Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S60 - Opinions

Options
  • 08-01-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Has anyone any feedback on a 06 Auto 2.4 TD Volvo S60 (all the extras included),
    specifically from a reliability, service cost etc perspective, especially when compared against my current 02 Auto 1.9 TDI VW Passat?

How do these compare size wise as well as I use mine for work a lot too so need the bigger boot that the Passat offers.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Brother in law had one for three years and loved it. The boot is'nt that big. It was definitly smaller than his wifes mondeo. As for relability , of course its going to be more dependable than a passat , but then again so are most cars. Why not try a mondeo.(which the S60 is based on) Great value , bulletproof and loads of room plus if you like driving you'll have a big smile on your face at the end of every journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Boot significantly smaller than the Passat. And even narrower smaller opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Has anyone any feedback on a 06 Auto 2.4 TD Volvo S60 (all the extras included),
    specifically from a reliability, service cost etc perspective, especially when compared against my current 02 Auto 1.9 TDI VW Passat?

How do these compare size wise as well as I use mine for work a lot too so need the bigger boot that the Passat offers.

Cheers!

high depreciation as per cars in this category, nice to drive, boot as others said not that big for that size of car. usually sold in SE spec a lot of the diesels sold are manual,, from what i see

the 2.4 is nice and fast and from what i recall my mate gets up to 45mpg on it. if i was gona get a volvo id get a v70 estate, huge boot, and with the new model released there would be some good deals out there in the 06 models.. they have only 2 year warranty, so if something went wrong then it could be costly... by all acounts the 2.4 diesel is a good engine ..

also a standard service in main dealers will cost 300-320 approx,

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

groupb wrote: »
    ...Why not try a mondeo.(which the S60 is based on)...

Oh no it's not.... The S60 is a Volvo P2 platform car, like the S80, V70 and a couple of Ford's big US models. The C30, S40 & V50 are based on the Focus (P1 platform), but they're the only Volvos that share a platform with a European Ford.

The 2.4l D5 is the one to go for, but avoid the automatic box. They do go wrong and the dealers cannot repair them. If a big boot is a requirement and you must have a saloon, look at the S80. It's slightly wider, but a lot longer which translates into a lot more rear legroom and a huge boot. They're actually not that much dearer than the S60 second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It's only the new S80 and V70 that are based on the new Mk4 Mondeo.

The P2 platform was developed before Ford bought Volvo, though the American market Ford Five Hundred is based on this chassis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The S60 seems almost always overlooked by people when buying medium sized executive sofas. This makes them a great second hand buy but not if your selling one.

As others have said the D5 is the pick of the bunch but unless you are doing decent mileage you may not be able to justify spending the premium over the petrol models. Another bonus about the S60 is that 90% of them come well speced even in VRT Ireland. Most will have leather heated seats, etc so shop around.

Better choice and bargins in the UK but if going for a petrol version import it before 1st July as the VRT and road tax will be cheaper on the current system, if going for an oil burner make sure it is after 1st July when you import.

Advertisement