Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big bags of coal

Options
  • 08-01-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I cant seem to find a place that does big bags of coal. Ive not really tried too hard but all i can find are those 20Kg bags in places like statoil or Daybreak. Im looking for a place that specifically sells coal and the likes. Cosey coal is nice so if I could find that type then all the better.

Cheers everybody

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cosy glow is pants you might as well light a candle. I thought ye wheren't allowed to burn coal in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

It cant be smoking coal. Smokeless coal is permitted, AFAIK. It'd confuse me as to why places sell coal in Galway if your not allowed burn it. My parents have cosy coal an I think its pretty good.

I've been stuck with that cosy glow a few times, compared to proper coal it's useless. Turf is better when you pile a load of it in. Can you burn Turf in the city that's usually only around €3 a bag if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

peat briquettes and wood ftw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you tried the golden pages , search for Coal & Solid Fuel
    or under Fuel in the Advertiser classifieds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Of course you can burn turf.
    What's cosy coal?
    Syxpak, the briquettes are good for splitting and using to start the fire, but you get nowhere the heat from it or wood that you do from coal.

Aye, but I don't like coal or uranium. The type of flue/fireback that you have can greatly affect whether heat from the fire is directed into the room or us sucked straight up the chimney.
    We got a new one in the family gaff a few years back, changed things considerably for the better.

Ah, that puts me in my place so.
    But I do know that if you burn exclusively turf or peat, there's be a lot more residue building up in the chimney and will need regular cleaning, a lot more than with just coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Never thought of the golden pages. Found a few in there now. Ill check em out later on.
    While were on the debate, what coal do ye all think is the best for giving out heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

It's not illegal to burn smoky coals in cities it is only illegal to SELL it. So go out of town and buy and burn what ya like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

No matter how much coal I crush I never get any diamonds.:(

Shamrogue wrote: »
    what coal do ye all think is the best for giving out heat?

THere's a joke in there aboutburning Polish coal, but I can't see it.

Tails142 wrote: »
    It's not illegal to burn smoky coals in cities it is only illegal to SELL it. So go out of town and buy and burn what ya like.
    Get yourself a few bags of Polish coal so, best coal money can buy and it burns 6 times longer a 3 times hotter than Irish turf. Hows that wet-paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

unfortunately it tends to scream when set alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

SyxPak wrote: »
    Aye, but I don't like coal or uranium. The type of flue/fireback that you have can greatly affect whether heat from the fire is directed into the room or us sucked straight up the chimney.
    We got a new one in the family gaff a few years back, changed things considerably for the better.

Ya the fireplace in the house im in now does not deliver half the heat that my last house did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I vaguely remember seeing coal for sale in the petrol station beside NUIG. The one thats just off Quincentennial Bridge.

Not 100% definite though

Shamrogue wrote: »
    I cant seem to find a place that does big bags of coal. Ive not really tried too hard but all i can find are those 20Kg bags in places like statoil or Daybreak. Im looking for a place that specifically sells coal and the likes. Cosey coal is nice so if I could find that type then all the better.

Cheers everybody

There's a house across the road from the entrance to Glenlo Abbey (on the Moycullen road, just past Bushypark).

As far as I know they still sell coal & fuels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

no the house opp glenlo doesnt do coal anymore. theres a good few coalmen around galway johnny walsh is one, dont have his number but im sure u can get it in the golden pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Do what i do and buy out of town. I brought loads of bags of proper coal in clifden. Pefect price and perfect heat! All this scaremongering about global warming is complete toss. You cant tell me briquettes, smokeless coal etc is more eco friendly? Just us tossers in the city will pay more for fuel as we believe it!

Have you lit a fire with briquettes & smokeless coal and seen the smoke that is produced at light up?

No different to normal wood/coal etc!!!

Advertisement