Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Meat or Animal Welfare

• 08-01-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Channel 4 are running a series of programmes called the Big Food Fight. Last night Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presented the first of three programmes that seeks to expose the conditions in which cheap chicken meat is reared for consumption.

In essence, the supermarkets sell 39 day old chickens that are bred specifically for maximum weight gain during their short lives. The supermarkets can afford to offer these birds at special prices - 2 for a fiver. EU guidelines say that the animals can be kept in pens at a density of seventeen animals per square meter. The maximum amount of light allowed in 24 hours is 23.5 hours.

Poor conditions, culling of uneconomic animals and forced feeding cycles can result in animals that are barely able to carry their own body weight.

Personally I buy the best chicken I can afford. Not particularly because I am concerned about the animals welfare, but because a healthy free range chicken has better muscle texture - better meat and that means better flavour.

Also there seems to be a lack of thrift among the wider population. A large chicken will feed my family for three days. Breast meat is one dinner, legs, thighs and wings another. The carcass makes a stock which will be the basis of a risotto or stew.

My question is this, is it acceptable to treat animals in this way? Is welfare and husbandry a distant second to the price for the consumer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Watching the show and I think its great.

I think your point about thrift is very important and shows why we should be buying and eating less meat. In the last couple of months I've switched from eating meat on most days to going veggie most days, not only am I saving a money I'm shedding lbs. I would have considered myself pretty healthy and in good shape due to what I considered a good diet based on 90%ish fresh home cooking but I was kidding myself. The amount of meat I was eating was ridiculous. Now I'm planning on reducing meat to 1 or 2 days a week and with the money I'm saving buying organic. I'm feeling fitter, livelier (and hornier;) ) so their are tangible health benefits as well

For a few years now, since I could afford the choice, I have only bought free range (I had probably bought organic twice as its so expensive) for welfare reasons but I notice that hock burns, the red marks on the knuckles and parsons nose caused by the bird wallowing in feces ridden litter, are as likely on free range as intensive. So have I being taken for a ride by the producers/supermarkets that are laughing at the likes of me for thinking I've been buying a bird that at least seen daylight regularly, when really its had as miserable an existence as the cheaper packaged birds and charging me a 4/5 quid mark up to boot? Or are these burns usual on well reared free range birds?

I think for ethical reasons the less meat we eat the more money we have to spend on well reared animals we can be confident have had a good life and for economical reasons the less meat we eat the more money we have to spend on well reared animals which taste better and the less meat I buy the less I have to worry about am I being taken for a ride by supermarkets (except for fairtrade but thats another discussion).
    There is also the carbon footprint aspect of food production which falls on both the ethical and economic sides of the argument . Meat has a massive carbon footprint - fruit/vegetables/grains don't. Meat is becoming so expensive to produce that we are probably going back to the days where it was a treat for Sundays and special occasions - maybe we'll be all better off for it including the animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Free range chickens can be held up to (something like) 400 per acre, and still qualify. They're not exactly going to be roaming the pastures at that rate. Of course some producers have much lower numbers per acre.

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Meat has a massive carbon footprint - fruit/vegetables/grains don't.

Wow, what a broad, baseless, statement.

noby wrote: »
    Wow, what a broad, baseless, statement.

How so? I mean its hardly controversial

My local butcher sources his pork locally, and they are reared, slaughtered,butchered and eaten within a 20 mile radius.
    The kiwis and bananas in the supermarket, on the other hand...

I didn't say it was controversial, just so broad.

My local butcher sources his pork locally, and they are reared, slaughtered,butchered and eaten within a 20 mile radius.
    The kiwis and bananas in the supermarket, on the other hand...
    Transportation is only one aspect of carbon footprints, a pig reared next door to you will have a much greater footprint than the same weight of bananas shipped from the west indies. Heating, feeding, medication, manpower all contribute as well. Also fruit and veg are grown in this country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I don't really consider many things when I'm buying chicken (as opposed to meat) as labelling in this country is so misleading.

It is nigh to impossible to find out if the chicken is really produced in Ireland.
    They only alternative is buying a chicken at an inflated price from a guaranteed source.

MoominPapa: Fair enough. I don't know enough about it, it just seemed like a catch-all statement to me.

olaola: But the fact is it isn't an inflated price. To keep a free-range chicken, feed it, keep it alive for more than 39 days etc. ect. all cost money.

People don't want to spend the extra money. There was a report in the paper recently on how the Irish buy battery eggs at a rate way above the EU average. Supply of battery eggs could barely keep up with demand here in the run up to Christmas.
    People, in general, aren't interested in spending a little extra for a good quality egg, not to mind a chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

To be honest, since myself and the wife bought our first house we kinda flitted between being noble [only buying free-range] to minding the pennies [buying the intensively farmed]!!

However, based on last night's programme, we are truly converted and will never buy an intensively farmed chicken again ... It might sound stupid, but we weren't fully aware of the "life" the intensively farmed chickens are inflicted with.

Looking forward to seeing the concluding part tonight and Jamie Oliver's contribution on Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was a notable was the price premium - the free-range bird retails for just 2 quid more, and you had one woman (part of the estate group) saying she coud'nt afford it cos she's a single mum. I bet she could swap 2 pounds a week from crisps, chocolates, etc if she only thought about it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I guess for most people the choice you make is based on your circumstance.
    when i was in college the cheapest meat was always the best, now however with a few € to spend i am more interested in the quality of what im eating.
    the programme was good but while i dont condone animal cruelty that is their purpose.
    if that guy in the programme got local kids to work 20+ hrs a day for 20p making runners and shoes would people still buy them?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

mike65 wrote: »
    Was a notable was the price premium - the free-range bird retails for just 2 quid more, and you had one woman (part of the estate group) saying she coud'nt afford it cos she's a single mum. I bet she could swap 2 pounds a week from crisps, chocolates, etc if she only thought about it.

Mike.

definitely seemed she was getting enough crisps anyway. It was funny the way they didn't realise you could eat the meat from the bottom of the bird and/or use the carcass for stock and leftovers for rissotto.

Do craft butchers automatically sell free range chicken breasts or should I ask as I'm not going back either.

Not 'automatically'. Just ask, that's what your friendly butcher is there for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While still guilty of picking up a plastic tray of chicken fillets more than I should, I do try to buy whole free-range birds & butcher them myself for whatever I'm cooking. For example, breasts & thighs for a curry, legs for HB Jr I as a treat, carcass for stock.

If I'm under time pressure to do the shopping, cook & feed the family I will revert to the aforementioned fillets, but I do try to ensure that they're free-range at least.

The only eggs I EVER buy are from a lady down the road. They are free range organic (duck & hen) & Sweet Jebus they are the most wonderful thing to have boiled for breakfast on a Saturday morning! I never fully realised the difference in taste between battery - or even shop-bought free range eggs - & the real thing until I tried these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

MoominPapa: Fair enough. I don't know enough about it, it just seemed like a catch-all statement to me.
    MoominPapa is spot on - meat & dairy have a huge environmental impact - carbon emissions, methane (cow farts), fertiliser, etc.

Short summaries here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/jul/19/climatechange.climatechange
    http://environment.independent.co.uk/green_living/article3226321.ece

I'm not planning on turning vegetarian any day, but I'd make me think twice about how much meat is in my diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

olaola: But the fact is it isn't an inflated price. To keep a free-range chicken, feed it, keep it alive for more than 39 days etc. ect. all cost money.

Yet the supermarkets have the largest margin in the supply chain that puts that bird on the dinner table. Tesco don't make billion pound profits through volume sales, rather through having the largest slice of the profit from the retail price. 40%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

LoneGunM@n wrote: »

It might sound stupid, but we weren't fully aware of the "life" the intensively farmed chickens are inflicted with.

I think that's the general problem....it was for me anyway! But I'll definitely be a more conscious shopper from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Just to touch on the fruit and veg/meat thing again. Fruit and Veg can also have an extremely large carbon footprint due to the distance tropical/out of season fruits and veg travel to get to us.

Its a bit of a minefield mind you as a recent study showed that its actually more environmentally friendly to eat imported spanish tomatoes than it is to eat UK tomatoes that are grown in glass houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

I was thinking the same. How much does fatty spend on pizza and fast food I wonder, and she says 2 pounds is a huge difference.

Well its over and the last part was the most interesting, Axminster has a fair few tossers it must be said. "fatty" did not change her views and was spotted by Hugh FW buying bargin chickens as he was inside filming at Tesco.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

39 day old chickens ??? 39 days what size of chicken does that get you?

is that for pieces of chicken or a whole chicken? I coulnd't imagine a chicken getting the big in 39 days, how long did yerman keep his chickens not much longer.

what is the normal life span of a chicken, where does it become fully grown.

• Advertisement

It gets you your average size chicken, if you pump it full of stuff that makes it grow big fast.

I'm not sure what age a good free range bird is slaughtered at, but because they're a little older, and were running around they are a little more muscular which gives a slightly more game-y taste.

I know from personal experience that hens will happily lay at 4 or 5 years old, but because their egg production peaks after the second year laying, most commercial hens don't get to that age.

Minder wrote: »
    Yet the supermarkets have the largest margin in the supply chain that puts that bird on the dinner table. Tesco don't make billion pound profits through volume sales, rather through having the largest slice of the profit from the retail price. 40%?

I'm aware of Tesco and their profits. Tesco, and their ilk, screw every supplier to the wall. My point is the extra cost of a good free range chicken isn't an inflated cost, it's a real cost for the farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The chickens, more correctly hens, aren't getting such a bad deal compared to the cocks who are all killed off at birth.

Hagar wrote: »
    The chickens, more correctly hens, aren't getting such a bad deal compared to the cocks who are all killed off at birth.

I think its a case of the living envying the dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

39 day old chickens ??? 39 days what size of chicken does that get you?

is that for pieces of chicken or a whole chicken? I coulnd't imagine a chicken getting the big in 39 days, how long did yerman keep his chickens not much longer.

what is the normal life span of a chicken, where does it become fully grown.

The chickens are kept awake for 23.5 hours a day. When chickens are awake they eat. And eat. By the time 39 days comes they can hardly support their own body weight!

lostexpectation, sounds like you should have been watching (you may catch repeats on More4 if you have it, at some point).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

prendy wrote: »
    I guess for most people the choice you make is based on your circumstance.
    when i was in college the cheapest meat was always the best, now however with a few € to spend i am more interested in the quality of what im eating.
    the programme was good but while i dont condone animal cruelty that is their purpose.if that guy in the programme got local kids to work 20+ hrs a day for 20p making runners and shoes would people still buy them?????

You mean God put them there for us to eat? :confused:

The problem seems to be that people think that the ultra cheap chicken is the norm.
    I'd imagine the ratio of chicken cost to average wage is quite different to what it was fifty years ago.

Quite. Chicken used to be a) a luxury and b) tasty. Now its neither.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'm aware of Tesco and their profits. Tesco, and their ilk, screw every supplier to the wall. My point is the extra cost of a good free range chicken isn't an inflated cost, it's a real cost for the farmer.

Battery chicken 39 days old. Free range 56 days old. Both chickens will eat roughly the same amout of food for the weight yield. The free range slightly more as some of the food energy is used up by the animal. That and the additional lighting and heating for 17 days does not equate to the price difference between the two types of bird. It can't - do the math. The price increase should be of the order of 40%. Instead the supermarkets charge 100 to 200% more for a similar weight of free range bird.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they should be trying to sell more of them.

Mike.

Advertisement