Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Wii game and no original receipt??

Options
  • 08-01-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Folks,

4 weeks prior to Christmas i bought the WWE latest Wrestling game on PS2 for my son for Christmas.

2 weeks later i bought a Nintendo Wii and i took the game back to shop with original receipt and i exchaned it for the Nintendo Wii version. This Wii version was €20 more expensive and i paid the difference with my laser card. I also signed my name, addrress and phone number on a book for the exchange.

On Xmas morning anyway the bloody game would not work! The game is very clearly faulty but no damage on disk but it just will not work at all.

I returned to the shop with a copy of my bank statement showing when i paid the extra €20 on the Wii game but the sales girl was unsure whether this is sufficient as i don't hav ethe original receipt anymore. Sghe told me to call again and speak to the manager.

Has anyone out there any advise of my rights in this awkward situation?

To make things worse my son still has no game and the shop is out of stock of all decent games until end of January.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

You don't need a receipt - you just need proof of payment. Did you buy with a credit or debit card? If so then you can request a copy of the receipt from the retailer using your CC statement. Alternatively, did you use a store card or loyalty card as that too would be enough for proof of purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

just the proof of your laser card payment is enough. The girl in the shop just wasn't competent enough to know the law. You might want to quote some of the legislation or organisations in the sticky on "your consumer rights" at the top of this forum in your next visit to the shop.

EDIT: see here: http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Tip_Of_The_Week/Tips_Archive/Keep_those_Christmas_receipts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

I used my Laser (Debit) card.

They should have my details on their book too where i made the original exchange shouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

They should be able to recall a copy of the receipt based on your laser card details. All you need is proof of purchase and a debit card statement is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Why did you return the original game? Was it in part exchange for the wii one or because there was an issue with it?
    Most places would be inclined to look for a proof of purchase which you don't have so they are entitled to there stance. Perhaps if you ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation calmly to him they maybe able to help you out a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't see how a laser card payment of 20e is sufficent proof of purchase for a game worth at least 50e. There's a lot of trade in's around Christmas so they may not be able to find it.

Hopefully you'll get some goodwill, but realisticaly, you can't prove that you got the game there just that you made a payment of 20e which is not the price of the game.

Failing that though, there should be some info in the back of the manual where the manufactuer will replace faulty disks.

majiktripp wrote: »
    Why did you return the original game? Was it in part exchange for the wii one or because there was an issue with it?
    Most places would be inclined to look for a proof of purchase which you don't have so they are entitled to there stance. Perhaps if you ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation calmly to him they maybe able to help you out a bit more.

I returned the original game because at that time i wanted PS2 version but when i managed to buy a Wii for Santa present preferred to get him the Wii version of the game it was for Santa.

I paid 20quid for the exchange as the PS2 version was €40 and the Wii version was €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

chrislad wrote: »
    I don't see how a laser card payment of 20e is sufficent proof of purchase for a game worth at least 50e. There's a lot of trade in's around Christmas so they may not be able to find it.

but the €20 laser card transaction would be electronically linked to the actual transaction, which would show that it was an exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

but the €20 laser card transaction would be electronically linked to the actual transaction, which would show that it was an exchange

Depends on the system. are game cc machines integrate dwith the till? Anywhere I worked in the past it was a standalone machine, so the read at thee end of the day will just list the transactions put through the machines, ie 19:45 "card details" €20 "date etc" and the tills readout willshow what was bought. No connection between the two only the transactions done on both at roughly the same time for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Stekelly wrote: »
    Depends on the system. are game cc machines integrate dwith the till? Anywhere I worked in the past it was a standalone machine, so the read at thee end of the day will just list the transactions put through the machines, ie 19:45 "card details" €20 "date etc" and the tills readout willshow what was bought. No connection between the two only the transactions done on both at roughly the same time for €20.

Ye they are seperate in Xtra-Vision for example. The transactions going through the c/c machine are added up and compared with the amount of stock that was paid by c/c.

• Advertisement

It actually is Xtravision i am talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you called and spoken to the manager yet? I'd say the girl had no idea and if you speak to the manager they should be able to use you statment to match the time in the exchange book and sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

colmranger wrote: »
    It actually is Xtravision i am talking about here.

Well since it is xtra-vision,you signed the refund book,it should be there. See if that will do any good.

Just letting ye all know Manager in Xtravision accepted my bank statement showing the payment to the store.

Thanks everyone for advice & Fair Play Xtravision. :D:D:D

Advertisement