Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler problems any help much appreciated.

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am so glad to have found this site and really hope that someone can help.

I have a Ferroli gas boiler for heating and water and my problems seem to be the opposite of what others are having. I rent my home and there is was no instruction manual left behind. Landlord is a decent chap but hard to get a hold of. Aaaanyhoo.. problem is this. I turn the heating on, and it'll start ok but after a while, it seems to stop and every time I go to check it, the red "boiler shut down" warning light is on. I've tried reseting it, by turning heating off and hitting re-set and sometimes it works and starts up again and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it works for a few hours, then stops and once again on checking it, the red light is on. The pressure seems high. It never drops below 1.5 and when turned on shoots up to 2.5 I have no clue how to reduce it. The impression I am getting is that it wont ignight.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I am afraid that I am not good on gas boilers :( It does seem to be a problem with the boiler - you may have to bring in a professional.

Do not let any more water into the system - you certainly have enough pressure - almost too much, although it should not blow the safety valve at 2.5.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Xalle

Thanks for that. At least I know I have to call someone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Could also need a ICB (Ignition Circuit board) or MCB (Main Circuit Board)

Had a similar issue (different boiler ) they replace both these and it was fine

On mine the pressure relief valve cuts in at 3 bar and dumps water outside through an external pipe.

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Don't be suprised if it takes a while to fix your boiler.
    Ferrolli boilers can be a nuisance to sort out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Have you tried downloading the manual here:

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/products/Domestic.php

It's hard to diagnose the problem from the information you have given. Is the system generating any heat ?. If so then it's obviously igniting. If you have time then I would suggest you try keep and eye on it and try establish what symptoms it is exhibiting when the fault light comes on (difficult if it is an intermittent problem).

On the other hand, why not call the landlord as it is really his problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pazur

mine is doing the same ... it is ferroli fluss 24NE, about 10 yrs old. Starts fine, heats water + radiators, and after some 4-5 hours shuts down the flame although water pressure is above 1 Bar, and turns red light on. Fan is still running. It is switched on and off with external thermostat. Don't know the temperature as there is no temp gauge with this model. What would be best to suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

For what it worth, I worked on a similiar problem on different boiler. Started no problem but when thermostat activated the boiler locked out and needed to be reset each time.
    On the water inlet manifold there was a pressure switch, the plunger (spool) that operated this became clogged up and wasn't activating but pressure was reading fine. Stripped and cleaned plunger and problem solved. Dont know how confident you are but might be a job for a plumber/service person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pazur

Probably that sensor (with about 10 cm long plastic cover) caught my eye too hopefully it will be that simple. If not, I found out burned area on the motherboard (honeywell) around two condensators yesterday, I'm goin to take it out and see what are the chances

Advertisement