Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing Lost Polish licences

Options
  • 08-01-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

My polish friends have lost their driver licences. They are in an awful state, they think they have to go home to get them replaced. The Irish county council won't accept the photocopies of the licences they have in order to do a licence exchange.

Does anyone know how it works in Poland, can they do this by post and how?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would have thought your Polish friends could find out how to go about this themselves? Can't they ask someone in Poland to find out for them? Or ring the embassy?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

but theyre in a "terrible state" ... they are too traumatised by the whole licence losing ordeal to find out for themselves !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Get them to contact there embassy. Im sure the embassy has dealt with this before as there are so many Polish here so im sure a few have lost licences!

Can i ask did they all lose their licences? It sounds like that from the post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

spagbol wrote: »
    My polish friends have lost their driver licences. They are in an awful state

How many licences were lost. Group hug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

did they lose them, or where they taken from them:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Were they all involved in some kind of mass mugging, or are they trying to scam Irish licenses without having to actually sit any test? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Shigsy wrote: »
    Were they all involved in some kind of mass mugging, or are they trying to scam Irish licenses without having to actually sit any test? :rolleyes:

Surprise.....suprise.....this has turned into another Polish bashing thread.
    If you cany answer the OPs question, then why reply at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine the Polish licencing authority would be the contact point, not an Irish council.

As an aside photocopies will rarely be accepted for anything. It is even useless to produce a photocopy of ID to open a bank account. A bank employee must see, handle and then make their own copy of the original unless it's a customer known to them. Even at that ID still must be produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

id be surprised if anybody here could bash the polish, they are huge!!!:D:D
    but ye just get your embassy to get you one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Surprise.....suprise.....this has turned into another Polish bashing thread.
    If you cany answer the OPs question, then why reply at all?
    In fairness, it is a pretty dumb question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

The Irish county council won't accept the photocopies of the licences they have in order to do a licence exchange.

At least someone has common sense in the county councils. If a photocopy of a license was accepted as a true license it would be a ****ing joke.

I'm sure if they review the equivalent of citizensinformation.ie for Poland they will be able to find out how to get a replacement to their registered address in Poland.

Strange that they lost it seeing as it's a requirement since 2003 to carry your driving license at all times when driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

My polish friends have lost their driver licences. They are in an awful state, they think they have to go home to get them replaced. The Irish county council won't accept the photocopies of the licences they have in order to do a licence exchange.

Does anyone know how it works in Poland, can they do this by post and how?

Thanks!

The reason photocopies are not accepeted is because when you change your licence for an Irish one the original is sent back to the country of origin.

That is so you cant go back and get another licence back home.

As far as new ones go, you have to apply for them in person. So they will have to fly back. Then you will have 2 options, one is to pick it up and the other to have it sent to where you are registered in Poland.

As far as the embasy goes, I would try that first, but I don't know if they would do anything.

Would the irish embasy in spain do anything for an irish citizen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

beatman91 wrote: »
    The reason photocopies are not accepeted is because when you change your licence for an Irish one the original is sent back to the country of origin.

That is so you cant go back and get another licence back home.

As far as new ones go, you have to apply for them in person. So they will have to fly back. Then you will have 2 options, one is to pick it up and the other to have it sent to where you are registered in Poland.

As far as the embasy goes, I would try that first, but I don't know if they would do anything.

What an explanation lol. Man you good.

The reason why a photocopy is not accepted is, because it is a photocopy.
    As far as the new ones go, if you are able to provide a valid ID (Password, ID Card) the embassy will be able to get him a new driving license after verification.
    Not sure to understand your last statement about the Irish embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well they would at least advise what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

mick.fr wrote: »
    What an explanation lol. Man you good.

The reason why a photocopy is not accepted is, because it is a photocopy.
    As far as the new ones go, if you are able to provide a valid ID (Password, ID Card) the embassy will be able to get him a new driving license after verification.
    Not sure to understand your last statement about the Irish embassy.

My point was that is they really wanted to establish if the photocopy was genuine copy, they could but so what. If they gave out another licence, we would have a lot of people abusing this.

My last comment was if I was in spain, is that what I would do. I mean one department has nothing to do with the other. Or maybe it its exactly what you should do. I don't know. I'm only sticking to the facts.

And yes there is a way you can have a polish licence and an Irish one at the same time. Before some one posts it. But I'm not gonna go into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spagbol

Thanks beatman and others who have tried to help, it is a case of the 2 licences being lost in the post and it is a genuine case, not a scam.

They are trying to avoid the cost of flying home just for that so they will contact the Polish embassy and see can they help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

they will contact the Polish embassy and see can they help
    This is the most sensible thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I gather flights to/from Poland are very cheap as there was a load of Polish lads caught flying over from Poland every month to collect the dole in Waterford.

Story here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Unfortunatly they have to go home to replace them.

Cannot be done through the embassy either.

Sure the Irish have to do the same if were abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

craichoe wrote: »

Are you sure? I'd have thought that typical tasks of an embassy would include issuing passports and driving licenses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

craichoe wrote: »

Sure the Irish have to do the same if were abroad

I can't off-hand remember why you'd *have* to go home to replace an Irish licence - do you need some form stamped by the Guards? Been a while since I had to do anything related to the licence (7 years left on it I think) so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

unkel wrote: »
    Are you sure? I'd have thought that typical tasks of an embassy would include issuing passports and driving licenses?

Yup, Embassy has nothing to do with Driver Licensing.

Even if they did, all they would be doing for you is posting the forms and stuff back to shannon and getting them sent back.

Coincidently, its the same for Northern Ireland, guy here went to the UK Embassy, they told him to get stuffed.

Advertisement