Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spot fines for cyclists

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Was anyone watching the programme on BBC(i think) about police in london giving £30 spot fines to cyclists who run red lights perticulary at pedestrian crossings?? would this work here
    Aparently there are 1000s of reported injuries every year in England involving cyclists who jump the red light. anyone know of the stats here??
    Give us your 2cents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Fully support this spot fine - goes some way to save *ALL* road users from dangerous use of public roads. Repeat offenders should be made to sit and pass a "Rules Of The Road" test (appropriately scaled down in scope)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Fully support this spot fine - goes some way to save *ALL* road users from dangerous use of public roads. Repeat offenders should be made to sit and pass a "Rules Of The Road" test (appropriately scaled down in scope)

Save them from what exactly? Is there an epidemic of collisions that I'm not aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

maybe a spot fine for pedestrians crossing, when not ment to, for people with i-pods and general, retards:rolleyes:
    bull****, will never come in here, and who is going to stop a cyclist???
    i suppose they can take my reg:D:D:D
    and as for the rules of the road, the test is already fairly dumbass orientated, if it did need intelligence or study, id say cars wouldnt drive in cycle lanes........no point in targeting one group tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

excuse my cynicism but...

i reckon that those 'spot fines' are more useful for calming the ire of london motorists (who already feel criminalised by the congestion charge etc.) and thereby securing goodwill/votes in future mayoral elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Was anyone watching the programme on BBC(i think) about police in london giving £30 spot fines to cyclists who run red lights perticulary at pedestrian crossings?? would this work here
    Aparently there are 1000s of reported injuries every year in England involving cyclists who jump the red light. anyone know of the stats here??
    Give us your 2cents
    In theory: yeah, it's brilliant, really. But it won't work.

There's too many problems, too much stupid bull**** in road design and the enforcement or otherwise of road legislation.

I can fully see it happeing though.
    And I can fully see it doing nothing to reduce cyclist/pedestrian accidents.
    And I can fully see that meaning absolutely nothing, as the guards will make loads of money, and the pointless ire of the idiot masses will be satiated.

:):):)
    This rain has me very grumpy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I don't support any crackdown on cyclists until they start cracking down on motorists who endanger cyclists. The last list of penalty point notices shows what a non-priority that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

as someone mentioned; who the hell will stop you? If you go through the lights, you have a certain speed, the gards arent going top bother chasing you because the odds are they will lose you anyhu, and no one will run after you either, would be quite pointless imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Who is going to catch you? I thought that too.

While you could out run a guard on a push bike those damn motorbikes are fast :) Still all I got was a talking to and sent on my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

I think its great. There is nothing worse than stopping at a light only to have some halfwit go straight past you through them. Only for you to have to pass him/her again before the next set of lights.
    Not sure how effective it would be though

HJS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Not sure how workable / practical this would be, given that there are so many more immediate problems.

I don't know what the stats are on cyclist vs. pedestrian, but I did witness a very nasty incident a couple of years ago. Halfwit cyclist was tearing up South Great Georges St on the wrong side of the road, and ploughed into a pedestrian at the Exchequer St pedestrian crossing (which was green for peds at the time). His immediate instinct was to check the lights to see if he 'was in the right', while the girl lay on the road in need of medical attention. When he realised just how much he'd fckudup he fled the scene. Girl was taken away in an ambulance.

The risk of a fine wouldn't have stopped this happening, but I'd love to have given him a clip round the ear.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

kona wrote: »
    maybe a spot fine for pedestrians crossing, when not ment to, for people with i-pods and general, retards:rolleyes:

Totally. I've got to cycle down a one way two laned road on a fairly big shopping street in London and every night it's like running the gauntlet of human stupidity. It drives me mad. It's a one way street.... You don't even have to look both ways never mind just one. The number of people I've nearly totalled because they're walking along on the footpath one second and the next on the road in front of you without even looking for oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It's a nice idea, but it won't work in practice.

Breaking red lights isn't smart and only saves a few minutes, while the risk is pretty large. As for pedestrians, treat them like idiot who could step into traffic at any second, and you'll be fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think it makes sense if there is some discretion, there is a difference between a cyclist carefully going through an empty pedestrian crossing or bombing thorugh a crowded one, or across a junction.

Would fully support it for cyclists without lights.

If the idea is "zero tolerance" then I would imagine motorists are more of a priority (then cyclists, then pedestrians...)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bull****, will never come in here, and who is going to stop a cyclist???
    The cop further down the street with a baton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Would only work in a scenario where all the rules of the road are enforced i.e. pedestrians crossing whenever they like, cars not jumping red lights etc. I am a cyclist and get really mad when I see people zooming through a pedestrian green and causing people to startle. I said it to a courier once and he threatened violance. What can you do,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are a whole heap of far more serious offences by all road users going unenforced. Any "pledge" or "commitment" to stamp down on this will result in ten extra people getting caught one week and then it all being forgotten.

Victor wrote: »
    The cop further down the street with a baton.

god youd never see that coming:D:D god how would he know it was you??

"delta echco, some lil bollix just cycled off on me, its a silver mountain bike with lights":D:Dgood luck with that.
    bikes are the best getaway machines....if used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

god youd never see that coming:D:D god how would he know it was you??
    The radio is the greatest tool available in policing.

read my post previous i dealt with it, guards couldnt describe a bike apart from any other bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Didn't they say in Hot Fuzz it was the notebook? :confused:

• Advertisement

an garda siochana are the greatest tools in policing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

an garda siochana are the greatest tools in policing tbh

Hahaha, post of the year.

kmick wrote: »
    Would only work in a scenario where all the rules of the road are enforced i.e. pedestrians crossing whenever they like,

I am open to correction here, but I don't believe jaywalking is a crime in Ireland.

Donny5 wrote: »
    I am open to correction here, but I don't believe jaywalking is a crime in Ireland.

neither is sheepshaggin but, you just dont do it.
    likewise walking into oncoming traffic may be legal, still fuppin retarded!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I believe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I do believe that it is.
    It's a bit of a grey area really

Here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54733500&postcount=8

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It is, I looked it up and its in the books since the 1990's
    Not enforced but its there, can't find the exact links off hand but I posted all the info on the waterford board a few weeks back

[EDIT] what do you know, Bicyclegadabout found the post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Cabaal wrote: »
    It is, I looked it up and its in the books since the 1990's Not enforced but its there,
    Many motorists consider any pedestrian crossing the road to be 'jay-walking'.

But in essence the offence only applies to not waiting for the 'green man' or for crossing within 5 metres of a pedestrian-controlled junction.

It's not an offence to cross the road elsewhere as long as reasonable care has been taken to permit motorists to slow down and give way.

That would seem sensible. Anyway, I think they should just pedestrianise (with allowances for deliveries, buses and cyclists) D1 and 2. that would solve a lot of problems.

Donal

p.s.: My problems anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement