Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy in Dublin?

• 08-01-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Was walking by Pearse street staion yesterday and couldnt help but notice a piece of art on the bridge that looked incredibly like banksy. (famous graffiti artist :http://www.banksy.co.uk/ )
    There was three large pictures of madeline mc canns face stencilled in an andy warhol type fashion,all differnet colours.Then there was a black and white typical banksy style drawing of a young girl.
    Its very unusal graffiti for Dublin.Just wondering has anyone else seen it and how long its been up there for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Heard about this alright, dont think its Banksy though, since he's now mega rich (one of the richest living artists in the world) I doubt he'd still go around stencilling stuff but then again you never know!

"Laugh now but one day we'll be in charge"

Nowt on his site bout it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A Member with 4 years and almost 3000 posts and you still put this in AH???

Don't you know how much fun it is to wind up Biko?

Where should he put it?

Is there a graffiti/stencilling forum?

Doubt the art heads would take to kindly to this thread in their area....

As im sure its not "art"

:rolleyes:

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fieldog, the British Mueseum would disagree with you:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article223663.ece

Banksy's work is most certainly art. If only Grift and associated twats would take a leaf out of his book...

Anyone got a pic of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cellulite_sally

Moné

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sleepy wrote: »
    Fieldog, the British Mueseum would disagree with you:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article223663.ece

Banksy's work is most certainly art. If only Grift and associated twats would take a leaf out of his book...

I'm actually near enough to it. I've often wondered what it is. If I only had my camera I could get a picture up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Possibly Dogfaceboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

of course he still stencils outdoors u moron!! check his site out!

and the quality of the maddy stencil while good is nowhere near the quality of his stuff.

and to that twat slagging off grift. that guy has got some serious art skills. have u seen the giant grift icn chrome piece before connolly station coming from the northside? that took some serious skill to do..over a few nights..in the dark.

and have u not noticed the chap hasnt been around in about a year...duh....

copeyhagen wrote: »
    and to that twat slagging off grift. that guy has got some serious art skills. have u seen the giant grift icn chrome piece before connolly station coming from the northside? that took some serious skill to do..over a few nights..in the dark. .

Oh wow... he wrote his name... how inspiring.

• Advertisement

copeyhagan, if you admire the 'skill' of not being nicked for spraying a wall, sure Grift has skill. A drop shadowed bubble letter tag does not qualify as art imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

It's been there since at least September. Dont think it's Banksy. Reckon it could be Dogface.

Oh wow... he wrote his name... how inspiring.

Wonder if he spelt it correctly? As you may well know, spelling one's own name is quite tricky, especially when you have to use a stencil to accomplish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its not him. Just a copycat type of artist, there were other stencils of women in a bikini tied up but they seem to have been scratched off the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

My g/f got me the Banksy book for xmas, tis a great read/coffee table fodder, some savage pieces alright, she knows I like a lot of his stuff as its my pc background etc....

He is apparently 2nd richest living artist in the world, apparently after the dude who did that diamond skull....

Fieldog wrote: »
    My g/f got me the Banksy book for xmas, tis a great read/coffee table fodder, some savage pieces alright, she knows I like a lot of his stuff as its my pc background etc....

He is apparently 2nd richest living artist in the world, apparently after the dude who did that diamond skull....

Was that Damien Hirst?

I was thinking of becoming a conceptual artist, I have no talent but Im good at making things up as I go along. I already have an idea but I need 6 naked men and alot of swiss rolls. If you have either please PM me. :D

Lux23 wrote: »
    Was that Damien Hirst?

I was thinking of becoming a conceptual artist, I have no talent but Im good at making things up as I go along. I already have an idea but I need 6 naked men and alot of swiss rolls. If you have either please PM me. :D

Thats the one alright Damien Hirst,

I was thinkin the same meself, all these arty farty types and their statements, I could do better with a bic biro and an A4 pad, Banksy watch out!

I did see some of his work in London bout 2005 and it looked class, no one knew what it was about, or who did it at the time, I still have the camera phone pics of em somewhere, it was part of his rat collection, in Piccadilly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Badu

Methinks it is Asbestos.

Badu wrote: »
    Methinks it is Asbestos.

Is he based in Dublin? I have seen those little posters in a few places.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is he based in Dublin? I have seen those little posters in a few places.

Yres, he is a very good street artist. His stuff is all over dublin, I notice it in Smithfield esp. Dolls heads with a black rectangle over their eyes is on the pillars at Jervis luas stop.

I retract that it might be asbestos actually, its way to obvious for it to be him.

copeyhagan, if you admire the 'skill' of not being nicked for spraying a wall, sure Grift has skill. A drop shadowed bubble letter tag does not qualify as art imho.

pffft while you are entitled to your opinion that piece is not a "shadowed bubble letter tag", the height of the wall is well over 20 feet at its highest part, the structure of the letters on a wall that climbs higher steeply itself would have been hard, keeping the letters to be the same diameter would have been hard.

lets not get carried away on the whole grift topic. There have been topics opened and closed before. There will always be people that admire his work and people that hate it, so lets leave it at that.

Each to their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

My g/f got me the Banksy book for xmas, tis a great read/coffee table fodder, some savage pieces alright,

The book is great, I didn't know much about Banksy only a few of his more famous pieces, and my wee sis got the book for xmas, so this topic just caught my eye, had to join in!

pffft while you are entitled to your opinion that piece is not a "shadowed bubble letter tag", the height of the wall is well over 20 feet at its highest part, the structure of the letters on a wall that climbs higher steeply itself would have been hard, keeping the letters to be the same diameter would have been hard.

lets not get carried away on the whole grift topic. There have been topics opened and closed before. There will always be people that admire his work and people that hate it, so lets leave it at that.

Each to their own...
    I'll admit that I can see the skill in doing such a thing, I just don't consider it art. To me at least skill and talent are quite different things e.g. I'd consider DJ'ing a skill versus composing piano pieces an art/talent; technical drawing a skill versus painting portraits an art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Alas I have no camera phone or camera. Its at the bridge just near the back of Trinity.Soz not great with directions!
    Im a big Banksy fan.His work is ingenious,modern and very relevant.As he says himself I prefer street art/graffitti to the mind numbing,soul destroying billboard adverts that are inflicted on us everywhere.
    Yres, he is a very good street artist. His stuff is all over dublin, I notice it in Smithfield esp. Dolls heads with a black rectangle over their eyes is on the pillars at Jervis luas stop.
    I always wondered who put up those.I saw the 'find my remote and free me from nationwide' one down near the hapenny bridge and had a good laugh at it. The lost series is classic http://www.theartofasbestos.com/

Ive been seeing some good graffiti round Dublin recently. I passed Mount merrion school and convent yesterday.On the back gate there was a sign saying 'NO ENTRY to convent' and underneath someone had written 'or pussy'. Made me laugh anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Is that true? Didn't think he was that wealthy.

I seriously doubt it's a banksy piece. It's not spray painted, pretty sure it's a screenprint. And not at all his style imo.

No, its def not Banksy.

I'll admit that I can see the skill in doing such a thing, I just don't consider it art. To me at least skill and talent are quite different things e.g. I'd consider DJ'ing a skill versus composing piano pieces an art/talent; technical drawing a skill versus painting portraits an art.

I played guitar in a band for years before I took up djing, I consider neither a skill or talent tbh....

As you say Sleepy, an artist, to me, is someone who composes the piece as opposed to someone playing the piece i.e djing is only the medium, the gallery if you like, the composer should get the benefit, not the dj playing the track, but the dj is a way of getting the composer heard (Radio/club)

Its hard to class Banksy in either of these lights, as he uses the public as a canvas, a lot of people would see it as art,but a lot of art minded people wouldnt even utter it in the same breath as (insertnamehere) artist...

Id be interested to know if any of you guys (maybe from the art forum?) would consider Banksy's work as art? Or crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Grift: Windows Clipart in a spraycan.

Banksy is unbelievable. Kudos to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I played guitar in a band for years before I took up djing, I consider neither a skill or talent tbh....

Id be interested to know if any of you guys (maybe from the art forum?) would consider Banksy's work as art? Or crap?
    Of course there's skill in being a good dj. Reading the crowd, beatmatching and mixing - you have to have a natural aptitude for it. Unless you're one of those goons who are about as good as an ipod on shuffle or NOW61 or whatever teh fook pop compilation is out now, and there are many "djs|" like that playing the clubs.

Banksy's work imo is art, although his politics seem to be flawed now that he is successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

It's Asbestos..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

I think Bill Cosby did them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Art me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Are you havin a laugh? Is he havin a laugh?

He's avin' a Laaaaauughhh!

I have been djing on off for years. on radio, bedroom, at parties, whatever and tbh i consider it a talent to be able to pick the right tunes for a good set. jus switched over to digital and having a ball discovering new tricks.

getting a bit off topic there.

banksy is a graffiti artist. graffiti has many mediums, stencilling and wheatpasting as he does is one medium. using spraypaint and bucket paint as grift does is another medium.

but of course some people will say spraypainted work is not art and banksys stuff is..thats ridiculous.

go and google awr/msk and check their spraypainted work out, i cant link now as i am in work..

and just to close, grift afaik, NEVER paints on peoples private property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

He's avin' a Laaaaauughhh!

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Still no photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

and just to close, grift afaik, NEVER paints on peoples private property.

I never take a slash on peoples private property, somebody give me a pat on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Methinks it is Asbestos.
    That's a really cool site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Ive been wondering about those Dolls heads for months. Cheers for clearing that up.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Ive been seeing some good graffiti round Dublin recently. I passed Mount merrion school and convent yesterday.On the back gate there was a sign saying 'NO ENTRY to convent' and underneath someone had written 'or pussy'. Made me laugh anyways.

There used to be a standard blue litter bin at the back of Howth Junction DART station, but it was sprayed black and had "Garda complaint box" stencilled in white in the same font as the GARDA on their uniforms/hi-vis jackets.

I thought it was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

"Art" is probably the worst word that I've ever had to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There used to be a standard blue litter bin at the back of Howth Junction DART station, but it was sprayed black and had "Garda complaint box" stencilled in white in the same font as the GARDA on their uniforms/hi-vis jackets.

I thought it was hilarious.

Classic!
    I must buy a camera and capture all the graffiti golden moments I see across the capital.Though most of the good stuff is scrubbed of pretty quickly by the fuzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

of course he still stencils outdoors u moron!!... and to that twat slagging off grift...
    copeyhagen: personal abuse is not acceptable on this site.

Dudess wrote: »
    copeyhagen: personal abuse is not acceptable on this site.

Personal abuse ... as in masturbation?

Woah.

Also, 3 pages and nobody has mentioned, "this should be in the Dublin forum" and nobody has posted pictures.

That's self abuse!

Not that I'm an expert or anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

masturbation is abuse now?!

masturbation is abuse now?!

Since when?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the thing that grift does more so then banksy is getting up to difficult places to paint, thats the impressive part, some taggers do that too, the huge one on the tall building at the old north strand bowling is great, I dont understand what people have an obsession with blanks walls.

people talk about it being illegal most billboards in town don't have planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Masturbation isn't allowed on this forum either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement