Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Soild Fuel to OFCH

Options
  • 08-01-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm installing a soild fuel stove in a room that back's onto my hot press so the HW cylinder is nearby. The radiators in the house are heated by an oil burner my Q is if I get a stove with a back boiler can I connect the back boiler to the radiator circuit, so I can utilize that as an additional method of heating the rads / HW cylinder?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

DAC wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm installing a soild fuel stove in a room that back's onto my hot press so the HW cylinder is nearby. The radiators in the house are heated by an oil burner my Q is if I get a stove with a back boiler can I connect the back boiler to the radiator circuit, so I can utilize that as an additional method of heating the rads / HW cylinder?
    Thanks

The short answer is yes - but it needs to be done professionally or it can be dangerous. Also, the efficiency and output to the rads will depend on the size of the stove.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

easily done with a couple of non return valves and an extra pump and a professional to fit them. :D Back boilers are scary and dangerous things !!( if not fitted correctly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NATEYZAZ

Dac
    was considering this option what make of stoves have you looked at
    Thanks

oleras wrote: »
    easily done with a couple of non return valves and an extra pump and a professional to fit them. :D Back boilers are scary and dangerous things !!( if not fitted correctly)

You probably also need seperate piping going up to a seperate coil in the hot water cylinder, and continueing up to a header tank in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive a stanlety Erin stove with a back boiler connected to the rad system, saves a good bit of oil.
    I had it running upstaris and downstairs rads but it wasent good enough as to many rads- the reommend no of rad for my stove is 9 so he plummer connected it up to just run the downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DAC

Thanks for reply's.
    NATEYZEZ,
    Haven't picked a stove yet - but it will somrthing small like this http://www.stovesireland.com/Runswick stove (sorry can't add link properly) - the room is fairly small.
    My query was a general one if in fact it was possible to link both heating methods, I'd get a plumber in to sort out the piping if I go down that route.

DAC wrote: »
    Thanks for reply's.
    NATEYZEZ,
    Haven't picked a stove yet - but it will somrthing small like this http://www.stovesireland.com/Runswick stove (sorry can't add link properly) - the room is fairly small.
    My query was a general one if in fact it was possible to link both heating methods, I'd get a plumber in to sort out the piping if I go down that route.

It is possible - but not with the stove you picked out - you will need one of the larger models that have a back boiler at the back.
    Jim.

Advertisement