Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need New Book

Options
  • 08-01-2008 3:57pm

I've been having trouble finding a new book to read, as nothing catches my attention whatsoever.

I love fantasy genre, but nothing too fantastical i.e. something thats still grounded in real life (Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman on a similar note, does anyone know of any more Neil Gaiman books coming out?), but would be willing to check out other genres too. But I hate auto-biographical books.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet..

Set around the building of a church 700 odd years ago in England..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 whammy

George R.R Martin is what your looking for.
    read the A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series. first one is A GAME OF THRONES. the most amazing books you'll ever read. could be historical fact only that is far too interesting and exciting. there is a mention of dragons and what not here and there, but then its fantasy.

or

Steven Pressfield
    GATES OF FIRE, its basically the movie 300 in a book. spartans v persians

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you read His Dark Materials?

(First book in cinemas as "The Golden Compass" - read it instead!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

whammy wrote: »
    George R.R Martin is what your looking for.
    read the A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series. first one is A GAME OF THRONES. the most amazing books you'll ever read. could be historical fact only that is far too interesting and exciting. there is a mention of dragons and what not here and there, but then its fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Don't know about any more Neil Gaiman books coming out, but he keeps us all very up to date over on his blog (www.neilgaiman.com).

Incidentally, the man himself *highly* recommends Gene Wolfe as a fantasy writer, usually with phrases along the lines of "Buy this book or you will live to regret it." I have just bought one, although I haven't read it yes as I've too many others atm :)

Another good (great?) series, if you haven't already read them, is Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest followed (in sequence - do NOT read them out of sequence!) by The Liveship Traders trilogy (Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship and Ship of Destiny and The Tawny Man trilogy (Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool, and Fool's Fate. Although admittedly they might be a little too fantasy for your taste. Her latest trilogy, the Soldier Son trilogy, isn't as high fantasy, at least for the first two books, but also isn't as good.

There's also Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurtz's Empire Trilogy, which isn't as high fantasy as Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia stuff, and can stand on its own without having first read the Midkemia stuff (although you can appreciate it on a different level if you have).

Iain M. Banks writes *fantastic* sci-fi. Proper sci-fi, not just fantasy on another planet (or well, mostly not just fantasy on another planet :)). His Culture books especially are brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I would totally recommend "The End of Mr Y" by Scarlett Thomas. It's a wonderful story that keeps you gripped throughout. It's a bit fantastical but also totally grounded in the real world.

It was a present at Christmas and it was a good guess by my mum!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Magician? Raymond e fiest

Wasn't big into 'magic fantasy' till i read this,dam fine read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

I'd recommend either 'Dance, Dance, Dance' or 'Kafka on the Shore'
    by Haruki Murakami.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

microgirl wrote: »
    Incidentally, the man himself *highly* recommends Gene Wolfe as a fantasy writer, usually with phrases along the lines of "Buy this book or you will live to regret it." I have just bought one, although I haven't read it yes as I've too many others atm :)
    I think The Book of The New Sun is the book with the serious tributes from Gaiman.

Very interesting read indeed (though I've only read three of the four books so far). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Always been a fan of the 3 wolf in shadow books by david gemmel

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ash - a secret history, mary gentle.

http://www.sfsite.com/10b/ash91.htm

lil review there... I read this a few years ago... absolutely fantastic. Took a few hundred pages for me to get into it, but I read the next near thousand in one or two sittings. Loved it.

Advertisement