Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Other Names for Rocker Gasket Cover?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

IrishRover, thank you very much indeed, really appreciate your help. It's a 1998 2.2 VTi Auto/Tiptronic, Engine H22A5 and Chassis # BB624...

JHMEG, I called Japrek earlier about a tranny conversion and they said they wouldn't do it even if they had the replacement manual tranny cause of the hassle invloved. Said they had a 94 Prelude with a manual tranny but he didn't know if that would go into the 5th gen Prelude. I've seen guides on the web for doing the swap so I might ask a young mechanic I know if he'd be up to giving it a go.

I would like the manual option but it's the same problem who'll do it and as well as trying to get the manual box with all the necessary parts. Gonna call around to a few dismantlers just in case.

Thanks guys,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I've found a chap in Cork that will do the auto to manual conversion but doesn't have any of the parts. I've got a list off the web for everything I'll be needing to do the conversion so I'm going to be costing it tomorrow. I'm tempted to get this since it's probably less hassle in case I didn't get all the parts for the tranny swap and it's a better and lower mileage engine. Only downside is that it doesn't seem of have the LSD tranny which would be prefferable. They even have shipping costs to Ireland.

As I calculate it these are the options:

1: Replace tranny with dealer: Parts: €2700 Labour: €600 Total: €3300
    2: Buy 2nd hand tranny: Parts: ~€750 Labour €400 Total: €1150
    3: Gearbox rebuild: Total €2000
    4: Swap Engine + M/T (Type S JDM): Parts: ~€3200 Labour: ~€650 Total: €3850
    5: Swap Engine + M/T (Stock): Parts: ~€2450 Labour: ~€650 Total: €3100
    6: Swap M/T: Parts: ~€1300 Labour: ~€500 Total: €1800

The boy-racing scumbag in me would prefer option 4 there ;) I'd be concerned with number 6 as I feel there's more potential for things to go wrong although I'm certainly no expert. Options 1 & 2 are no options since the tranny will be guarnteed to go again. The rebuild is very expensive but I'm considering it. But a 220bhp JDM.......................... *salivating*

:)

Nick

Edit: Link wasn't working

Advertisement