Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your CDR brand of choice?

• 08-01-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

They dont make 'em like they used to do they? :)

I still have those chunky TDK CDRs that were out in the 90's and ten years on most of them still play grand. On the flip side Im finding myself re-burning other most used CDRs every few months as they dont seem to have the same life span as the chunky ones you could buy back then.

So a couple of questions to pro DJs:

What is your CDR brand of choice? What exact model to you go for? Eg: "TDK CDR Audio 80 mins", I find brands have different levels of quality depending on the type.

Also:

Where can I buy these old school "chunky" CDRs? What I mean by that is CDRs that are very "thick". I think a good way of telling if a CDR is going to last long is if you hold it upto the light. Some very cheap CDRs are virtually transparent! The thicker the better methinks.

My own choice would be the Maxwell CDR 80XL Colour range - they seem to last reasonably well, Ive only had to re-burn some 3 year old ones that wre used night in night out recently. TDK Audio Multipacks (the multi coloured ones) would be ok too but I try to avoid Sony and give the cheap and cheerful Verbatim multi-pack spindles a complete miss - they're a disaster lol.

All feedback welcome, its a format most people reading this forum would use daily or a few times a week so lets seperate the great brands from the bad :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ive had no trouble with the Aldi ones, mind you im only using them over a yr now, Tevlon, 15eur for 50....

Maxell 80 and Yellow TDKs are still goin since I got my 1st cdj1000 (back in 02!)
    I never had to re-burn any of them tbh, what do you be doin to your cds?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tevion are fairly ****e from my experience, I'd say give them a year or two and they'll fall apart...
    You can't go far wrong with Verbatim discs burned at 8x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

tman wrote: »
    Tevion are fairly ****e from my experience, I'd say give them a year or two and they'll fall apart...
    You can't go far wrong with Verbatim discs burned at 8x

Verbatim are great. TDK too. You get what you pay for I guess.

Back in the late 90's I used HP CDRs, they were thick felt like they would
    last for ages. They were expensive though, but most HP media is.

If there are any real tech heads out there who know about which discs are
    made to ISO certification, then they'd be the ones I'd go for for serious archiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Verbatim are great

Are you insane? :)

They're the only CDR Ive used where the layer of protective coating on the label side comes off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Are you insane? :)

They're the only CDR Ive used where the layer of protective coating on the label side comes off!

I've never had any trouble with Verbatim media. Maybe you got a bad batch.

• Advertisement

I know many Djs who were left cursing the name of Verbatim after a few gigs with their CDRs so I dont think it was just my batch :) Those and PC Line have to be the worst Ive used

Thought Id bump this and give Phillips some props, they seem to be both reliable and well priced lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I only use them to back up my songs. But usually go for Verbatim. I use DVD+R disks as I can get more onto them. I make 2 copies, one to use as a back up if I need it, and one as a 'archive' This is put into a hard case and stored upstairs away from all my kit and laptop. That way I wont be tempted to use it or lose it!

I have all my songs on an external HDD, with nothing else on it. I have the same folders on my 00DJ so I basically have 4 copies of all my songs. I back them up to DVD every 4 weeks, so if anything does happen to my HDD I only have 4 weeks of songs to re-download! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TDK blue azo dye ones. However Lidl's silver Tevion ones are actually fairly decent...

Found Verbatim and Memorex to be unusably bad - Memorex probably being worse than a no-namer.

Realistically anything using blue azo dye is what you want for longer life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

+1 for the TDK, I only get Verbatim as they are easier to find. But most of mine at the moment are TDK. The Verbatim DVD+Rs I use tend to be better than the CDRs. Not had any probs in 4 years. Saying that, will probably go t1ts up now! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭just pete

I use the sony ones (green box forget the name) never had any trouble with them. I had an argument with a music shop employee about this topic about a mont ago,he tried to tell me there was no difference and that Mr Data cds were great -fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luke! Broughan

Check out these "bad boys"

http://bigmaggot.co.uk/files/cache/eb8e19721788700e7f3ff79da5ab0e3c.jpg

the coating on top of them is sooo thick and durable.

its like the stuff they put on an album you'd buy in a shop(real durable)

im going to order a couple offline soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Datawrites with a green writing layer, got 50 for €5 or less, there CMC mags but seem relyable, their only CD Rs after all :), they seem quite durable and the price is right! Used verb CD Rs in the past and tbh, a bit over rated, as its just CD Rs i find the cheap ones do grand, come DVDs though the quality matters ;)

Nick

Edit: http://svp.co.uk/product/datawrite_titanium_52x_cd_r_1156_x100 its these ones btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Green dye = cyanine = terrible. Theres a reason they're that cheap! Great for temporary storage/movement of data, not for long term storage and use in an enviroment where theres UV exposure (such as blacklights in a nightclub...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 -jethro-

ProDisc Gold - these look the business and are pretty much awesome. I got them as a present recently in australia, which is where theyre made, but well worth importing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MYOB wrote: »
    Green dye = cyanine = terrible. Theres a reason they're that cheap! Great for temporary storage/movement of data, not for long term storage and use in an enviroment where theres UV exposure (such as blacklights in a nightclub...)
    I wasnt sure this was in the DJ forum, I just saw it on the latest posts portal page, I thought it was a general topic! Sorry lol!

Nick

Check out these "bad boys"

http://bigmaggot.co.uk/files/cache/eb8e19721788700e7f3ff79da5ab0e3c.jpg

the coating on top of them is sooo thick and durable.

its like the stuff they put on an album you'd buy in a shop(real durable)

im going to order a couple offline soon.

I like the look of these ;)

Advertisement