Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamsters

Options
  • 08-01-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

For Christmas, Santa bought DS a beasutiful hamster that we are all mad about..Im just a little worried for him because of two things..

They are obv creatures of the night but Im worried that he wont be able to see..(this sounds so rediculas!) should I leave a light on for him??

Also, when I went into the kitchen (he is kept in the kitchen/hall last night, he was just sitting staring (he has been a little afriad of us and would never show his face) anyway, he was sitting there staring into space kinda shivering..I thought he was having a fit :confused: but then it dawned on me that he might be cold..?? he has loads of bedding stuff in this little house and he uses it to make a den and stuff or should I do something to warm him up at night??

This is my firts pet - cant you tell :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Hamsters have great night vision and prefer the night, they are shy and like to be able to bury themselves and keep warm, room temperature should be fine for a hamster, just make sure he's got clean water and food and that he is not been scared by excessive noise, radio etc.. handle him as often as possible to keep him human friendly and confident!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont mean to sound stupid but there would be an awful draft along a kitchen floor wouldn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

WE had a lovely hamster, and were mad about her, so enjoy her. But the hall not the best place, she needs to be off the floor (I assume she is), out of the way of any potential drafts. If she gets a cold, keep her drinking and hopefully she'll pull through. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

jameshayes wrote: »
    I dont mean to sound stupid but there would be an awful draft along a kitchen floor wouldn't there?

He isnt on the floor :confused:

Thanks for the replies guys..

I must hamdle him more, he is very afrid of us, but i thought id leave him for a couple of weeks because he is only a baby, but he's got so big (in relative terms!) - I might be more afriad of him actually, I jumped when I go to take him out (just before I touch time if he mqakes a sudden move!) therefore scare him!

when he wakes up ill take him out!

ETA - There are no drafts in the space he is now, on a sideboard in the hall/kitchen, the reason I wa sposting about it being cold is that my house isnt as warm as it usually is, being winter like!!

Also, how often should himself e in the hamster ball, he loves it - can fly around the place (think the hamster on malcom in the middle!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

LadyE wrote: »

I must hamdle him more, he is very afrid of us, but i thought id leave him for a couple of weeks because he is only a baby, but he's got so big (in relative terms!) - I might be more afriad of him actually, I jumped when I go to take him out (just before I touch time if he mqakes a sudden move!) therefore scare him!

when he wakes up ill take him out!

ive a gerbil, they are gas, just let him run about on the couch when its quiet, my gerbil loves that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

LadyE wrote: »

I must hamdle him more, he is very afrid of us, but i thought id leave him for a couple of weeks because he is only a baby!

Hi,
    That would be a very bad idea, because by then he will be used to not being tame and might object. If you tame him now, he will know no different. Hamsters especially males tame very easily when they are babies because they have no sense- I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean they won't see you as being potentially dangerous (because we are so much bigger than them) as much as they will a couple of weeks down the line. They grow up very fast! Also, when they are that small, they also won't have the sense not to jump if they decide they don't want to be held, so if you are going to handle him make sure you are sitting down or have him on your lap or something. They are short sighted so possibly don't realise how high up they are when we hold them standing up!

Thanks a mil for the advice - will get him up and out for a cuddle asap!

ah dont wake him...:o

LuckyStar wrote: »
    ah dont wake him...:o

Couldnt help myself :o

The change in him is unreal, i had him up and out playing with us since last post and he is deffo less scared (so am I!) he even came near when I was changing his food!

They're like cats, once they get curious about something they can never resist going over for a look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get him a wheel. When we had a hamster, he loved the wheel. Also loved escaping:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Each hamster is different, mine hates being awake anytime before 2A.M. but we try wake him up and get him out and about for some roaming, ours also like crawling up our sleeves and then back down to one of us waiting there to hold him.
    Ours doesn't really like his ball but he is adventerous and tries to jump off the bed all the time.
    I will be getting a lead(Sounds weird I know) for him soon so he can roam around the house without going missing and that way I can tell where he is at all times.

just dont get him one of the wheels that has gaps between the spokes, they can get their legs caught and injure them. The solid ones are best!

Advertisement