Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd and 3rd History

• 08-01-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick few questions really here for those in history, if ye wouldnt mind answering them for me.

Mostly I'm wondering what exactly are the requirements for doing it in second year? I only did one module last semester, but thinking of changing to two for the next one. Am i able to continue after doing just three(like in economics), or do I have to do all 4? I think I read you only have to do three, but not entirely sure.

Also, how much work is required As in, how long are the essays? Thats just more out of cuirosity more than anything, it wont really affect my decision.

I just dont want to change sunjects, then find out I cant continue history on into second year.

EDIT: Also, I was just gonna drop an economics module, but now I cant pick the history one I want. Is it too late to change from major to minor and vice versa? I've just picked the history module that I've wanted as an elective...is that ok then?

Sorry bout all this, just confusing me now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

dunno

should be okay with 3 - and it will get more dificult as it goes on obviously

2 800 word essays and 2 1500 word essays for first semester - id imagine they get longer and more dificult and there will be exams etc etc in yr 2/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

conor2007 wrote: »
    dunno

should be okay with 3 - and it will get more dificult as it goes on obviously

2 800 word essays and 2 1500 word essays for first semester - id imagine they get longer and more dificult and there will be exams etc etc in yr 2/3

This isn't exactly true, the length of essays varies from module to module. There is one core course you have to do and (if it's a joint arts elective) 2 more modules that have optional subject choices but you must do a total of 5 modules through out the year.

Best thing you can do is go to the History office and ask if it's too late or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I browsed for a few electives in December and everything seemed to be 800 essay and 1500 word essay for 100%. no Exams! So in total my finals in may will consist of 1 exam.

I know no one cares about the second part but I said it . As far as I know registration is still open. But dont quote the grimes on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Registration is open until the second week back I think because we have an option in our course, so I'm gonna head to both sets of lectures, see which one I prefer and then choose before registration closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

wow
    but yer man adaolus or however its spelled
    said no exams for first year hist - but 2nd and 3rd yr would

grimes , are you doin arts - hist as a major?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i'm in final year history.
    first semester of 3rd year went like this :

core course - 800 word essay worth 20%, 2 hour exam
    List B - sports history, 2 essays one 20% 1500 words, one 80% 2500 words
    List C - 1500 word essay 30%, 2500 essay 60%, tutorials 10%.

hope that helped a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

i'm in final year history.
    first semester of 3rd year went like this :

core course - 800 word essay worth 20%, 2 hour exam
    List B - sports history, 2 essays one 20% 1500 words, one 80% 2500 words
    List C - 1500 word essay 30%, 2500 essay 60%, tutorials 10%.

hope that helped a bit!

Cheers for that. Helps with one bit anyway.

What I've done is drop one of my economics lectures for this semester, but couldnt pick the history one(Middle Ages Europe or something like that). So what I did was pick it as an elective. But will they automatically take it that I'm doing history now(despite only 15 creds this year) as part of my major? I'd also be looking to do it as a split-subject major from 2nd year onwards.

Sorry about confusing wording of this all aswell. I'm calling up on wednesday to try sort something.

Advertisement