Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital camera with Windown 98

• 08-01-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    A friend of mine has Windows 98 on his PC, it’s a piece of crap really, very slow but he is too tight to upgrade.
    He bought a digital camera and as you know a driver needs to be installed to access the camera.
    He installed all the SW on the CD provided but when you plug the camera into the USB port nothing happens.
    If the driver is not installed properly, should the PC not recognise a foreign device and look for a driver anyway?
    I am not much good with computers but I must take a look at it some evening. I reckon that I will just uninstall the SW and begin from scratch. Has anyone any tips. I know the USB port is working because the printer works off the same port.
    Is there any way of checking what’s attached to a USB port
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Hi Glen

there are few issues with Windows 98. I would rather say, it is too old. With introduction of vista platform, every company is updating its softwares to make those compatible with vista. At the same pace these softwares are becoming incompatible with 98 and older versions. If the camera is new, i am not surprised its sf not working with 98.

Well in almost every device needs specific driver and if you don't have compatible driver it won't recognize.

Your best bet is look at camera website and find software for older versions of windows..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks, I will check wheter or not the driver supports win 98 or not.
    But shouldn't the computer recognise the device anyway even without the driver? Slouldn't it prompt you to locate a driver for the device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

But shouldn't the computer recognise the device anyway even without the driver? Slouldn't it prompt you to locate a driver for the device?

No , not with Windows 98 and USB , that feature only came along with XP.

Si if I find and install the correct driver then the computer should detect the camera just like it does with XP and the rest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless the driver says it's for 98 it won't work

Don't forget that may usb drivers only work for windows 98 SE (second edition) and not on the earlier 98

check the camera some have two modes, one where it acts as a web cam or similar and the other like a usb key.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advise. I checked my own camera last night, it is nearly new and its got a driver to support win98 & win98 SE.
    Is it correct that a certain percentage of new cameras may not have a driver for win98 included...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Possible, it is a 10 year old OS which should have been retired from any sort of usage about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You might have more luck getting a cheapo card reader - put the memory card from the camera in it to copy photos off it.

Advertisement