Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foggy Windows

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does know of any window cleaner that i could use to clean my car windows that will help stopping them fog up?

Problem is the windows in my car fog up very very easily and very fast, even if i'm only in the car a couple of minutes, they are fogging up already. And even when the car is parked up in cold weather or rain the windows fog up!

Any ideas at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I'm sure there's plenty of specific products for car windows (and I've tried a lot of them) but the most effective window cleaner I've found is actually Windowlene cream. Basically, it contains white spirit and cuts through grease and grim in no time. Forget the spray, this stuff comes in a pink/purple bottle and is great. Only thing is watch it on the upholstery as it can stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Car windows shouldn't fog up like that. Yes, make sure that they are clean, it definitely helps. Is the air selector set to Fresh Air or Recirculate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

rookie69 wrote: »
    Does know of any window cleaner that i could use to clean my car windows that will help stopping them fog up?

Problem is the windows in my car fog up very very easily and very fast, even if i'm only in the car a couple of minutes, they are fogging up already. And even when the car is parked up in cold weather or rain the windows fog up!

Any ideas at all?

Are you sure you dont have a leak somewhere?
    This could be why the windows are fogging up especially if there's
    no one in the car. Check the carpets and seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rookie69

I know, it never really happened with any of my other cars!
    Its definitely on the fresh air cycle.

BTW it's a mondeo and it has the electric front windscreen and i nearly have to have it on constantly in the cold weather to keep the window fog free.
    And as for the back window, well the back electric window heater may be f**ked but it takes forever to clear that one but sometimes when i come out to the car it's so fogged up(the back window), its like condensation on it (like little waterdrops around the top and edges if you know what i mean).

I'll give that cream a try on it and see how it works! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hmmm... my Dad used to have a Mondeo with the problem you described. It was the older generation (94) and basically there was a problem with the extractor fan in this the drain holes would clog. The solution was to drill these clear. Might not be your problem, but it was his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Give all the windows a clean with Autoglym Glass polish and replace your air filetr and pollen filter and you will see a big improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Yeah, pollen filter is the usual culprit.A trick in the rallying world is to use Timotei or Head and shoulders shampoo on the windscreen to stop it fogging up.Rub it on, let it dry in and rub the excess off.It works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Siobhan12

Hi get a blob of ordinary shaving foam and clean your windows with this, don't add water just buff clean, works a treat on bathroom mirrors too!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I got a few big hand sized bags of silcone and put one in the back boot lid tray, and one in each door pocket. Mine was pretty bad (beading water on the back windscreen), I think it was a leak though, and im pretty sure I got it but still quite an ammount of fogging.
    Im guessing the bags are doing something because its not as bad now. Defo no beading water. On freezing cold mornings there pretty much clear appart from the ice outside. Only time i notice it fogging up now is when lots of people are in the car and its warm inside, cold outside, and then we leave the car. If im back 30mins later it can be pretty fogged up, but that just chemistry.

Try getting some of the silicon bags, like what you get in new shoes or with electronics. I got some big ones from work instead of the tiny ones.

Advertisement