Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy in Dublin?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well I knew my message was going to be controversial - and I anticipated such messages on a forum such as boards.ie

I try not to engage in heated debates with people who instantly make voilent threats or outlandish comments such as "As i said, you have a limited world view"

You dont know me from adam so have no reason to comment on what kind of views I have.

I am a firm believer that cities without grafitti look dull and that if someone wants to leave a message or a piece of art (whether you think its art of not) then thats acceptable in my book. If you want to live your life abiding by every single law of the land then thats your own choice. :):)

You don't appear to be reading my posts, or are choosine the parts that suit. As i said, we all operate from a limited world view. And if you choose to espouse your views on an public forum then i am perfectly entitled to comment on them.

As i said, i am into the scene, working on my own things like stencils, graff etc. It doesn't mean i feel the need to go around and spray my pieces all over the city. I don't think that is too hard a factor to grasp.

Anyways, this debate is hardly heated, i am hardly prejudiced against what it is you do, simply where you do it and all i have asked for is an actual reason as to why you think it is okay to deface someone elses property.

Would you sneak out at night and deface the property of your parents and family?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fixed that for you.

Why thank you. Because the law is the sole voice of society of course.

Kold wrote: »
    Wow, it's like society has stated that he is an artist and that it is art.

People running to Banksy as their defence is annoying.

You are not Banksy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Why thank you. Because the law is the sole voice of society of course.
    Its the voice that expresses issues the community felt were serious enough to punish you if you ignored, so I'd safely say it expresses a lot of the important things. It also happens to be the voice that specifically and in no uncertain terms covers this particular form of narcissism.

Ye gods, do you actually think you had scored a point? :D

Dragan wrote: »
    People running to Banksy as their defence is annoying.

You are not Banksy.

Where did I claim that I was? Jesus. I was defending street art from someone who refuses to acknowledge it.

Where did I claim that I was? Jesus. I was defending street art from someone who refuses to acknowledge it.
    Oh I acknowledge it alright, as public masturbation (which is also illegal). Would you be happier if anyone could stroke one off in front of you? After all, you can't decide what you want to see in life, so surely getting your skateboard covered in someone's man juice is a part of city life? Right?

Why should they acknowledge it? It's a matter of opinion afterall.

The simple fact is that most taggers do nothing but give people a reason to hate street art, most of them are not on a level where there work needs to be seen by the public in any way.

Just because i THINK i can sing does not give me the right to scream in your ear on the bus.

Its the voice that expresses issues the community felt were serious enough to punish you if you ignored, so I'd safely say it expresses a lot of the important things. It also happens to be the voice that specifically and in no uncertain terms covers this particular form of narcissism.

Ye gods, do you actually think you had scored a point? :D

Blasphemy is also illegal apparently. I don't let society's ignorance dictate my life.
    Neither of us are really going to convince the other so I don't think anyone's scoring any points here. Grafitti will exist long after we're gone and as long as anyone has anything they want to say. I think some of it is particularly good and relevant, you don't. Then again as an artist, I look for relevance, I don't expect you to have the same level of appreciation.

Then again as an artist, I look for relevance, I don't expect you to have the same level of appreciation.

And this is exactly what i mean. Your arrogance is starting to show my friend.;)

Surely getting your skateboard covered in someone's man juice is a part of city life? Right?

Is it?

• Advertisement

And this is exactly what i mean. Your arrogance is starting to show my friend.;)

My arrogance? How is it arrogance? I've spent 3 years studying art. Of course I know more about it than the average member of society.

Blasphemy is also illegal apparently.
    When blasphemers start to deface public property, you might have half a point.
    I don't let society's ignorance dictate my life.
    You have no problem allowing your own opinions to dictate to society, though?
    Then again as an artist, I look for relevance, I don't expect you to have the same level of appreciation.
    Heh. You know nothing about me. And I recognise that art is not some supreme calling as some of the more deluded posters seem to think, and it certainly isn't an excuse to lash out at daddy by wrecking others' property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Would you sneak out at night and deface the property of your parents and family?

I doubt it.

I think theres a difference between somebody spray painting a public wall or bridge than going and spray painting on someones resedential dwelling.

My arrogance? How is it arrogance? I've spent 3 years studying art. Of course I know more about it than the average member of society.

Nope. You know more about technique and art history and method than some. The point of art is to stir something within us emotionally....what you have just done is blanket insult the majority of your untargeted audience....the people who will walk past your work everyday and in your own words "not get it".

If they won't get it then why put it there and who are you trying to talk to with it?
    I think theres a difference between somebody spray painting a public wall or bridge than going and spray painting on someones resedential dwelling.

Why? It still affects the same people. The irony is that tax money you are so proud of paying ends up being wasted on having to wash this stuff of the walls.

As i said, there are much better ways to go about doing things. But they are more difficult so most people have no interest in exploring them. It's largely a selfish thing, forcing your own view of the scene onto people both in and out of it.

Anyways, i'm done here, it's all just going round in circles now but it has been nice to debate it. Thanks. : )

When blasphemers start to deface public property, you might have half a point.

If businesses are allowed to slap anything they want up, it already shows how much society wants to preserve an area.
    You have no problem allowing your own opinions to dictate to society, though?
    The only place I've expressed these opinions are here on boards.ie
    Heh. You know nothing about me. And I recognise that art is not some supreme calling as some of the more deluded posters seem to think, and it certainly isn't an excuse to lash out at daddy by wrecking others' property.
    You're fairly right. Art is both an overrated and underrated commodity due to misinterpretation of it's role. I held the same opinion as Dragan where only good grafitti had worth until I realised that it was like saying only intelligent people should be allowed to talk. You can't have good graf without the sh*t.

Nope. You know more about technique and art history and method than some. The point of art is to stir something within us emotionally....what you have just done is blanket insult the majority of your untargeted audience....the people who will walk past your work everyday and in your own words "not get it".

If they won't get it then why put it there and who are you trying to talk to with it?

Not really true. I don't partake in grafitti nor am I really reaching out to people in my current practice. Another thing you have to realise is that art doesn't have to be dumbed down. Art doesn't have to work simply on the basis of emotion.

Banksy's themes aren't too complex, yet they're cleverly carried out. He's a very good and very relevant artist by todays standards.

If businesses are allowed to slap anything they want up, it already shows how much society wants to preserve an area.
    Businesses aren't allowed to slap anything they want up. There are very stringent laws and regulations regarding the placement and content of public advertising or other commercial information. You can't even put out a sandwich board in most places without the council hauling it off. Thats why you see those unfortunates wandering around with the front-and-back boards.
    The only place I've expressed these opinions are here on boards.ie
    Oh, so you don't think your ideals should be reflected in wider society?
    You're fairly right. Art is both an overrated and underrated commodity due to misinterpretation of it's role. I held the same opinion as Dragan where only good grafitti had worth until I realised that it was like saying only intelligent people should be allowed to talk. You can't have good graf without the sh*t.
    If "good graf" involves wrecking someone else's property, its not good anything.

Businesses aren't allowed to slap anything they want up. There are very stringent laws and regulations regarding the placement and content of public advertising or other commercial information. You can't even put out a sandwich board in most places without the council hauling it off. Thats why you see those unfortunates wandering around with the front-and-back boards.
    Where there's a will there's a way. It's much the same principal. I know which I prefer to look at though.
    Oh, so you don't think your ideals should be reflected in wider society?
    Isn't that the nature of opinion? As far as grafitti goes, you're the one who's complaining about society here. People with spraycans are part of society too.
    If "good graf" involves wrecking someone else's property, its not good anything.

Yeah. You've stated your opinion on these matters before. I think it's good though.

Where there's a will there's a way. It's much the same principal.
    Ahahaha, ah yeah. You are obviously an academic, with a magical academical wand that waves away any difficulties in the private sector. How is a business applying to the council for permission to put up advertising in an authorised location, paying for the privelege, and providing a service to those who might be interested in that service, all in accordance with the established consensus of the community, in any way equivalent to some narcissistic nimrod waggling around their tin knob replacement in the wee hours of the morning out of some primitive instinctive need to be remembered?
    People with spraycans are part of society too.
    So are people who break into houses to get money for their drugs, but I don't see you sallying forth to defend their actions.
    I think it's good though.
    You'd be happy enough for me to write on your face, so?

• Advertisement

Ahahaha, ah yeah. You are obviously an academic, with a magical academical wand that waves away any difficulties in the private sector. How is a business applying to the council for permission to put up advertising in an authorised location, paying for the privelege, and providing a service to those who might be interested in that service, all in accordance with the established consensus of the community, in any way equivalent to some narcissistic nimrod waggling around their tin knob replacement in the wee hours of the morning out of some primitive instinctive need to be remembered?
    Because money shouldn't all of a sudden make something OK. I'm happier reading someone's heartfelt poetry (a la Basquiat) than finding out that Vodafone are ripping people off slightly less than they were before. But it's Ok.. It's a black guy singing Bob Marley's Jammin' whilst rubbing suntan lotion on some dude! Oh rastafari man, that **** is priceless.
    So are people who break into houses to get money for their drugs, but I don't see you sallying forth to defend their actions.
    It's not quite the same crime. Stop being silly.
    You'd be happy enough for me to write on your face, so?
    Further stupid arguments aside, what exactly is it you want to write on my face? If you want to write it that badly might I suggest a wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Why? It still affects the same people. The irony is that tax money you are so proud of paying ends up being wasted on having to wash this stuff of the walls.

Proud of paying my taxes?? There you go manipulating words again to make your 'debate' sound stronger...

Anyway I am just a wee bit of an anarchist at heart, what can ya do. Bye now :)

Because money shouldn't all of a sudden make something OK.
    Its not the the money, its the working within the agreed consensus of the community. If you have a problem with that consensus, work to change it. If you can't grasp that after it being pointed out multiple times, theres nothing more that can be said to you. What a farce.

Its not the the money, its the working within the agreed consensus of the community. If you have a problem with that consensus, work to change it. If you can't grasp that after it being pointed out multiple times, theres nothing more that can be said to you. What a farce.

A large proportion of people express an appreciation for it. It doesn't really matter though, I'm not concerned of it's legality, I think it's fine that it's illegal and that people still do it. As I've said, it's a pointless endeavor to try and stamp it out so really you're the one inconvenienced here. After hearing your weak arguments, I'm not convinced that I should care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Sleepy wrote: »
    Fieldog, the British Mueseum would disagree with you:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article223663.ece

Banksy's work is most certainly art. If only Grift and associated twats would take a leaf out of his book...

Anyone got a pic of this?

A blue square was sold for £1million recently :D Banksy's work is more artistic than anything else I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

+1

• Advertisement

hot2def wrote: »
    +1

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Very strignent laws which, if you have enough money, can be bent a little :)...

Reality is, you don't have a say what goes up on the other side of your wall. If a tagger wants to paint it, it will be done. If McDonalds get permission to put a giant golden M on it, it will be done. End of. There is no difference.
    SimpleSam wrote:

Exactly how is it "wecking someone else's property"? Does it render it uninhabitable? Or are you merely worried about the price of the house, because, after all, money is everything around here, and nothing else is going to cause the price of your house to drop...
    How is a business applying to the council for permission to put up advertising in an authorised location, paying for the privelege, and providing a service to those who might be interested in that service, all in accordance with the established consensus of the community, in any way equivalent to some narcissistic nimrod waggling around their tin knob replacement in the wee hours of the morning out of some primitive instinctive need to be remembered?

Very good question. I'd like an answer to that myself. Does said business ask the individual homeowner for permission...? Are they will to pay the individual homeowner for said priviliedge?

Say what you like, bad grafitti has never actually killed anyone. Unlike the more acceptable crimes like speeding, drinking and driving...

So there's NO difference between public and private...?:confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So there's NO difference between public and private...?:confused:
    Rather than dealing with the wide, brownish streak of misconceptions, mistakes, and flat out nonsense in your post, I'll content myself with saying that your shit got ruined a few pages back. ;) Do try to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I'm a fully adult, tax-paying citizen. I am entitled to my opinion, and its no one's fault but yours if your arguments haven't moved me. thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rather than dealing with the wide, brownish streak of misconceptions, mistakes, and flat out nonsense in your post, I'll content myself with saying that your shit got ruined a few pages back. ;) Do try to keep up.

No, please.... do....

And, to my knowledge, my artwork has never been published on boards...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Sorry for posting in here as its so old.
    On the red line luas just at the bridge beside Good Counsel Drimnagh/Inchicore spotted a very good look alike Banksy style image?
    Anyone else spot it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is old, you can start a thread in Dublin forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement