Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA exam and study for it

Options
  • 08-01-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a few queries, was going to do a course in CCNA, was advised not to , they said it would be a waste of €1800, for a CCNA,by Cisco guys at work over the past years, would like some opinions on

Cisco Lab

and the most up to update book , which not only reflects the change in CCNA structure but which will be an addition for work over the next few years as a reference point.I realise even getting CCNA would only open a door as would not recognised experience i could call on, would appreciate any feedback on this..

I have the A+,N+ and good few MCPs, never finished for the MCSE as felt wasnt in that job and it could be a hindrance if on paper without experience, from NT onwards and good exposure to CCNA though not official responsibility as was always keen to get that before going for exam..

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The CCNA is a great exam\cert to have, full stop.

As far as study and attending a course that all comes down to you really, if you feel you can study in your spare time within a reasonable time frame then go for it. ie Set a goal and book the exam now for two months down the road. This will force you into study mode and stop you from getting lazy (We all do it, me most of all)

Most people cant study like this and need courses to begin study.

That what I mean when I say it depends on you, if your able to set a study goal and make sure you pass it, then go for it.

The CCNA exam itself is quite tough for some one that only works on networks for 10/20% of the week, its alot to take in, but like I said its a great exam.

Personnaly I wouldnt bother with buying the actual Cisco Hardware, I would just get the books and Cisco router software and start studying. I can get you a 1721 router if you want to paractice the command line stuff on an actual router.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks for the input, appreciate it, i was planning on getting the lab and then selling it on afterwards, i have some good network experience so not looking at it cold or anything, meeting more and more fellow IT workers who arent\cant do exams cos of centres not open on weekends,and because they're not working exclusively on it, but have to go for CCNA now, wanted to do it for past 2 years,thanks again, how would i get the router off u??

The CCNA is a great exam\cert to have, full stop.

As far as study and attending a course that all comes down to you really, if you feel you can study in your spare time within a reasonable time frame then go for it. ie Set a goal and book the exam now for two months down the road. This will force you into study mode and stop you from getting lazy (We all do it, me most of all)

Most people cant study like this and need courses to begin study.

That what I mean when I say it depends on you, if your able to set a study goal and make sure you pass it, then go for it.

The CCNA exam itself is quite tough for some one that only works on networks for 10/20% of the week, its alot to take in, but like I said its a great exam.

Personnaly I wouldnt bother with buying the actual Cisco Hardware, I would just get the books and Cisco router software and start studying. I can get you a 1721 router if you want to paractice the command line stuff on an actual router.

Have good few ebooks for it, could u recommend the latest ccna book and cisco router software labs??Much appreciated...Who works on networks for 10/20% of the week btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Do a google for Dynamips/Dynagen, a Cisco router emulator, supply your own images (the guys at work should have them) and you have any Cisco router you like...not a sim. but a fully operational system running real images. Since it's only useful for study Cisco have never taken any action against the developers or distributors of this emulator so you don't have to worry about ethics. It's don't-ask/don't-tell.
    You can pick up smaller switches or older beasts like the 2924XL pretty cheaply on Ebay and they will cover everything you need for the CCNA.
    Lastly don't just look at a physical lab as useful for the CCNA only. The CCNA is really just a stepping stone (albeit a big one) to their pro. level certs and that same hardware will come in very handy.

@CorkFenian Where do you live?

I'm based in Dublin or Galway

• Advertisement

@CorkFenian Where do you live?

I'm based in Dublin or Galway

Based in Dublin , yeah would be interested...Thanks..

Drop me a PM with your name + number.

You can collect during the day or any evening.

Its 1721 recently flashed

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Guy i recently passed the exam 1000/1000.................What i can advise is to know all the swtich commands and how to configure an acl

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Folks doing ccna myself, i have a good few Cisco 1900's here if anyone is interested pm me or mail michael dot obrien at hp dot com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Would it be possible for someone to pass these exams without any hands on experience, just relying on a book and the Boson software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

/\
    in the same boat myself, basically a graduate with intro to networks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yes it is, not advisable but it's done quite often with folks trying to break into the Cisco world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Blitz wrote: »
    Folks doing ccna myself, i have a good few Cisco 1900's here if anyone is interested pm me or mail michael dot obrien at hp dot com

Not useful for CCNA study.

2900's needed, preferably 2950's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

I am looking into self study, but where can you sit only the CCNA 640-802 exam within Dublin, and does anyone know how much this costs?

How long and what format is this exam?

I have worked as a network/infrastructure admin for 3 years and just found out from the start of this year my company will give me an increase if i get this cert...

Just a quick query what would people recommend ,

(a) Doing the one single test CCNA 640-802

or

(b) The two tests ICND1 640-822 and 640-816

Would appreciate feedback on the above..

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

The 2 exam route provides you a number of benefits:

- Breaks the material down into manageable pieces
    - Passing 640-822 gives you a CCENT qualification
    - Completion of the 640-816 exam will give you CCNA
    - CCENT is a good foundation for 640-822

The CCNA has recently changed. IMO, it is a tougher exam to pass than the old CCNA syllabus. A number of items that were formerly CCNP material have migrated to CCNA. But that makes the course content interesting.

After you cover the course material, you need to work your way through the labs and take plenty of practice exams (timed....just like the real exam because the CCNA exam is all about thoroughly understanding the material and time management).

If you do not have access to real cisco equipment, the simulation software included with the Cisco press or platinum edition of the cybex guide will be adequate at this level.

Plus the CCNA material is a very good foundation for both the routing and switching exam at CCNP level.

Hi just looking for an update of advice, appreciate advice on this topic thus far, looking to book CCNA and do it within next month, have been studying it on\off for a while now, surprised by how much i remember, I guess doing hands on stands to u, looking for advice on doing 2 exam route or 1 exam route, i would do 1 ideally, besides ccent (and price) do i gain much from doing 2 exams, would appreciate any people who have done both giving an opinion, cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just passed the CCNA with a score of 986. I found the following website very useful <snip>

Just wondering how long does it take for Welcome kit to be dispatched? Is the welcome kit free or do you have to pay for it?

What is it with braindumps tonight.. anyways that site is a dodgy enough site.. not too sure if its dumping or just explaining all the questions but still ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dublinpd

Ginger wrote: »
    What is it with braindumps tonight.. anyways that site is a dodgy enough site.. not too sure if its dumping or just explaining all the questions but still ...

I came across with some content from the internet last year and I scored 876, enough to get a CCNA (640-801) at that time. I used router SIM and packet tracer from Cisco, another router simulator that I couldn't remember the name now and the best, in my opinion, was the testking. I studied answering all of those questions to test... that worked..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

dublinpd wrote: »
    I came across with some content from the internet last year and I scored 876, enough to get a CCNA (640-801) at that time. I used router SIM and packet tracer from Cisco, another router simulator that I couldn't remember the name now and the best, in my opinion, was the testking. I studied answering all of those questions to test... that worked..

TestKing is a braindump and is against the rules.

You could potentially have your cert taken away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

It's up to you if you want to sign up for CCNA camp which costs something like 3 or 4 Grand - not sure, depends on training company.
    I'd say it's defintely worth it but not everyone can afford it. If you can or your company can help your beare with the costs then go ahead with that.

When this is not an option then get decent book and get software simulation like Bososn or Router Sim and there are possibly few more out there.

From my experience it's absolutely enough to know the book and have software sims to pass CCNA.
    You don't need anything else - but might help.
    It's also very good to get some CCNA training videos like CBT Nuggets for example.
    I'd recommend official Cisco press books and Todd Lammale book from Sybex.

However, real lab will give you hands on practise, you would understand bit more than learning from 'software' and books so it's always the best way to go, but as I say - if you can afford it.

Another option is to get some cisco stuff from Ebay, decent lab for CCNA can be bought for no more than 300 pounds... this is not a fortune considering you can sell it away later on or just to keep it as training base for CCNP etc.

I'd definitely not recommend any kind of braindumps as only learning source. This is just lame.
    I know a fella who passed just on that and cannot subnet even smallest network and is not really sure what's difference between switch and router - no clue whatsoever...
    What's the point? Everyone with any knowledge would notice imediately that he knows nothing...
    What's point of having cert when you can't do any job it's designed for?

Use ready to go tests if you want it only as a mean of testing your knowledge before an exam - that's it...

You can pass CCNA by doing 2 separate exams ICND1 and ICND2 or just 1 exam 604-802.
    What way is better?
    Hard to say - if you have difficulties memorizing loads of stuff go ahead with 2, if you are quite confident about it have it at once and relax after job well done.

I think that is pretty much everything to cover, good luck my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dublinpd

It's up to you if you want to sign up for CCNA camp which costs something like 3 or 4 Grand - not sure, depends on training company.
    I'd say it's defintely worth it but not everyone can afford it. If you can or your company can help your beare with the costs then go ahead with that.

When this is not an option then get decent book and get software simulation like Bososn or Router Sim and there are possibly few more out there.

From my experience it's absolutely enough to know the book and have software sims to pass CCNA.
    You don't need anything else - but might help.
    It's also very good to get some CCNA training videos like CBT Nuggets for example.
    I'd recommend official Cisco press books and Todd Lammale book from Sybex.

However, real lab will give you hands on practise, you would understand bit more than learning from 'software' and books so it's always the best way to go, but as I say - if you can afford it.

Another option is to get some cisco stuff from Ebay, decent lab for CCNA can be bought for no more than 300 pounds... this is not a fortune considering you can sell it away later on or just to keep it as training base for CCNP etc.

I'd definitely not recommend any kind of braindumps as only learning source. This is just lame.
    I know a fella who passed just on that and cannot subnet even smallest network and is not really sure what's difference between switch and router - no clue whatsoever...
    What's the point? Everyone with any knowledge would notice imediately that he knows nothing...
    What's point of having cert when you can't do any job it's designed for?

Use ready to go tests if you want it only as a mean of testing your knowledge before an exam - that's it...

You can pass CCNA by doing 2 separate exams ICND1 and ICND2 or just 1 exam 604-802.
    What way is better?
    Hard to say - if you have difficulties memorizing loads of stuff go ahead with 2, if you are quite confident about it have it at once and relax after job well done.

I think that is pretty much everything to cover, good luck my friend.

Considering that I spent a lot in Cisco Stuff and Cisco Netacademy training, I think all the stuff was useful and you're testing yourself the same way as the Cisco Networking Academy Curriculum. I don't see the point on using stuff that could help yourself...

Advertisement