just found on google and rang him, and i think its bit expencive 595 and then aaa 720.
    and its basic alarm, no connectivity with broadband or with mobile.
    really hate that.
    i think i will be doing some search on net for broadband connecteable alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

wasim21k wrote: »
    i dont really remember but just found on google and rang him, and i think its bit expencive 595 and then aaa 720.
    and its basic alarm, no connectivity with broadband or with mobile.
    really hate that.
    i think i will be doing some search on net for broadband connecteable alarms

You can buy hkc alarm equipment from EEW in Portlaoise. A complete system should cost you no more than 300 yo yo or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

either boxer alarms or MAC alarms definately the best two i have worked with in the midland i would recommend boxer on the fact they so friendly and their work so clean.

• Advertisement

You can buy hkc alarm equipment from EEW in Portlaoise. A complete system should cost you no more than 300 yo yo or less.

€300??? can you list what you are buying for that??
    Thats cheeper than any supplier I know:confused::rolleyes:

€300??? can you list what you are buying for that??
    Thats cheeper than any supplier I know:confused::rolleyes:

Its an electrical wholesalers. I bought the bell box, keypad, panel, battery, 2 pir's, the indoor bellbox thingy and a pile of sensors for the doors and windows. This was only for a bungalow and it cost me around 250.

What panel was that???

What panel was that???

Only the best HKC

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I have a quick question. Even though I have a Astech alarm and panel...The keypad panel doesnt illuminate (unless you depress the buttons & hard to find in dark) and the buttons dont always work. Can this be upgraded to a better keypad panel, possibly a HKC??

batman2000 wrote: »
    I have a quick question. Even though I have a Astech alarm and panel...The keypad panel doesnt illuminate (unless you depress the buttons & hard to find in dark) and the buttons dont always work. Can this be upgraded to a better keypad panel, possibly a HKC??

NO...2 complete different systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 erickeogh89

letsgogo wrote: »
    Please help!
    I just moved into a house and Alarm (Security Watch
    HKC Ltd
    ) is already installed and well working....the only prob is that the old owner alarm code is on, everybody knows is (also the estate agency) so I am wondering if you can help me in accessing the Menu on the panel and reset/change the alarm code... i dont have the original manual book, of course he didnt leave it to me,..thank you in advance....
    Hi, in order to change a user code you usually need the engineer code, the person who installed the alarm would have this...... Check the main panel for a company sticker or no. Normally the function which allows the user to change the codes is turned off by default...
    If you can't get in contact with the original installer you can reset the panel but this means it would need to be fully programmed again

When you enter the existing user code does the system set or does it go into the user menu?
    Normally the function which allows the user to change the codes is NOT turned off

thanks m8, but do u mind to send me their address in pm coz their web site is not working,

• Advertisement

wasim21k wrote: »
    thanks m8, but do u mind to send me their address in pm coz their web site is not working,
    You wont find anything on their site,
    Go out the Timahoe road from Portlaoise, after the road works there will be a sparrow campion insurance building on the left, turn into the industrial estate after it. Pass the nct centre on your left and they are 2 or 3 buildings after that on the left. There is no name over the door. Normally there will be an esb van or electricians van outsite. Tell them Padraig advised you to go there, they may be more leniant!

Advertisement