Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

nannou4 wrote: »
    That Art is dead.
    Who wants to look at boring pictures of trees..

Modern And Street Art Is Fresh , Daring , Challenging and far more intresting..

All of it?It spans 500 years and some clown with a spray can shiits all over it does he?
    Here's a Goya
    http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/admin/tour/17720/177201808
    And Banksy
    http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/07a_31_banksy_415x638.jpg

Can you guess which one makes a bigger statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

the tivoli wrote: »
    A piece of stencil graffiti bearing Banksy's signature logo has appeared on a wall in The Tivoli's car park.

Possibly something to do with the This is Not a Shop down on Benburb Street - at the moment they have that Banksy on their shutters with FAKE written on it and (I think) 'This Is Not A Banksy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

there was a graffiti jam at the tivoli theatre and he was probably there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Degsy wrote: »
    All of it?It spans 500 years and some clown with a spray can shiits all over it does he?
    Here's a Goya
    http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/admin/tour/17720/177201808
    And Banksy
    http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/07a_31_banksy_415x638.jpg

Can you guess which one makes a bigger statement?

In fairness Degsy, subject matter is exactly that....subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dragan wrote: »

The original comment made was: "That [400+ year old] art is dead". That, tol me, is a statement and is incorrect. If he doesn't like it, then yes - subjectivity comes into it - but he went beyond meerly disliking it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

copeyhagen wrote: »
    there was a graffiti jam at the tivoli theatre and he was probably there.

Doubt it. Why would he just do one of his old pieces again?

He said:
    "That Art is dead.
    Who wants to look at boring pictures of trees..
    Modern And Street Art Is Fresh , Daring , Challenging and far more intresting.."

I presume "that" meant the stuff in the national gallery.He wasnt talking about subject matter,he was dismissing generations of styles,artists,genres and movements because he thinks its boring compared to the shiite people spray on walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

copeyhagen wrote: »
    and to that twat slagging off grift. that guy has got some serious art skills. have u seen the giant grift icn chrome piece before connolly station coming from the northside? that took some serious skill to do..over a few nights..in the dark.

I'm not sure about your knowledge on spray painting, but that ICN piece (and all his others), are not very skillful pieces. Spray painting freehand is surprisingly easy, especially once you get the jist of it. Also, he would've done it in one sitting.. It wouldn't take a few nights to produce his trash. Quick and easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the tivoli

The piece in The Tivoli car park is a fake. It's signed BANSKY. We've been duped. Must have something to do with the This Is Not A Shop fake which I hear was not endorsed by the gallery.

I dont see the point in faking a Banksy. Its not even a pastiche. Although it had us all fooled here.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone else notice that one of the English rags claims to have discovered his identity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Personally I hope they never find out who he is. If they do the police will more than likely stop him from spraying anymore and all we will have then is cheap imitators and fading existing pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I do lots of grafitti, mainly pictures, but messages too sometimes. I'm not very talented at all but I don't let that stop me because I consider it my right. This is a very interesting thread, and I can see both side's pov. But I'm still all for graffiti anywhere. Even those taggers like me with no talent at all who just scrawl across a wall, collectively we're all important. Because where a law that divides people's opinions (such as one stopping the right to paint messages in public space) is in existence, it is the level of the resistance and the reaction to that resistance among the public that shows if it is truly in society's best interests.

The question isn't: is it art? It's: Is it a statement? And it is. It's a sign that many people disagree with the dictate that all walls should be unimaginative monochromes or rented out to a sea of soul-destroying ads, and that enough actively disagree to make it impossible to surpress. You can only justly surpress something if there is enough public outrage for society to wish to devote enough resources to do so, and the fact that the public has no appetite for huge amounts of their tax to go to stopping graffiti shows that the will of the people has spoken. That's where all these comparisons to ****ting on people's doorsteps falls down, if there was a dedicated group of people consistently doing that the public would willingly devote resources to stop it happening. That's how we'd know it was unacceptable. But the relatively unopposed enduring resistance to anti-grafitti laws, even if you disagree with it personally, shows that this law is not clearly in society's best interests, and it angers me when the government try to tell it like it's a given that grafitti artists are anti-social scumbags when there's clear evidence that this is a contentious law.

I'm not stupid enough to think that every tagger is motivated by high minded ideals of freedom of expression in our public spaces, but even the ones who do it purely for egotism or out of boredom contribute to a very important general movement which lays the groundwork for the great works of defiance like Banksy's. The volume of their work keeps the flame of resistance burning constantly and stops the government slowly brainwashing the people into thinking that the public space is not their own. But that is our space, and everyone deserves the chance to put what they want to say there. Of course, this is far too close to activism for any government in a complacent western country to countenance. Why do you think it is that grafitting is always portrayed as synonymous with chavs and hoodies, when this is not the case at all? Because they want to play on our standards of decency and make us think graffiti art is not the actions of a reasonable person. They want to make us think graffiti is a distasteful thing which we must be protected from. They want to taint our every view of graffiti by making us think of lowlives and violence at the same time. But it won't be stopped, and we will keep a high volume of low level resistance in progress so as to nourish the culture of accepting graffiti, even in it's most inarticulate state, so that when people like Banksy come along their work can explode into public consciousness. Say there was no grafitti culture at all in the British Isles, would Banksy have been able to a) conceive his work, b) execute it and c)would the public have accepted it to the overwhelming degree they have? No, I honestly think not. So his triumph is our triumph too, and quite apart from the issues brought up by the subject of Banksy's works, his work is also important as the figurehead of a fight for one of our most important civil liberties.

To arms, brothers and sisters!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I do lots of grafitti, mainly pictures, but messages too sometimes. I'm not very talented at all but I don't let that stop me because I consider it my right. This is a very interesting thread, and I can see both side's pov. But I'm still all for graffiti anywhere. Even those taggers like me with no talent at all who just scrawl across a wall, collectively we're all important. Because where a law that divides people's opinions (such as one stopping the right to paint messages in public space) is in existence, it is the level of the resistance and the reaction to that resistance among the public that shows if it is truly in society's best interests.

errrrrr.
    That is all.

The question isn't: is it art? It's: Is it a statement? And it is. It's a sign that many people disagree with the dictate that all walls should be unimaginative monochromes or rented out to a sea of soul-destroying ads, and that enough actively disagree to make it impossible to surpress. You can only justly surpress something if there is enough public outrage for society to wish to devote enough resources to do so, and the fact that the public has no appetite for huge amounts of their tax to go to stopping graffiti shows that the will of the people has spoken. That's where all these comparisons to ****ting on people's doorsteps falls down, if there was a dedicated group of people consistently doing that the public would willingly devote resources to stop it happening. That's how we'd know it was unacceptable. But the relatively unopposed enduring resistance to anti-grafitti laws, even if you disagree with it personally, shows that this law is not clearly in society's best interests, and it angers me when the government try to tell it like it's a given that grafitti artists are anti-social scumbags when there's clear evidence that this is a contentious law.

I'm not stupid enough to think that every tagger is motivated by high minded ideals of freedom of expression in our public spaces, but even the ones who do it purely for egotism or out of boredom contribute to a very important general movement which lays the groundwork for the great works of defiance like Banksy's. The volume of their work keeps the flame of resistance burning constantly and stops the government slowly brainwashing the people into thinking that the public space is not their own. But that is our space, and everyone deserves the chance to put what they want to say there. Of course, this is far too close to activism for any government in a complacent western country to countenance. Why do you think it is that grafitting is always portrayed as synonymous with chavs and hoodies, when this is not the case at all? Because they want to play on our standards of decency and make us think graffiti art is not the actions of a reasonable person. They want to make us think graffiti is a distasteful thing which we must be protected from. They want to taint our every view of graffiti by making us think of lowlives and violence at the same time. But it won't be stopped, and we will keep a high volume of low level resistance in progress so as to nourish the culture of accepting graffiti, even in it's most inarticulate state, so that when people like Banksy come along their work can explode into public consciousness. Say there was no grafitti culture at all in the British Isles, would Banksy have been able to a) conceive his work, b) execute it and c)would the public have accepted it to the overwhelming degree they have? No, I honestly think not. So his triumph is our triumph too, and quite apart from the issues brought up by the subject of Banksy's works, his work is also important as the figurehead of a fight for one of our most important civil liberties.

Everything in here is wrong in so many ways. You have no "right" whatsoever to tag or do graffiti in public places. Folk like you annoy me because you have a consistently negative impact upon the scene for the people who go about things the RIGHT way and try and get other people on our side.

You really should stop trying to justify your breaking of the law and just admit that you are breaking it. You don't see yourself as an anti social scumbag but the simple fact is that there are FAR more people who would think that you shouldn't do what you are doing than those who think you should.

You are in the minority. Even the cleverer folk among the taggers and artists can see that now. We need to do it the right way, get agreed upon places that can be worked in so that people can practice there art in a safe envirnoment and maybe someday improve.

As long as people like you do what you are doing it's just going to hold us all back. I know i for one would be happier if you would just stick to painting the back wall of your own house. ;)

• Advertisement

You've got no "right" in the world to deface anything that doesnt belong to you with your piss-poor graffiting skills.Can i paint a giant penis on your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

You've got no "right" in the world to deface anything that doesnt belong to you with your piss-poor graffiting skills.Can i paint a giant penis on your house?
    Odds of him being a homeowner? I'll paint a giant penis on his face, that will get the message across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

load of nonsense

Just wanted to suggest you try guerilla gardening if you are looking for a way of making the world a better place.
    Its still somewhat illegal but if you are crap at it you don't hurt peoples eyes the way your graffiti does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I have to re-paint my garden wall every few months because scumba...I mean 'artists' scrawl their 'tags' all over it.

They're ALL anti-social lowlifes. End of.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I have to re-paint my garden wall every few months because scumba...I mean 'artists' scrawl their 'tags' all over it.

They're ALL anti-social lowlifes. End of.

At this is what pisses me off about a lot of these folk. They want respect for the art but have no respect for peoples property.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Everything in here is wrong in so many ways. You have no "right" whatsoever to tag or do graffiti in public places. Folk like you annoy me

Yeah we do, free world.

People like you annoy me. Bye ;)

Yeah we do, free world.

Come paint on my wall,the only thing you'll be getting for free is a trip in an ambulance.

Come paint on my wall,the only thing you'll be getting for free is a trip in an ambulance.
    Don't they charge twelve euros for the spin or something like that?

I guess its not a free world, after all.

Yeah we do, free world.

It's not a free world. Far from it. You exist in a society that you demand give you things but you are willing to give nothing back. Not even the respect that you demand from other people.

From someone with the same interests in the art and aspirations as you ( i imagine ) i have to say your childish attitude comes across as both sickening and pathetic and will do nothing but damage a scene that i would LOVE to see grow within Ireland.

You are more of a hindrence than a help to your fellow taggers, walking the lamp light street with hoods up and cans in pockets, placing yourself on some kind of imaginary fringe because "society won't meet your needs". This is because you go about having your needs satisfied in the wrong manner.

It's really that simple. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. If you really cared for the scene and your fellow artists you would do it the right way, but you will go the wrong way because it's actually easier.

Don't get me wrong, when i was 14/15 i was one of those kids in my home town. The difference is that i have grown up and matured and would rather give back to the scene that take away from it.

I doubt you have any real or valid points as to why you would deface the property of someone you don't know, other than placing on them some kind of imaginary stereotype. If you can offer some valid reasons as to why you should be allowed to do this then please post them. I would be very interested to read them.

All i will say is the reason people don't like the scene is because of the way a lot of people within it act....so maybe taking a look at yourself and being honest about it will be a good way to figure out how to fix the perception people have of taggers and street artists in the public eye.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

Odds of him being a homeowner? I'll paint a giant penis on his face, that will get the message across.

Lol, real scary stuff! Very mature dear. Pretty much what I expected. I respect your opinion if you disagree with me, but your unwillingness to engage with the content of my post doesn't reflect well on you I'm afraid. How about you try getting your point across by argument, you're clearly very opposed to my post so I'd be interested to consider your arguments. I don't want to antagonise people, am just putting my point across. I'm not a homeowner, no, but I'm only 19 so I don't consider myself a failure just yet. The snobbery implicit in your post pretty much sums up the conditioning I talked about in my post, your close-mindedness on this topic to this point is depressing but predictable.
    Dragan: Everything in here is wrong in so many ways. You have no "right" whatsoever to tag or do graffiti in public places. Folk like you annoy me because you have a consistently negative impact upon the scene for the people who go about things the RIGHT way and try and get other people on our side.

I do have the right, I gave it to myself by debating the issue and deciding upon it! If one allowed the law decide all their rights they would end up very deindividualised indeed! I consider all public space to belong to me and all society, to my mind this is a given. As such I'll continue to draw whenever and wherever I feel like it, because I think it's a terrible law.

I don't think enough people question their knee-jerk aversion to grafitti, and they should examine their prejudice to find its origins. I bet for a lot of people it's the association with violence, gangs and poverty that they really hate, but if graffiti wasn't illegal and all kinds of people were encouraged to express themselves through street art then these connotations would disappear. Graffiti and street art are the only tools we have to make the streets our own. If it were legal, within weeks people would be able to look upon walls in their area and see in the drawings and messages a neighbourhood full of life and community, we'd lose all these identikit brick wall ****hole suburbs and regain some identity, but this will never happen while it's illegal. It's the illegality that makes it seem such a tawdry act, if it were allowed thrive it would be beautiful!

I simply don't believe your softly softly approach could ever work, you can't coax such a long tightly held prejudice out of people's hands. I don't really think my defiance will work either, but I enjoy my "art" (yes it's so bad I hesitate to call it that too lol) and I can still have fun doing it with my mates with a clear conscience and continue to dream that someday things will change.

This issue is much bigger than graffiti, it's part of the fight against the isolation of community endemic in our society. This country is so cold, so many people feel like they don't belong. We need to make people feel comfortable and open and free when out in public. We need to stop people tiptoeing through this world like visitors and allow them to truly feel at home in their own public space, rather than just a face in a huge impersonal crowd.

To achieve this, having an environment where the messages we meet every day are our own, drawn by ourselves and full of creativity and humanity, is essential. If we could achieve this, we would no longer feel like such strangers, we would feel present and alive and real rather than just the silent, nervous passive consumers that the bombardment of CCTV, dull walls and ads make us think we should be. Public space should be a true forum and exhibition of our society. How can people surrender something so precious so easily? It's disgraceful, and if it was not imposed on us so masterfully slowly over the years all would agree with me.

So I don't agree that accepting the odd designated wall is sufficient for the cause, no. The message then is that the idea of space belonging to the people is a novelty, an amusement. Too much of a compromise and a falsity for me. I don't care if all I want is fanciful and impossible, that's no reason not to act by it, is it? I doubt I'll be able to make much impact on this matter in my life, but I'm having a great time trying, and it's a decision I'm so glad I made.

I do have the right, I gave it to myself by debating the issue and deciding upon it! If one allowed the law decide all their rights they would end up very deindividualised indeed! I consider all public space to belong to me and all society, to my mind this is a given. As such I'll continue to draw whenever and wherever I feel like it, because I think it's a terrible law.

You cannot grant yourself a right that impedes on the rights of others. That way is a slippery slope. If someone were to find you tagging there property can they give themselves the right to kick eight shades of **** out of you?

No, we all must operate within the boundaries of the law as best we can. You are not doing this and are showing more disrespect for society that the people you feel impose their will on you.
    I don't think enough people question their knee-jerk aversion to grafitti, and they should examine their prejudice to find its origins. I bet for a lot of people it's the association with violence, gangs and poverty that they really hate, but if graffiti wasn't illegal and all kinds of people were encouraged to express themselves through street art then these connotations would disappear. Graffiti and street art are the only tools we have to make the streets our own. If it were legal, within weeks people would be able to look upon walls in their area and see in the drawings and messages a neighbourhood full of life and community, we'd lose all these identikit brick wall ****hole suburbs and regain some identity, but this will never happen while it's illegal. It's the illegality that makes it seem such a tawdry act, if it were allowed thrive it would be beautiful!

And the only way to do make it legal in any capacity is to go about it the right way, press the right people to free up area's of our cities for this type of art. Not to skulk around and do it when no one is looking. The problem with the scene is that it is faceless. No one knows who anyone is. The artists are not people, they are just names....often badly scrawled across the homes and workplaces of people who have no need to see this kind of rubbish "art".
    I simply don't believe your softly softly approach could ever work, you can't coax such a long tightly held prejudice out of people's hands. I don't really think my defiance will work either, but I enjoy my "art" (yes it's so bad I hesitate to call it that too lol) and I can still have fun doing it with my mates with a clear conscience and continue to dream that someday things will change.

There is no prejudice. You just think there is because it suits your argument. To keep things local if you show someone a nice commissioned piece from the likes of Maser/Asbestos then the reaction will be positive the majority of the time. People will see and appreciate the art in it and especially like it because someone wanted it done. It was not forced on people in anyway.

The softly/softly approach has worked in Amsterdam, New York, London, Paris, Berlin....etc etc. Dozens and dozens of cities have allotted areas for artists to work and practice in, with rules about how long pieces can be left and who works where to ensure everyone can avail of the chance to make their pieces public and a legal setting. And it gives them a audience that WANTS to see the work.
    This issue is much bigger than graffiti, it's part of the fight against the isolation of community endemic in our society. This country is so cold, so many people feel like they don't belong. We need to make people feel comfortable and open and free when out in public. We need to stop people tiptoeing through this world like visitors and allow them to truly feel at home in their own public space, rather than just a face in a huge impersonal crowd.

Oh stop with the "isolation" argument. The majority of people in this country do not feel even remotely isolated. Your applying your own argument and feelings to the rest of society and assuming in your arrogance that you know what is best. I see the same arrogance in people who call others "Sheep" because of literature, music of film tastes. People like what they like. The majority of people don't like graffiti being sprayed in public places.
    To achieve this, having an environment where the messages we meet every day are our own, drawn by ourselves and full of creativity and humanity, is essential. If we could achieve this, we would no longer feel like such strangers, we would feel present and alive and real rather than just the silent, nervous passive consumers that the bombardment of CCTV, dull walls and ads make us think we should be. Public space should be a true forum and exhibition of our society. How can people surrender something so precious so easily? It's disgraceful, and if it was not imposed on us so masterfully slowly over the years all would agree with me.

So I don't agree that accepting the odd designated wall is sufficient for the cause, no. The message then is that the idea of space belonging to the people is a novelty, an amusement. Too much of a compromise and a falsity for me. I don't care if all I want is fanciful and impossible, that's no reason not to act by it, is it? I doubt I'll be able to make much impact on this matter in my life, but I'm having a great time trying, and it's a decision I'm so glad I made.

There is no "cause". If there was the people in the scene would have a much more positive impact on society by organising events to promote the art, by doing volunteer work within the community to right the wrongs they see, by being heavily active in causes and bringing them to the public eye.

This is not what happens. What happens is people indulge their own selfishness and ego spraying half assed "intelligent" messages about the places and laughing at how clever they are. You have no desire to improve society as a whole, only bend it to a way that suits you so you assume it suits everyone else.

It's pathetic to hide behind such reasons and arguments. You are not leading a revolution, your a mild hinderence to the people who have, for the most part, established there own happiness. How many of these folk have you talked to, who's opinion do you operate from? Your own, thats about it.

As i already said, all you guys do is make the scene take the same steps back as it occassionally does forward.

Oh voilence, a lovely way to speak to your fellow human, youll go far in life. (for the record, i have never painted on private property.. well not in a very long time ;) )
    It's not a free world. Far from it. You exist in a society that you demand give you things but you are willing to give nothing back. Not even the respect that you demand from other people.

it is a free world as far as i can see and there not a whole lot you can do to change it ;)

i give plenty back, i pay a lot of tax every two weeks my friend and also have respect for those who deserve it.

it is a free world as far as i can see and there not a whole lot you can do to change it ;)

i give plenty back, i pay a lot of tax every two weeks my friend and also have respect for those who deserve it.

As i said, you have a limited world view.

And stop the tax paying argument. Far more people pay tax than don't. It's a useless argument brought about by people who are reaching for straws to justify there behaviour.

"I pay tax" - it's like Godwins Law. Actually, we'll call it "the Rule of NL" - "when trying to justify unpopular behaviour the defence will always be that they pay their tax".

Sounds about right.

Very mature dear. Pretty much what I expected.
    Sufficient unto the day, the evil thereof...
    but I'm only 19 so I don't consider myself a failure just yet.
    Yes, you have plenty of time for that to sink in.
    I do have the right, I gave it to myself by debating the issue and deciding upon it!
    Okay let me put this in terms you can understand. Your right to swing your fist ends where my face starts. You don't give yourself "rights", rights are something inherent in everybody, and defacing public property isn't one of them. Read on for clarification on public property.
    If one allowed the law decide all their rights they would end up very deindividualised indeed!
    If you define yourself by the laws that you choose to follow or not, you have a very shabby idea of what an individual is.
    I consider all public space to belong to me and all society, to my mind this is a given. As such I'll continue to draw whenever and wherever I feel like it, because I think it's a terrible law.
    Okay, public spaces are given in trust to the government which was elected by the community, to care for these spaces in a manner considered most fitting by said community. It is not "owned" in any sense by individual members of the community, or sections of the community. You don't own a piece of the pavement, you don't own a piece of the buses. That responsibility and attendant rights of ownership are granted in trust to other organisations.
    we'd lose all these identikit brick wall ****hole suburbs and regain some identity,
    If you have a problem with the general layout of urban estates, and this is a valid point of view, you can take it up with the relevant planning authority. Get some friends together and get their friends together. With enough people, your councillor or TD will take action to shape the community in a manner that you think is fitting.

Of course, its harder to do that, with getting opinions and sharing ideas gathering concensus and all, than to splat paint lifted from the hardware store all over someone's property in some sort of juvenile fite da powah wet dream while bopping to xzibit.
    I can still have fun doing it with my mates with a clear conscience and continue to dream that someday things will change.
    Things change all the time, every single day in every single way. I'd lay off the MTV if I was you, the monolithic "grownups" society doesn't exist except in a marketing droid's message, which you have swallowed whole. Well done.
    This issue is much bigger than graffiti, it's part of the fight against the isolation of community endemic in our society.
    Its funny that, because the Economist has reckoned Ireland is very high if not the highest in terms of quality of life in the world, and factoring large in that is the sense of community that people have. Now maybe you know something the Economist doesn't, perhaps you should friend them in myspace. I'd go easy on the txt speak though.

Heres a little story for you: A man is sitting by the roadside, and up drives another man in a car. He says, "I was just in a town back there, and I didn't like it. The people were rude, abusive, cold and unfriendly. Whats the next town like?" The man sitting at the side of the road shrugs and says, "Well friend, its pretty much the same."

So up drives another car, and a man leans out and says "I was just in a town back there, and it was great. The people were friendly, warm and open. Whats the next town like?" The man sitting at the side of the road shrugs and says, "Well friend, its pretty much the same."
    This country is so cold, so many people feel like they don't belong.
    Isolation of teenage to young adults is a central theme in the marketing message being delivered by many "entertainment" groups these days. It helps because it makes them easier to sell to, a bit like lions will isolate weaker animals from the herd before eating them. They have it down to such an art that peers or viral messages actually do most of the work for them. Works, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Just checked out the photos there... they are actually really good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Street Art is a fact of city life and campaigning against it is pretty pointless. Grafitti has been around for well over a thousand years and ruling out facist zero tolerance rulings it'll be here for a good while more.

I think it's been put forward several times the code of ethics that say not to spray on personal property or buildings of architectural value. Just because some knackers don't adhere to this you don't need to tar the whole scene with the same brush.

I'd prefer to see a public place filled with free art than endless advertising.

Kold wrote: »
    Street Art is a fact of city life
    And yet the vast majority of city dwellers don't spray paint the walls. In fact its only a very tiny minority take that step and impose their views on the rest of us, against our will. Sounds like facism to me.

And yet the vast majority of city dwellers don't spray paint the walls. In fact its only a very tiny minority take that step and impose their views on the rest of us, against our will. Sounds like facism to me.

I'd say it sounds closer to Capitalism to me. But it predates both and really transcends political agenda so no, it's not facism. Sorry to scare you though.

I'd say it sounds closer to Capitalism to me. But it predates both and really transcends political agenda so no, it's not facism. Sorry to scare you though.
    Heh. If its not capitalism, its fascism, I see. Oh and your agenda transcends politics, in a glowing aura of shiny gaia goodness, drying all the tears of the orphans with its balmy light. Funny how all property is theft in the eyes of those without any.

Spare us the sophistry bullshit, already. Dressing it up in flowery terms and high sounding ideals doesn't make it so, no matter how much your favourite tunes might tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Beautition your posts are just so spot on and your insight into society is well beyond your 19 years.
    I always amuse myself walking around Dublin looking at all the differnt types of street art.Without It Dublin would be a soulless empty city, Its great when poeple bring their own creativity and ingenuity to the streets.

Oh and Banksy,Maser,Asbestos =fascists?? Lol

As i said, you have a limited world view.

is that intended to patronize me? youll have to do better than that :)

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh and Banksy,Maser,Asbestos =fascists?? Lol
    You're dead right. At least the fascists had the courage to use their real names.

Heh. If its not capitalism, its fascism, I see. Oh and your agenda transcends politics, in a glowing aura of shiny gaia goodness, drying all the tears of the orphans with its balmy light. Funny how all property is theft in the eyes of those without any.

Spare us the sophistry bullshit, already. Dressing it up in flowery terms and high sounding ideals doesn't make it so, no matter how much your favourite tunes might tell you otherwise.

What a bunch of waffle. I haven't told you anything about myself so in fairness, you're talking out of your arse. I've simply told you the facts. I haven't even said if I partake in it myself. You're the one who called it facism, I simply stated that it isn't (I probably didn't need to due to the sheer idiocy of the statement). Art should have no political agenda, that's propaganda. The mass produced posters everywhere is also propaganda. The ideals of street art encourage free thinking. Would you be so hostile towards a funded sculpture installed in a public place? Why is it only OK when money is being exchanged?
    You can't pick and choose what you see in life and street art reflects that.

You're dead right. At least the fascists had the courage to use their real names.

Your username is pretty apt.

• Advertisement

is that intended to patronize me? youll have to do better than that :)

Not at all. Most of us operate from a limited world view most of the time. It just seems that you cannot break out of yours and see how your actions might negatively impact

a) other people
    b) a scene that you claim to love.

I am very interested in debating this with you as i am hugely interested in the scene itself. It seems that you would rather resort to one lines and smilies rather than give actual reasons as to why you feel what you do is okay.

"it's a free world" is not a clever or thought out response, it's a knee jerk reaction and i think you have a lot more to say than that and i would like to hear it tbh.

The ideals of street art encourage free thinking.
    What, thinking thats its free to wreck other people's property without permission?
    Would you be so hostile towards a funded sculpture installed in a public place? Why is it only OK when money is being exchanged?
    The idea that you and the rest of these rebels without a clue seem to be missing is consensus. Thats what you get when the community gathers and makes up the rules and ideas that make life livable, and promote our culture.

The biggest hint is that its the community making these decisions, not a shower of self anointed robin hoodies whose real reasoning is that they want their mark, to be remembered, regardless of the cost to anyone else. Also of that same ilk are serial killers and those fools that flew into the twin towers.
    You can't pick and choose what you see in life and street art reflects that.
    No, street art reflects someone who doesn't have the courage to go through the same difficulties as everyone else, and instead opts to deface things that aren't their own. In any case, "thats just how it is" is a peculiar point of view for someone who wants to change things through art.

And your comment is about as original as most of your beloved street art. Nope, that one never gets old.

What, thinking thats its free to wreck other people's property without permission?

OK, Let's actually try reading some of the posts? I never said it was OK to wreck a persons personal property.

The idea that you and the rest of these rebels without a clue seem to be missing is consensus. Thats what you get when the community gathers and makes up the rules and ideas that make life livable, and promote our culture.

The biggest hint is that its the community making these decisions, not a shower of self anointed robin hoodies whose real reasoning is that they want their mark, to be remembered, regardless of the cost to anyone else. Also of that same ilk are serial killers and those fools that flew into the twin towers.

How much do you know about street art? Or art at all? The fact that you are unable to comprehend a street artist as being anything but an anarchist degenerate would suggest not a lot at all. Your view of society is pretty narrow minded.
    No, street art reflects someone who doesn't have the courage to go through the same difficulties as everyone else, and instead opts to deface things that aren't their own. In any case, "thats just how it is" is a peculiar point of view for someone who wants to change things through art.

It's been that way for quite a while and you're raging against the wind. Just because you personally see no merit in it, doesn't mean we should care at all what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Knock it off.

OK, Let's actually try reading some of the posts? I never said it was OK to wreck a persons personal property.
    Oho, so you think its okay to wreck public property, in the delusional world where you actually own a piece of it? You don't, as you would know if you had read the thread fully.
    The fact that you are unable to comprehend a street artist as being anything but an anarchist degenerate would suggest not a lot at all.
    Oh I never said anarchist degenerates, I appoint them no such laurels. Cowardly, immature, self centred attention seekers looking to be remembered as if their legacy was worth anything, regardless of the cost to anyone else, now that would more fit the profile.
    Your view of society is pretty narrow minded.
    By all means, feel free to broaden my mind on the matter.
    Just because you personally see no merit in it, doesn't mean we should care at all what you think.
    Funnily enough, thats just what the rest of society thinks about "street art".

• Advertisement

Oho, so you think its okay to wreck public property, in the delusional world where you actually own a piece of it? You don't, as you would know if you had read the thread fully.
    So if noone owns a piece of this world, what exactly is your problem again?
    Oh I never said anarchist degenerates, I appoint them no such laurels. Cowardly, immature, self centred attention seekers looking to be remembered as if their legacy was worth anything, regardless of the cost to anyone else, now that would more fit the profile.
    You generalise and you are prejudiced. You see an entire artistic medium as an affront on society.

By all means, feel free to broaden my mind on the matter.
    I wouldn't assume that I could. It involves not looking for people to convince you of everything.
    Funnily enough, thats just what the rest of society thinks about "street art".
    You don't represent society, sorry.

I am very interested in debating this with you as i am hugely interested in the scene itself. It seems that you would rather resort to one lines and smilies rather than give actual reasons as to why you feel what you do is okay.

Well I knew my message was going to be controversial - and I anticipated such messages on a forum such as boards.ie

I try not to engage in heated debates with people who instantly make voilent threats or outlandish comments such as "As i said, you have a limited world view"

You dont know me from adam so have no reason to comment on what kind of views I have.

I am a firm believer that cities without grafitti look dull and that if someone wants to leave a message or a piece of art (whether you think its art of not) then thats acceptable in my book. If you want to live your life abiding by every single law of the land then thats your own choice. :):)

So if noone owns a piece of this world, what exactly is your problem again?
    Read it again: you think its okay to wreck public property, in the delusional world where you actually own a piece of it -> you don't own a piece of public property.
    You generalise and you are prejudiced. You see an entire artistic medium as an affront on society.
    I do when the medium doesn't belong to them, yes. Can I write on your face?
    I wouldn't assume that I could. It involves not looking for people to convince you of everything.
    Well if you can't back up your reasoning, it will be given due regard.
    You don't represent society, sorry.
    Of course, thats why its perfectly legal for the vandals to go out and deface anything they want. Wait, thats illegal? So its almost as if society as a whole has decided they don't want that? Wow.

These aren't rebels against a faceless society, these aren't artists, these are on a level with dogs pissing the in street to let others know they were there. I woz ere. All the moralising nonsense in the world isn't going to change that.

Of course, thats why its perfectly legal for the vandals to go out and deface anything they want. Wait, thats illegal? So its almost as if society as a whole has decided they don't want that? Wow.

These aren't rebels against a faceless society, these aren't artists, these are on a level with dogs pissing the in street to let others know they were there. I woz ere. All the moralising nonsense in the world isn't going to change that.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Banksy is a well-known pseudo-anonymous[1] British graffiti artist. He is believed to be a native of Yate, South Gloucestershire, near Bristol[1] and to have been born in 1974,[2] but there is substantial public uncertainty about his identity and personal and biographical details.[3] According to Tristan Manco, Banksy "was born in 1974 and raised in Bristol, England. The son of a photocopier engineer, he trained as a butcher but became involved in graffiti during the great Bristol aerosol boom of the late 1980s."[4] His artworks are often-satirical pieces of art on topics such as politics, culture, and ethics. His street art, which combines graffiti writing with a distinctive stencilling technique, is similar to Blek le Rat, who began to work with stencils in 1981 in Paris and members of the anarcho-punk band Crass who maintained a graffiti stencil campaign on the London Tube System in the late 1970s and early 1980s. His art has appeared in cities around the world.[5] Banksy's work was born out of the Bristol underground scene which involved collaborations between artists and musicians.

Banksy does not sell photos of street graffiti or mount exhibitions of screenprints in commercial galleries

Wow, it's like society has stated that he is an artist and that it is art.

Wow, it's like society wikipedia has stated that he is an artist and that it is art.

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement