Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we discuss legal cases on this forum

• 08-01-2008 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm very new to boards. Just wondering if we can discuss ongoing, pending or previous cases on this forum???

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Yes, once they are within the terms of the charter. I'd suggest you read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

you're more than welcome to discuss legal cases here. but as with everything, exercise some common sense, be careful not to defame, insult or make irrational statements and all will be good! welcome by the way!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Only cases whose decisions have been published can be discussed. Academic aspects can be approached, but we all have to be careful that we don't find ourselves in contempt of court.

We also require people to read the forum charter and stickies in full. You are deemed to be aware of their contents when you post in this forum and ignorance is no excuse. So, if you find yourself banned and don't know why, it is certainly because you haven't read the charter and stickies or have missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Criminal Cases pending or currently before the Circuit Criminal Court or Central Criminal Court would be a big no no

as would perhaps defamation cases before the High Court

basically any case happening or about to happen that involves a jury

anything else I think would be fine, but criticising judges has its limits as if you criticise so much as to bring the administration of justice into disrepute, then its contempt.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thanks for that gabhain. Your post is, as always, far more succinct than any I could muster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gabhain7 wrote: »
    anything else I think would be fine, but criticising judges has its limits as if you criticise so much as to bring the administration of justice into disrepute, then its contempt.
    But!

Advertisement