Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop question

• 08-01-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

I know threads like this have popped up before but i searched and wasn't really sure. Have to go to the library today and do a few assignments, I've never brought a laptop into college before and was wondering, if i'm using the wireless network do i just search for the network and then connect? I'm running Vista Home Premium. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I know threads like this have popped up before but i searched and wasn't really sure. Have to go to the library today and do a few assignments, I've never brought a laptop into college before and was wondering, if i'm using the wireless network do i just search for the network and then connect? I'm running Vista Home Premium. thanks in advance

I think you have to enable proxy, just go in to the daedalus building and they'll get you sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ok cool. they don't still have problems with Vista do they? i remember they wouldn't support it before or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Sorry just a quick hijack:)

Will I be able to connect to the wireless with my iPod Touch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

you should be able to, i was with my psp, i just had to use proxy settings, there's a thread about it here somewhere with all the settings

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Try 'Automatically detect' for proxy usage

Proxy is:
    proxy.ucd.ie
    Port:

and you should be ok.

There is absolutely no problem with Vista on the network for internet surfing and the like. The college's print system is incompatible with Vista (and Mac).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

you can use the ipod touch, just set the proxy to proxy1.ucd.ie and the port number to 8484. Same with the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Red Alert wrote: »
    There is absolutely no problem with Vista on the network for internet surfing and the like. The college's print system is incompatible with Vista (and Mac).

Are you sure about the print thing on mac?

I was able to download an iPrint client for my Macbook. Granted when I tried to use it, it didn't work (document didn't print), but I was too lazy to investigate any further so I don't know if it can be fixed or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Red Alert wrote: »
    Try 'Automatically detect' for proxy usage

Proxy is:
    proxy.ucd.ie
    Port:

and you should be ok.
    Better option is to not have 'Automatically detect' ticked (as it slows doing connecting as it seeks the auto proxy settings that don't exist). Only have 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' ticked and enter the proxy info RA posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Im set to auto detect (firefox) and never noticed a delay. Actually find it quicker than ie with all the correct settings for starting up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yeah I was referring to IE, not firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Sean_K wrote: »
    Are you sure about the print thing on mac?

I was able to download an iPrint client for my Macbook. Granted when I tried to use it, it didn't work (document didn't print), but I was too lazy to investigate any further so I don't know if it can be fixed or not.
    IIRC the Mac iPrint client offered by UCD is for the old Mac OS, not Mac OS X. I could be wrong though, but I haven't found a working solution for OS X in any case.

Advertisement