Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

dSTAR wrote: »
    Get with the times Degsy and stop being such a knee-jerk reactionary.

Degsy a knee jerk reactionary .... Never :D

I would much rather see art than billboards advertising the latest phone from Vodafone. Just because they pay for it doesn't make it any more appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

again most billboards around town don't ahve planning permission, theyre illegal as grift of course people like degsey don't give a **** if companies break the law.

again most billboards around town don't have planning permission, theyre illegal as grift of course people like degsey don't give a **** if companies break the law. in his world only criminals should be convicted

He tagged my mates pub. He's an arsehole. So it's not "private" property. My mate still had to clean it off himself.

di he do on the nice front of hte pub or on some dirty wall at the side?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What nonsense. Haven't you heard of independent films made on a shoe string budget or self publishing which by-passes a system which is concerned only with shifting as many units as possible?

I suppose you think tattoos are not art either? Next you will be attacking tattoo artists because they vandalize other peoples bodies.

Get with the times Degsy and stop being such a knee-jerk reactionary.

What the **** have tatoos got to do with anything?You get tatoos on yourself not on other people.As i said before,if these people think they're being so artistic they should garffiti thier own houses and leave the public areas alone.For people who are so sure of the value of thier "art" it makes you wonder why they have to do it in the dead of night,sneaking around like burglars.Scum,the lot of 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I love the way Degsy is being so selective with the points he chooses to address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

again most billboards around town don't ahve planning permission, theyre illegal as grift of course people like degsey don't give a **** if companies break the law.

Why havent DCC taken any action against the advertising companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

starn wrote: »
    Why havent DCC taken any action against the advertising companies

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brenyes

Hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Lux23 wrote: »
    Its not him. Just a copycat type of artist, there were other stencils of women in a bikini tied up but they seem to have been scratched off the wall.
    THANK YOU!!!

I was a passenger in the car with my mate a good while ago and we drove down one of those roads that connects onto Pearse St and goes under the bridge and swore I saw a picture of a woman in a bikini painted to look like she was tied to the pillar.

Went past it again recently and it was gone, no-one believed me cos I'd had a few drinks when I saw it and it was dark. Thought I was imagining things...

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    I love the way Degsy is being so selective with the points he chooses to address

I thought the points would've been pretty obvious by now.People inflicting what they consider to be art on everybody else via graffiti of public and private property is not a good thing,it elliminates the element of choice from the equation.If i want to view art i'll either go to an art gallery or buy a picture i like.If i want to produce art i'll paint a picture,start an exhibition or whore myself out on the arty-farty scene.What i will not do however is glue a cut-out of maddie mccann to a pillar in pearse st,spray paint my name all over town or deface buildings that cost thousands to have cleaned.Is it art?It doesnt matter,nobody asked for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Still no pictures no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I throw rubbish on the ground. I see it as an artistic statement. Fúck you if you disagree.

Terry wrote: »
    I throw rubbish on the ground. I see it as an artistic statement. Fúck you if you disagree.

I'm gonna write my name in shiit all over grift's house,its art,i'm sure he'll agree.

Degsy wrote: »
    I thought the points would've been pretty obvious by now.People inflicting what they consider to be art on everybody else via graffiti of public and private property is not a good thing,it elliminates the element of choice from the equation.If i want to view art i'll either go to an art gallery or buy a picture i like.If i want to produce art i'll paint a picture,start an exhibition or whore myself out on the arty-farty scene.What i will not do however is glue a cut-out of maddie mccann to a pillar in pearse st,spray paint my name all over town or deface buildings that cost thousands to have cleaned.Is it art?It doesnt matter,nobody asked for it.

The element of choice? The average person is exposed to over 100,000 advertising messages a year. Do we choose to be bombarded in this fashion? It's impossible to exist in modern society without being treated as an advertisement target hundreds of times a day. Where is the choice in this? Just because Vodafone have paid for (paid for, because it is deemed profitable and will make people more likely to buy their phones) a 30ftx20ft invasion of public space, and Grift, Banksy or anyone else hasn't, doesn't mean Vodafone is any more honourable. You seem to think that as long as you can stick a dollar sign on our public space, it's ok to do whatever you want with it. Graffiti is not trying to sell you anything. Often the writer puts out pieces to inflate their ego and gain street cred, but imo it doesn't matter what the reasons are. It is the wider statement of graffiti that is most important, that public space is just that...public.

It is the wider statement of graffiti that is most important, that public space is just that...public.

And "public" in this sense means "free to be defaced by a wanker with a can of spray paint"?Why then do the vast majority of people not want it done to thier public areas,hence the huge cost of removal?Why not shiit,piss and dump your rubbish in public too?

Ok Degsy. Correct me if Im wrong with any of this. But basically you pissed of cause someone you sprayed your, or someone you knows walls. Ok

You have no problem with a company or private individual hire a buildboard and plastering some horrible adverrt all over it. Yes

Now what Id like to ask you. Is would you mind graffiti so much IF Banksy, Asbestos and the rest. Illigally put up hoarings, just like your friend the advitisers and sprayed on them.

Would have a problem with graffiti or outdoor art then.

I'm gonna write my name in shiit all over grift's house,its art,i'm sure he'll agree.
    Nice.
    I find excrement to be extremely artistic and the statement it makes really speaks to me as a member of the autistic artistic community.
    I'd like to give you the chance to hold an exhibition of your work.

And "public" in this sense means "free to be defaced by a wanker with a can of spray paint"?Why then do the vast majority of people not want it done to thier public areas,hence the huge cost of removal?Why not shiit,piss and dump your rubbish in public too?

It's not free to be defaced...it IS illegal. People generally DON'T like it. But it is public space nonetheless. It should and does belong to the public. You seem to be happy and quite content to have large corporations who are only interested in your cash control the space around you. That's fine, maybe you just love being sold sh!t.

• Advertisement

It's not free to be defaced...it IS illegal. People generally DON'T like it. But it is public space nonetheless. It should and does belong to the public. You seem to be happy and quite content to have large corporations who are only interested in your cash control the space around you. That's fine, maybe you just love being sold sh!t.

I could never understand people fasiation with Times sq and Picadilly Circus. Sky scrapper sized billboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lol @ all the rad kids trying to use advertising and fighting the powa as an excuse for vandalism.

the issue has nothing to with advertising hoardings as much as you might like to hope it has, "but look what they're doing" doesnt give you the right to the same thing. Jimmy spraycan doesnt have the right to decide that public spaces are there for him to share his deepest artistic statements with the world, thanks all the same. joe public has enough shoite foisted on him by the powers that be in this area without freelancers chipping in

Ok Degsy. Correct me if Im wrong with any of this. But basically you pissed of cause someone you sprayed your, or someone you knows walls. Ok

You have no problem with a company or private individual hire a buildboard and plastering some horrible adverrt all over it. Yes

Now what Id like to ask you. Is would you mind graffiti so much IF Banksy, Asbestos and the rest. Illigally put up hoarings, just like your friend the advitisers and sprayed on them.

Would have a problem with graffiti or outdoor art then.

You stopped making sense ages ago.As i've said..i dont mind advertising a)its been paid for and b)its transitory..the same ad wont be there forever.Advertising is acceptable.Some asshole spraypainting on a wall a)hasnt been paid for and b)is likely to be there forever unless teh taxpayer pays to have it removed.Again i ask the question..if its art and not vandalism,why do the practitioners do it at night rather than in broad daylight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ok, buggered if I can be arsed going back 7 pages, so apologies if this has already been covered....

I like graffiti - nothing like a bit of coloured brickwork to brighten up the rainy grey LUAS trip on the in. Just because Starbucks/McD's have paid to have there name in billboards doesn't mean **** - we all know that if you over any given council enough money, they'll let you write whatever you like wherever you like.

Starn - PLEASE learn English. And stop. Putting, punctuation! randomly; where you like^^^

Bambi - you gotta fight the power! This is a free country (isn't it?). Or should we just bow down and accept everything we're told? All hail King Bertie! Ignore all the evidence of your eyes and your ears....

Terry - Everyone wants to live in a nice clean, uncluttered environment.
    So no one throws rubbish on the ground. Just like no one drives excessively and we all wnat our nice green view of Tara uncluttered and peaceful.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

to answer the original question...

as far as I know (and I could be wrong), the pics of maddie mccann under were done by a female NCAD student. My girlfriend is in her final year there and spotted it as the work of a friend of hers passing it one night. She knows the asbestos guy too, also was/is in NCAD.

could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I'm a big Banksy fan, if you don't consider his form of spraypainting art then you obviously missed out on the whole pop-art thing too, or any other form of conceptualism
    It's personal choice at the end of the day

I thought I saw something Banksy-esque just off south William street in town
    anyone else see it? it's on the same street as the corner of Gloria Jeans at the side of the powerscourt centre.

There is Banksy work up in 4 Dame Lane every other week with "A New Space"
    so I'm assuming he'd be over here every so often so its not that mad that he would do some stuff here

And yes, most Irish films at the moment are made on no-budget
    mainly because the Irish Film Board are very selective about what projects they back, and getting funding for films in Ireland is very difficult

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

When I hear the word culture, I reach for my Browning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Bambi wrote: »
    lol @ all the rad kids trying to use advertising and fighting the powa as an excuse for vandalism.

the issue has nothing to with advertising hoardings as much as you might like to hope it has, "but look what they're doing" doesnt give you the right to the same thing. Jimmy spraycan doesnt have the right to decide that public spaces are there for him to share his deepest artistic statements with the world, thanks all the same. joe public has enough shoite foisted on him by the powers that be in this area without freelancers chipping in
    Rad? ffs.

Well the issue is something to be considered imo, it highlights a double standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

What the **** have tatoos got to do with anything?.
    But then ..
    Why not shiit,piss and dump your rubbish in public too?
    Pot .. Kettle, Degsy? You are proving yourself to be a typical right wing reactionary with a very limited view of society. Get this .. man has been writing on walls and modifying their bodies since the beginning of time. Your small minded view is not going to change that reality. Give up and go back to your boring suburban existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Your small minded view is not going to change that reality. Give up and go back to your boring suburban existence.
    This stuff is priceless:D You guys sound like 15 year olds who've just read the first chapter of No Logo or something...:rolleyes: Stick it to the man!

Some retard defacing public property isn't art...Banky's juvenile crap has about as much political depth as a Green Day album. It's 'art' for the same idiots who think the Spice Girls is 'music'...

But then ..

Pot .. Kettle, Degsy? You are proving yourself to be a typical right wing reactionary with a very limited view of society. Get this .. man has been writing on walls and modifying their bodies since the beginning of time. Your small minded view is not going to change that reality. Give up and go back to your boring suburban existence.

Sorry,Mr Cool-Dude,but i must pull you up on something.All property belongs to somebody.If its painted on without the consent of the owner its considered vandalism.Not only that it looks poxy.You and a few others are trying to sound cool and "with-it" by spouting on this subject but you'd soon change your tune if these assholes targeted your mummy's house with thier "artwork".When you get a bit older and if you ever get your foot on the property ladder you'll certainly think differently if some clown defaces your property or property in your area with thier juvenile crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

All property belongs to somebody...
    Interesting comment and one which I am sure will send this discussion into a completely different trajectory.

Some questions ..

Who exactly owns public property?

Why is public property constantly being defaced by advertisements?

Why is public space being constantly eroded/encroached upon in the form of CCTV cameras thus no longer making it public space?

Property is theft
    Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Interesting comment and one which I am sure will send this discussion into a completely different trajectory.

Some questions ..

Who exactly owns public property?

Why is public property constantly being defaced by advertisements?

Why is public space being constantly eroded/encroached upon in the form of CCTV cameras thus no longer making it public space?

Property is theft
    Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

CCTV is there to protect the public from criminal acts that can be perpetrated in public areas.If you dont see that you really must be a bit of a thicko.Property is theft is it?I assume you dont own any property or you wouldnt say anything so bloody ridiculous,i assume your parents do?When you were being brought up did they leave the front door open so other people could come and go as they please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

Google Banksy!
    The amount of articles on Banksy is incredible!
    Nearly every single one of them hailing him as an artist comparing him to artists such as Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol
    Banksy t-shirt sites, Banksy in news all over the world etc etc...
    Banksy is an artist, there is a strong difference between graffiti art and tagging
    Some retard defacing public property isn't art...Banky's juvenile crap has about as much political depth as a Green Day album. It's 'art' for the same idiots who think the Spice Girls is 'music'...

Have a look at this article
    Banksy is renound for tackling political ideals, and social commentary through his work
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article2988367.ece

A quote from Banksy that I love
    "If you have a statue in the city center you could go past it every day on your way to school and never even notice it, right. But as soon as someone puts a traffic cone on its head, you've made your own sculpture.
    —Banksy, in The Independent"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Your defiling my internets with your stupidity, vandelous cretíns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

7 pages and no pic, this is gay. Well i'm going back to reading my banksy book, hmm... where ever did i leave my grift hardback? ;)

I've really had enough of this Degsey. I think your either a Troll or a Cretin. Either way I suspect you were concived with a weak sperm. So I forgive you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've really had enough of this Degsey. I think your either a Troll or a Cretin. Either way I suspect you were concived with a weak sperm. So I forgive you

Banned.

Degsy: tone it down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's quite simple really. Sometimes art will not cater for the lowest common denominators. It's simply ignorance to tar a whole medium with the same brush. Degsy, Bambi, be as sarcastic as you so please, your rants show you to be stubborn and really quite uncultured on the subject of art although I suppose it is quite interesting to see your viewpoint, "F*ck the relevance, everyone needs to fall the f*ck in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Is there any actual pic of the grafitti in question for the people who dont actually live in dublin?...

Kold wrote: »
    It's quite simple really. Sometimes art will not cater for the lowest common denominators. It's simply ignorance to tar a whole medium with the same brush. Degsy, Bambi, be as sarcastic as you so please, your rants show you to be stubborn and really quite uncultured on the subject of art although I suppose it is quite interesting to see your viewpoint, "F*ck the relevance, everyone needs to fall the f*ck in".
    Would you mind if I spray painted my name on the front of your house?
    After all, it's art, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Terry the Bollox was here.

P.s. I took a **** in your roses.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cellulite_sally

^^ I lold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

still no pics?

come on lads, somebody must own a working camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

If I remember I'll run out with my camera in the morning and get a few shots. There's another 2 stencils on my walk to work that could be the same guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 albino-pond-wee

Took this pic today,had to find it after all the talk about it,lol.There is 3 pictures but i only took one of them.

DSC00236.jpg

This is a stupid point of view. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it irrelevant. How many important pieces of literature, paintings, cultural statements and scientific viewpoints have been banned due to upsetting laws and conventions throughout history?

This is a stupid point of view. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it irrelevant. How many important pieces of literature, paintings, cultural statements and scientific viewpoints have been banned due to upsetting laws and conventions throughout history?
    Ilegal is irrelevant, you say/

How about you show up at my house (I'm too lazy to go anywhere) and I beat you to death with your own shoes?
    I'll call it 'man beaten to death with own shoes.'

It's illegal and stuff, but I'll put an artistic name on it and then it will be cool.

Ok, that's a bit extreme and will never happen (only because I'm a pussy), but we could try something else.
    How about I spray paint my name on your back?
    I'll call it 'rebel gets a taste of his own medicine'.

Maybe I'll tag the wall at the front of your suburban semi.
    I'll call it 'I was bored and decided to deface the front wall of someone's house'.

Putting an artistic name on vandalism kicks ass.

Edit: I'll make sure it's a nice piece of work and I hope your parents don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Took this pic today,had to find it after all the talk about it,lol.There is 3 pictures but i only took one of them.

DSC00236.jpg

Thaks for the Pic. Where abouts by the bridge is it? On the Trinity side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Femmy wrote: »
    Is there any actual pic of the grafitti in question for the people who dont actually live in dublin?...
    There are people living outside of Dublin? What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

No, that's not art. I don't think you fully understand what art is if you think that it would be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement