Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dudess wrote: »
    Masturbation isn't allowed on this forum either.

Damn.. and I was just about to come as well.

Dudess wrote: »
    Masturbation isn't allowed on this forum either.

And yet drunk posting is? Masturbation posting would be a lot more legible at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

masturbation is abuse now?!

you're clearly doing it wrong if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Whoa whoa I was merely responding to the previous post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't think much of that asbestos guy. He chopped up a few toy animals and stuck them back together and the dolls head thing is a load of pretentious shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

copeyhagen wrote: »

and just to close, grift afaik, NEVER paints on peoples private property.

He tagged my mates pub. He's an arsehole. So it's not "private" property. My mate still had to clean it off himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Grift just looks like he is practising his letters all over Dublin. I didn't realise he was taken seriously by anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Badu

WindSock wrote: »
    I don't think much of that asbestos guy. He chopped up a few toy animals and stuck them back together and the dolls head thing is a load of pretentious shite.

Take a look at the other stuff on his site...if he is not for you then fair enough but tis worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

He tagged my mates pub. He's an arsehole. So it's not "private" property. My mate still had to clean it off himself.
    im sorry but i find that hard to believe as he goes out of his way to avoid painting peoples private property (considering hes considered a vandal).

maybe he did when he was younger.

and i agree some of the places he (and others) climb to paint are ridiculous. in particular the rooftops around town.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

copeyhagen wrote: »
    im sorry but i find that hard to believe as he goes out of his way to avoid painting peoples private property (considering hes considered a vandal).

maybe he did when he was younger.

and i agree some of the places he (and others) climb to paint are ridiculous. in particular the rooftops around town.

Oh yeah?So when the ego-driven prick is planning to spray paint his name on a wall he checks with the land registry first to make sure it doesnt belong to anybody?He's a clown,he has no talent and seems to think that people want to see his rubbish painted everywhere.He's no better than a scrubber in a tracksuit writing her initials on a bus shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

hahaha calm down there. this thread is getting way too ot with the whole grift thing. as i already stated some people like it some dont, its an aquired taste.

personally, i would rather see a tonne of his pieces instead of a tonne of blank dull walls on the dart on my way to work.

some of his stuff is amazing but thats my own opinion.

and as im sure has been posted here a million times "opinions are like arseholes blablabla..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Fieldog wrote: »
    Where should he put it?
    He is a she!:)Look at my avater people!What bloke would have a girly fox with a pink veil as his avater!!

Degsy wrote: »
    Oh yeah?So when the ego-driven prick is planning to spray paint his name on a wall he checks with the land registry first to make sure it doesnt belong to anybody?He's a clown,he has no talent and seems to think that people want to see his rubbish painted everywhere.He's no better than a scrubber in a tracksuit writing her initials on a bus shelter.

Yes how dare someone put something creative and interesting on a bus shelter!Bus shelters really do add so much natural beauty to the streets of Dublin.There so beautiful,the cheek of someone to draw something innovative,colourful,intresting artwork...... in a public place...... for all to enjoy....the cheek!!
    bus_shelters004.jpg
    So beeaaaauuutifullll!
    Bus Shelters are much better when they are left as the goverment intended and have just adverts by the same multinationals in them so we can all get brainwashed into buying stuff we dont need. I love seeing images like this fullZZZZZZPRW060414223705PIC.jpgwhen Im waiting for the bus cos staring at that model for ten minutes makes me feel really good about myself. I know If I buy that lancome product Il look just like the model in the picture and that really boosts my self esteem.
    Down with colourful,stimulating ,original pieces of great visual art in public places! The guards are right to arrest these people and scrub away their hard work and protect the right of the Irish people to have monotonus adverts inflicted on us everywhere else.

panda100 wrote: »
    He is a she!:)Look at my avater people!What bloke would have a girly fox with a pink veil as his avater!!

Yes how dare someone put something creative and interesting on a bus shelter!Bus shelters really do add so much natural beauty to the streets of Dublin.There so beautiful,the cheek of someone to draw something innovative,colourful,intresting artwork...... in a public place...... for all to enjoy....the cheek!!
    bus_shelters004.jpg
    So beeaaaauuutifullll!
    Bus Shelters are much better when they are left as the goverment intended and have just adverts by the same multinationals in them so we can all get brainwashed into buying stuff we dont need. I love seeing images like thisfullZZZZZZPRW060414223705PIC.jpg when Im waiting for the bus cos staring at that model for ten minutes makes me feel really good about myself. I know If I buy that lancome product Il look just like the model in the picture and that really boosts my self esteem.
    Down with colourful,stimulating ,original pieces of great visual art in public places! The guards are right to arrest these people and scrub away their hard work and protect the right of the Irish people to have monotonus adverts inflicted on us everywhere else.

Advertisers pay to advertise.They're also providing a service.**** writing on walls and bus helters are costing the taxpayer money tohave thier crap removed.If you think "anto luvs julei 4 eva-mates" is brightening things up you need to get out more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

**** writing on walls and bus helters are costing the taxpayer money tohave thier crap removed.If you think "anto luvs julei 4 eva-mates" is brightening things up you need to get out more often.

No mate you have it all wrong. Your not comparing like with like.
    http://smith.typepad.com/radley/pictures/wrong_war-thumb.JPG

I agree there's a lot of knobs out there just going round tagging. But I'd much sooner see the above then a ad for Vodafone.

Your just focusing on the lowest element of graffiti. The difference between the work Banksy, Asbestos and some tool living down the road from you. Who likes to tag every bare wall they can, is pretty vast. It's almost like compaing someone like John Milton to Celicia Ahern. Or saying that all books must be ****e because you read one once by Marian Keys

starn wrote: »
    No mate you have it all wrong. Your not comparing like with like.
    http://smith.typepad.com/radley/pictures/wrong_war-thumb.JPG

I agree there's a lot of knobs out there just going round tagging. But I'd much sooner see the above then a ad for Vodafone.

Your just focusing on the lowest element of graffiti. The difference between the work Banksy, Asbestos and some tool living down the road from you. Who likes to tag every bare wall they can, is pretty vast. It's almost like compaing someone like John Milton to Celicia Ahern. Or saying that all books must be ****e because you read one once by Marian Keys

No,i'm saying that i dont want to see thier rubbish everywhere i look.If i want a book i'll go out and buy one,i dont expect people writing chapters on walls so why should thier "art" be forced on me?Do they "tag" the outside of thier mother's house?Do they,****..bunch of clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

No proper respected writers write on private property . They Use council walls , and public spots , the people who write on private property are not considered as proper writers ,
    haha grift has no talent? Chances are hes better than you , Grift Has full colour proper works of art , just because you dont see them doesnt mean they arent there , grift has better climbing skills too ;)

Your not listening to me mate. I hate the little cretins who go around tagging every bus shelter and post box, they can.

People like Banksy and Asbestos are Artists.

Think of it the difference between something like Paradice Lost and Ps I love you

Or say a film by Kubrick and one by the Wayne brothers.

Its obvious in that the first case in each of these instances has artistic merit. While the latter "The cinematic equivalent of tertiary syphilis"

Banksy and Asbestos are Artists, taggers are not

nannou4 wrote: »
    No proper respected writers write on private property . They Use council walls , and public spots , the people who write on private property are not considered as proper writers ,
    haha grift has no talent? Chances are hes better than you , Grift Has full colour proper works of art , just because you dont see them doesnt mean they arent there , grift has better climbing skills too ;)

Council walls?Public spots?These are areas that the public ie the taxpayer has access to,what makes the "respected writers" think people want to read thier crap everywhere?Do they ask people?The only effect these "works of art" have on an area is to make them look like ghettos.Do you have grift's address?I'd quite like to write something on the wall of his house.

Council walls?Public spots?These are areas that the public ie the taxpayer has access to,what makes the "respected writers" think people want to read thier crap everywhere?Do they ask people?The only effect these "works of art" have on an area is to make them look like ghettos.Do you have grift's address?I'd quite like to write something on the wall of his house.

Better something like this

http://weblog.evasee.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/BANKSY%20AGAIN.jpg

Then big dirty billboards everywhere.

Your not listening to me mate. I hate the little cretins who go around tagging every bus shelter and post box, they can.

People like Banksy and Asbestos are Artists.

Think of it the difference between something like Paradice Lost and Ps I love you

Or say a film by Kubrick and one by the Wayne brothers.

Its obvious in that the first case in each of these instances has artistic merit. While the latter "The cinematic equivalent of tertiary syphilis"

Banksy and Asbestos are Artists, taggers are not

You keep comparing graffiti with films and books.In order to make a film or publish a book you need to go through various channels-publishers,screenwriters,directors etc.In short,books and films have to be wanted by somebody.The **** who write on walls may think they're the best thing since sliced bread but nobody asked them to do it.They're infliting what they consider to be art on people who didnt ask for it.To use your cinematic analogy,it would be like sitting outside somebody's house and filming them against thier will.There are a small bunch of halfwits who dont mind seeing areas defaced by other halfwits but the majority of people think it looks crap and brings an area down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 franklern

Just out of interest degsy who is that lad in your signature?

You keep comparing graffiti with films and books.In order to make a film or publish a book you need to go through various channels-publishers,screenwriters,directors etc.In short,books and films have to be wanted by somebody

Thats utter b0ll0x. Do you think Homer, Milton, Chaucer, Coldridge, Dickinson all had Harper Collins banging there doors down.

What I doing is comparing Bansky and the like with other artists, BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY ARE.

Your problem seems to be you have a bee in your bonnet about someone knob jockey living down the road from you, writing his name on your walls. Which I completely get.
    But your tarring everyone with the one brush.

On another note Ill try and get some pictures of the stuff on Pearse St tomorrow and put it up

Thats utter b0ll0x. Do you think Homer, Milton, Chaucer, Coldridge, Dickinson all had Harper Collins banging there doors down.

They had to seek patronage from somebody or they would nevr have got published.They didnt go round writing on people's walls did they?Do these "artist" friends of yours graffiti thier own property?

Are you saying that Graffiti has no artistic value whats so ever, or is it just that fact that someone tagged your front wall and your pissed about it. Because if your just pissed about someone tagging your house thats fine, and I can absolutly understand that.No if on the other hand you dont think it has any artistic merit thats a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I agree, certain types of graffiti=art by a person that is highly skilled in using a spraycan, and tags=vandalism by some bumfluffed little baboon, the equivalant of a dog pissing to mark their territory.
    The best way to beat the little shitbags is to slap some paint on a tag as soon as you see it. They only do it for some pathetic piece of recognition among their peers, so if you keep painting over it, they will soon get bored.

WindSock wrote: »
    I agree, certain types of graffiti=art by a person that is highly skilled in using a spraycan, and tags=vandalism by some bumfluffed little baboon, the equivalant of a dog pissing to mark their territory.
    The best way to beat the little shitbags is to slap some paint on a tag as soon as you see it. They only do it for some pathetic piece of recognition among their peers, so if you keep painting over it, they will soon get bored.

Or graffiti thier houses.If i knew where that fool grift lived i'd wreck his gaff with paint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Down with colourful,stimulating ,original pieces of great visual art in public places!

If you're talking about morons like Grift then:

Colourful - No.
    Stimulating - No.
    Original - Ha, no.
    Great - No.
    Art - God no.
    Public places - Yes, unfortunately.

Few things lower the tone of an area more comprehensively than the hasty scribblings of some backward child trying to prove themselves to their equally moronic peers.

"I wrote my name on the side of that building, I'm pretty sure that makes me cool".

Top marks you gimp.

chabsey wrote: »
    the hasty scribblings of some backward child trying to prove themselves to the equally moronic peers.
    chabsey wrote: »

Yes but thats not the type of graffiti we or at least I'm refering to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Lux23 wrote: »
    Its not him. Just a copycat type of artist, there were other stencils of women in a bikini tied up but they seem to have been scratched off the wall.
    This yoke? replaced with this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Was walking by Pearse street staion yesterday and couldnt help but notice a piece of art on the bridge that looked incredibly like banksy. (famous graffiti artist :http://www.banksy.co.uk/ )
    There was three large pictures of madeline mc canns face stencilled in an andy warhol type fashion,all differnet colours.Then there was a black and white typical banksy style drawing of a young girl.
    Its very unusal graffiti for Dublin.Just wondering has anyone else seen it and how long its been up there for?

Just your post - art?

• Advertisement

bus_shelters004.jpg
    So beeaaaauuutifullll!
    Bus Shelters are much better when they are left as the goverment intended and have just adverts by the same multinationals in them so we can all get brainwashed into buying stuff we dont need. I love seeing images like this fullZZZZZZPRW060414223705PIC.jpgwhen Im waiting for the bus cos staring at that model for ten minutes makes me feel really good about myself. I know If I buy that lancome product Il look just like the model in the picture and that really boosts my self esteem.

You're a cliché. Buzz off and die.

No,i'm saying that i dont want to see thier rubbish everywhere i look.If i want a book i'll go out and buy one,i dont expect people writing chapters on walls so why should thier "art" be forced on me?Do they "tag" the outside of thier mother's house?Do they,****..bunch of clowns.

They'll tell you 'it's different'.
    No way would the wankstains that do it do it near their own SUV ridden hellholes.
    The cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

actually, Banksy's work has caused the property prices in certain area's to go up so i'd say they don't mind at all.

Doodee wrote: »
    actually, Banksy's work has caused the property prices in certain area's to go up so i'd say they don't mind at all.

Actually, I'd like to see/read proof of that. Do you mind?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Anyone want to buy a Banksy im selling? Before I put it up on ebay loik. 3k to assure purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

delah wrote: »
    You're a cliché. Buzz off and die.
    delah: be civil to other users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It is art. Doesn't sound like Banksy.

People need to stop thinking about Art with the capital A. There is good art, there is bad art, there is art which you don't really give a **** because it doesn't stimulate you either way.

Oh, and Degsy, most artist's aren't waiting for someone to ask for their work. Banksy vs advertism is one of the most interesting factors of his work. Personally I would rather see a mirthful drawing than "Vodafone" on a wall.

Oh wait... Yeah, Grift sucks balls.

Kold wrote: »
    It is art. Doesn't sound like Banksy.

People need to stop thinking about Art with the capital A. There is good art, there is bad art, there is art which you don't really give a **** because it doesn't stimulate you either way.

Oh, and Degsy, most artist's aren't waiting for someone to ask for their work. Banksy vs advertism is one of the most interesting factors of his work. Personally I would rather see a mirthful drawing than "Vodafone" on a wall.

Vandalism isnt art.Vodafone pay for the advertising.Cnunts with spray cans are no better than fly-tippers and do nothing except ruin areas.

• Advertisement

Vodafone pay for their adverts, which in turn makes people buy **** that they don't actually need, which gives Vodafone more money to pour into marketing (propaganda). Most areas are ruined anyway. More power to the individual who has ideas which he can't afford, doesn't want to afford and just puts it up for people to see. Why try and keep those individuals down?
    Most grafitti is hackneyed and poor quality but that's the price you pay. Banksy is one of the most relevant artists of our time. His work is fantastic. But ofcourse he was gonna get a few unoriginal copycats who aren't really willing to put the craft in. You can't really blame him for that. Don't tar every piece of street art with the same brush. It's the same kind of ignorant statement as "All hip hop is crap" or "Modern art is all ridiculous, craftless ****".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Wow Degsy and Delah realy need to get out of their box!

Degsy have you ever actually opened your eyes to see what amount of crap is actually forced upon your eyes without you asking for it? Why would someone go and ask your permission for what they wanted to do? The aim for most of these people is to create something a little more colourful and inspiring and possibly make you think. I'm not talking about tagging either... but when you see a tag up on the roof or Jervis you sometimes wonder how they did that. And for the amount of abuse you are also throwing at people you should have been long banned! You think you're better than them yet you say how you would cover his house in paint if you knew where he lived. His motive - many reasons that may be far beyond your comprehension, your motive - vandalism and revenge.

This is an internet forum, and this is a topic about a piece of stencil work that was supposedly by a very well respected street artist. The topic was well open to people who were against it or for it. Art is a vague subject with many mediums. What some people consider art others don't. There is no need however to come across like your word is golden!

Also you mention about advertising being paid for, but if you lived in a house where you had to look out of your window every morning towards an ugly billboard you would quickly change your mind. Yes advertisers pay for it... do we ask for it? NO! Does it make it right that they inflict this crap on us without us wanting it? ....

Speaking about billboards and such, has anyone seen the ad for sky movies showing the city with no adverts up, emphasising that they dont show ads during movies?

Oh and degsy.. I advise you to go to an art exhibition sometime.. something like the ones around temple bar or such, modern abstract ones. Open your mind! Street art is not for everyone but you cannot deny that if this was moved indoors to an installation that it is not art. I would also suspect you of being a troll on this forum and the mod should see this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

degsy has planning permissioned the correct on this one. You want to share your street art with the world then buy a fecking sandwich board, paste your master piece onto it and wear it around town.

if any of this stuff was halfway interesting i would make exceptions but it aint. Ive seen those poxy maddy glue on jobs for the best part of a year now, they werent all that big and clever at first and they havent improved as time has gone on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

This yoke? replaced with this one

The first one doesnt show up but the second link is the pic Im talking about.Though I prefer the madeline mc cann ones.I think its fairly safe to say at this stage that its not a banksy. I think he's in Jerusalem painting walls at the mo anyways.

su_dios wrote: »

Speaking about billboards and such, has anyone seen the ad for sky movies showing the city with no adverts up, emphasising that they dont show ads during movies?
    This one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht9GNp94WOU&eurl=http://c-l-b.blogspot.com/2007/10/sky-movies-advert.html
    Slightly contradictory but thats a great ad.I think its Sao Paulo in Brazil which banned advertising earlier in the summer. It would be so refreshing to walk down the street without getting bombarded with useless ads all the time.The song is quite apt for the ad too.I think we're just living in such a message dense society that its difficult to just think for oursleves so overloaded is our cognitive system!

And degsy It shouldnt be a case of whoever has enough money gets to do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

On the topic of Banksy in Dublin - there is/was a 'this is not a photo opportunity' stencil in Temple Bar. That'd be pretty easy to recreate though.

the dee wrote: »
    On the topic of Banksy in Dublin - there is/was a 'this is not a photo opportunity' stencil in Temple Bar. That'd be pretty easy to recreate though.

Course it would.Whats difficult about cutting a stencil and spraypainting over it?These people think they're being arty but they're really about as clever as the person drawing penises on election posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think its Sao Paulo in Brazil which banned advertising earlier in the summer.

oh god, yes Ted

how do we go about getting that done in dublin then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Course it would.Whats difficult about cutting a stencil and spraypainting over it?These people think they're being arty but they're really about as clever as the person drawing penises on election posters.

All I was saying was that maybe he had been to Dublin. No need to react like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭.:Who:.

Was walking by Pearse street staion yesterday and couldnt help but notice a piece of art on the bridge that looked incredibly like banksy. (famous graffiti artist :http://www.banksy.co.uk/ )
    There was three large pictures of madeline mc canns face stencilled in an andy warhol type fashion,all differnet colours.Then there was a black and white typical banksy style drawing of a young girl.
    Its very unusal graffiti for Dublin.Just wondering has anyone else seen it and how long its been up there for?

Yeah is seen it a few times,
    Dont think It is Bansky though,
    At first I thought it was....
    But who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

In order to make a film or publish a book you need to go through various channels-publishers,screenwriters,directors etc.
    What nonsense. Haven't you heard of independent films made on a shoe string budget or self publishing which by-passes a system which is concerned only with shifting as many units as possible?

I suppose you think tattoos are not art either? Next you will be attacking tattoo artists because they vandalize other peoples bodies.

Get with the times Degsy and stop being such a knee-jerk reactionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Vandalism isnt art.Vodafone pay for the advertising.Cnunts with spray cans are no better than fly-tippers and do nothing except ruin areas.
    So ****ing what if they pay for it, that doesn't make me or anybody else want it there any more. Just because they have paid those dodgy billboard companies doesn't mean they have went out on the street and asked people would they mind if they put an ad up telling people about the latest Vodafone rates. As someone mentioned earlier, some of those billboards don't have planning permission, and if you attempted to reject it, i'm sure it would be built anyway. And there's more on the way too apparently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement