Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf TDI 90 BHP vs Golf TDI 105 BHP

Options
  • 08-01-2008 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Golf 1.9 TDI 90 BHP and the 105 BHP version (apart from the 15 BHP and the price). Does the 105 have a better engine or do they simply have a little more pressure on the turbo (which would hardly justify the price difference)?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I failed to find it in a search.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

I could be wrong, but I always thought the 105 was the PD engine (pump-duse) which offered better torque than the older engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Try the guys on Vagdrivers.net, they know their stuff and will be able to tell you the difference between the engines.
    Is it the MK4 or MK5 golf you are looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Thanks trant. Volkswagen describe them both as having "4-cyl. diesel TDI PDE" engines. The only differernce I can see on the spec. sheet is that the 105 has a "variable geometry turbocharger".

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd say the engines are exactly the same, just VW remapped it so one could have more power and torque.

This is commonplace with other makes when it comes to diesel engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    I'd say the engines are exactly the same, just VW remapped it so one could have more power and torque.

They were made at different times, and never sold alongside eachother. They most likely have fundamental differences. e.g. the 90bhp has an old diesel pump, the 105 has Detroit style injectors.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    They were made at different times, and never sold alongside eachother. They most likely have fundamental differences. e.g. the 90bhp has an old diesel pump, the 105 has Detroit style injectors.

Sorry to contradict you maidhc, but they are both currently listed on volkswagen.ie.

E92 wrote: »

There is over a grand difference in the price!

blackbox wrote: »
    Sorry to contradict you maidhc, but they are both currently listed on volkswagen.ie.

Oh, didn't realise they were selling a 90bhp version again. Last time I was looking there was only a 105! The differences between the old pre PD 90bhp and 110bhp were pretty substantial.

Would you really buy a new car with a 1.9 engine that develops 90bhp in 2008?

The turbo looks like the difference... it was the same before, the old non-Pd 90bhp lost the variable geometry turbo too. It is a bit scary to be going back to an engine killed off some time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The old pre-01 engines were 90bhp, and were replaced with the newer 100bhp PD ones, which had a completely different injection system, but the OP is talking about the new Golf, so therefore it's basically the same engine in two states of tune. That 90bhp version of the current 1.9 is a new addition, possibly there for better economy and lower emissions, not sure.
    So to answer your question, mainly there is only the 15bhp difference, and you won't see much of your extra grand back on a trade in.

Biro wrote: »
    The old pre-01 engines were 90bhp, and were replaced with the newer 100bhp PD ones, which had a completely different injection system, but the OP is talking about the new Golf, so therefore it's basically the same engine in two states of tune. That 90bhp version of the current 1.9 is a new addition, possibly there for better economy and lower emissions, not sure.
    So to answer your question, mainly there is only the 15bhp difference, and you won't see much of your extra grand back on a trade in.

The specs suggest the emissions are the similar and the 90bhp has a more basic turbo!

I am surprised they didn't replace the 105 with the 115 in the old A4... it would be more of an incentive to spend a bit extra... 105 is somewhat underpowered in a golf too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The specs suggest the emissions are the similar and the 90bhp has a more basic turbo!

I am surprised they didn't replace the 105 with the 115 in the old A4... it would be more of an incentive to spend a bit extra... 105 is somewhat underpowered in a golf too!

Nope, just a bigger turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

True, but sure why would VW spend more when people will buy it anyway?!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Does the 1.9TDI have a 6 speed manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Plug wrote: »
    Does the 1.9TDI have a 6 speed manual?

Nope. All 1.9's were 5 speed in the MkV Golf.

Advertisement