Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequently receiving someone else post

Options
  • 08-01-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    We normally get other peoples post delivered to our house.
    On average about 3-4 items per week. Over Christmas this swelled to 17 pieces of mail for others.
    Not all of it is for the previous owners (maybe 1/4 of it is)
    Whats more annoying however is that a lot of it is addressed correctly, the postman just doesnt bother to deliver it correctly.

The name of my estate is also the name of my street.
    e.g
    I live at 14 X Grove, in the X Grove estate.
    There are also X Street, X Grove and X Lawn, X Grove but anything with a 14 on it ends up at my house.

I usually dump it all back in the post box with either "Not at this address" or "Delivered to wrong address" and circle the correct line but Im getting sick of it.
    I rang the sorting office and they said that there is nothing they can do. The guy pretty much advised me to bin it "but obviously I cant tell you to do that"

Anyone else have this sort of problem or any advice?
    Its getting a bit much.
    We get Christmas cards with money in them for kids, magazine subscriptions, court summonses etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try contacting customer.services@anpost.ie - though I wonder if they would reply.

Failing that, I wonder if Comreg could do anything, seeing as how they oversee regulation of postal services in this country.

Seeing as how the post is correctly addressed, it's not an issue on the part of the sender. The fault appears to lie with An Post.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have you tried talking directly to your postman?

If any post had a return address, I would cross out the delivery address completely and repost it, so at least the sender knows there was an issue with delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

KtK wrote: »
    Have you tried talking directly to your postman?

If any post had a return address, I would cross out the delivery address completely and repost it, so at least the sender knows there was an issue with delivery.

I never catch him
    lots of them do bave return addresses, makes no difference
    Time, readers digest, banks
    It all still comes here over and over again

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id put Time RD and any circulars straight in the bin.:)

This is really down to your postman, sounds like s/hes the one messing up. But it might not hurt to contact anpost. I did have a look at their site though, and their advice on mis-delivered post is comical (If its convenient, help us by delivering it to the correct address??? lol) But all you can do is try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I am receiving someone else's mail

Why is this happening?

* There may have been a previous occupant at the address who has not redirected their mail or changed their address.
    * By law we have to deliver the mail to the stated address (not the named person).

Solution: Return the item to us.

* Mark the item ‘Return to sender’ and put it into a Post Box.
    * If it is convenient, please help us by putting it through the correct letterbox. If this happens frequently, please let us know and we will try to resolve it.
    * You can re-post the item in a Post Box, or give it to your Postperson
    * If you are a business, we can send out an An Post Postperson to collect bags of mail.

Report mail delivery issues to here - http://www.anpost.ie/NR/rdonlyres/A4FBAADB-8E9E-40F4-8F3B-F34D8ACB0C88/0/M58.pdf

So by delivering to the incorrect address there breaking the law?

• Advertisement

yeah Ive seen that page.
    Not much of a solution in my opinion, especially when it is a repeated and frequent problem :(

I thought it would be possible to only accept mail addressed to a specific list of names at a certain address, but it appears not.

I guess there would be issues if the person with this rule moves...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GreeBo wrote: »

Its getting a bit much.
    We get Christmas cards with money in them for kids, magazine subscriptions, court summonses etc.

So your opening post you know isnt adressesd to you? for shame:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you speak to the supervisor in the Delivery Office?
    They are usually quite good about sorting things like this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

(

I thought it would be possible to only accept mail addressed to a specific list of names at a certain address, but it appears not.

Well it would make things difficult if you had allowed a friend/relation use your address to get something delivered to your address on a once off basis. My brother uses my address for that purpose now and again.

I would call into your local post office and speak to the supervisor about your postman, maybe bring some of the post you have been receiving, if it has been addressed correctly, the fault lies with the postman.

I had a problem with my postman a couple of months back where I was out at work when he was delivering parcels to my house. He was too lazy to write a docket and leave it in the letterbox so would either dump it with a neighbour or leave it in the school I work in, where there is no guarantee i would get it, and I did not want these parcels going to the school. This was registered post (exam scripts) and one day I met the caretaker who told me he had met the postman who gave him a parcel for me etc etc and he was going around with it in the back of his car.

Anyway I complained at the post office and it hasn't happened since. Actually the postman called to my door that evening to make a personal apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hey,
    We normally get other peoples post delivered to our house.
    On average about 3-4 items per week. Over Christmas this swelled to 17 pieces of mail for others.
    Not all of it is for the previous owners (maybe 1/4 of it is)
    Whats more annoying however is that a lot of it is addressed correctly, the postman just doesnt bother to deliver it correctly.

The name of my estate is also the name of my street.
    e.g
    I live at 14 X Grove, in the X Grove estate.
    There are also X Street, X Grove and X Lawn, X Grove but anything with a 14 on it ends up at my house.

I usually dump it all back in the post box with either "Not at this address" or "Delivered to wrong address" and circle the correct line but Im getting sick of it.
    I rang the sorting office and they said that there is nothing they can do. The guy pretty much advised me to bin it "but obviously I cant tell you to do that"

Its getting a bit much.

Obvious Junk mail could be recycled but for the correctly addressed mail, could you not pass it to the right address and explain the horrendous
    experiences and inconvenience of it all. I'm sure the people will be delighted to receive their mail and be anxious to contact An Post to rectify matters leaving you to get on with enjoying your life.

As for opening letters well, thats a mean thing to do and if you do not return the money you're stealing and thats a crime.

How bad can it be you take kids birthday money.

Or perhaps you are being monitored and one day the summons will be for you!

• Advertisement

Obvious Junk mail could be recycled but for the correctly addressed mail, could you not pass it to the right address and explain the horrendous
    experiences and inconvenience of it all. I'm sure the people will be delighted to receive their mail and be anxious to contact An Post to rectify matters leaving you to get on with enjoying your life.

As for opening letters well, thats a mean thing to do and if you do not return the money you're stealing and thats a crime.

How bad can it be you take kids birthday money.

Or perhaps you are being monitored and one day the summons will be for you!

It goes into the local charity box.
    I have looked up some of the names/addresses in the phone book but cant find the correct people.
    It often doesnt have a correct address, just not my address, but I get it anyways.
    The letters are opened to look for a return address.
    Like today, some little girl won €75 on her prize bonds, unless I opened it I dont know what return address to put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

this used to happen in my house too (always for some guy who lived in an estate with a similar name). I told the postman who told me he'd 'no idea how that happens, I check every letter'. He obviously doesn't as it continued so I popped one letter back in the post with something along the lines of 'sick to death of receiving incorrect post, please ask postman to actually check addresses'. Problem stopped soon after.

I did think at times was some of our post going missing to this other guys house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

The letters are opened to look for a return address.
    Like today, some little girl won €75 on her prize bonds, unless I opened it I dont know what return address to put on it.

You don't need to know what address to return it to. Just write "Not at this address" or "Return to sender" on the envelope and it's up to An Post to either find the right address or return to sender.

Try asking to speak to the DSM (district service manager) at the delivery office to sort it out, either on the phone or in person. They won't always be there as they are in charge of several delivery offices so travel around quite a bit. But that'd be the top boss person anyway and should sort it out for you.

N_Raid wrote: »
    You don't need to know what address to return it to. Just write "Not at this address" or "Return to sender" on the envelope and it's up to An Post to either find the right address or return to sender.
    I need to so I can write to the person/company directly.
    I keep receiving post for the same people from the same companies despite writing "return to sender" on the first 5 or 6 of them.
    N_Raid wrote: »
    Try asking to speak to the DSM (district service manager) at the delivery office to sort it out, either on the phone or in person. They won't always be there as they are in charge of several delivery offices so travel around quite a bit. But that'd be the top boss person anyway and should sort it out for you.
    Will try that thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I keep receiving post for the same people from the same companies despite writing "return to sender" on the first 5 or 6 of them.

I've been returning post to one particular address for over 18 months now. They still keep coming.

I'll contact the sorting office to see if there is anything that I can do about it.

Otherwise, I'll be attaching a 1kg weight to the next letter I return. (Joking)

Advertisement