Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New range of Tesco vegetarian products

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

not sure if these were already in other bigger Tescos, but was in the one in Rathfarnham yesterday and they have a really good range of vegetarian chilled ready meals in stock now.
    Got the Vegetable Korma which was really nice and the Cottage pie also. They had a good few other options too. Also keep an eye in the reduced to clear chilled section as some of the veggie stuff ends up there too.
    On a side note, anyone know whatever happened to the falafels tesco used to sell in the chilled section? They were great but disappeared a while ago.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must have a look at this new food. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I was in Tesco in Portlaoise and I noticed that both those falafels and the nice mushroom burgers they used to do were gone. Boo-urns. They were good.
    It's nice to see that supermarkets are increasing their generic vegetarian options. Incidentally, and slightly off-topic, Tesco were stocking Quorn Pepper Steaks and they were very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

Possibly explains why the range of non-Tesco vegetarian prepared food products on Tesco shelves appears to be decreasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Saw the falafels randomly left somewhere in the Bray one the other night, couldnt find where they are supposed to be tho - so maybe the were old! and o longer available...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was in Tesco in Portlaoise and I noticed that both those falafels and the nice mushroom burgers they used to do were gone. Boo-urns. They were good.
    It's nice to see that supermarkets are increasing their generic vegetarian options. Incidentally, and slightly off-topic, Tesco were stocking Quorn Pepper Steaks and they were very tasty.

pepper steaks? Never saw them before. Anything like real steak? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Sorry to see the Tesco falafels go.
    If there's an M&S near you, they have good falafels and humous too.

Or a market near you. :)

My Tesco sells great Falafel mix, but it has a ethnic food section that I haven't seen elsewhere.
    Any decent healthfood shop will have frozen and ready made falafel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

on the falafel front - got some cauldron ready made falafels in tesco rathfarnham the other day very tasty. also got the quorn 'pepper steaks' haven't eaten them yet though.
    the tesco veggie cottage pie wasn't the greatest unfortunately though i microwaved it rather than the recommended oven baking so that might have had something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 headlessloon

i heard they are bringing back a new linda mccartney frozen range - bought over by some other company? so not sure how good they'll be... the quorn cumberland sausages in the fridge are really good for veggie fry-ups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

i heard they are bringing back a new linda mccartney frozen range - bought over by some other company? so not sure how good they'll be... the quorn cumberland sausages in the fridge are really good for veggie fry-ups!

Sigh. I doubt that very much :( Tesco are pushing their own vegetarian range and quorn, there is probably an exclusivity agreement with them and the makers of Quorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

My Tescos has just introduced the falafels to their chilled range, I haven't tried them yet though.

They're veggie selection has always been a bit lacklustre but I'm glad to see it's finally starting to increase a little bit.

Somebody mentioned their mushroom burgers, they still sell them but they're in new packaging, as well as the yummy veggie chilli. However, a change in packaging meant an increase in the price, I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They do have the mushroom burgers again, along with Spicy bean burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Last I looked the Mushroom Burgers were there but ina different packaging. Love those yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Generally dont bother too much with the range. I think my mates actually buy more of the stuff than I do in case I call round, they were getting a little aware that all they fed me before were bags of salad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

+1 on the mushroom burgers and Tesco Galway have them...
    Mmmm roll on tea-time!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Tesco were stocking Quorn Pepper Steaks and they were very tasty.
    Indeed got some of these in Prussia street a few weeks back, really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Tried the Cauldron Organic Falafels today and I'm very impressed!
    Mixed into a warm mixed salad with pesto, they were excellent.
    Although they contain Garlic Puree, it's not the predominant taste which ensures I'll be buying them again. :)

They're Vegan, too, though it's a pity they didn't bother to put the Vegan symbol on the packaging.

Got them in Tesco in the Park Centre in Prussia Street, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

The mini falafels in marks and spencers are very nice too. And their hummous...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Nature Boy wrote: »
    The mini falafels in marks and spencers are very nice too. And their hummous...
    Nice, if you love garlic, no doubt!

To avoid that particular ingredient, I make my own (garlic-free!) hummus and pesto. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

You're right, it is quite garlic-y. And, yes i do love garlic ;)

I saw fresh quorn in the readymade section in my local tesco.
    I think I have heard it is better than frozen....not into it myself....but might be useful for some of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dark Seraphim

I totally agree, Tesco have brought out some great Vegetarian dishes, i love the cottage pie and the lasanya. Also love all the quorn range, i have tired the pepper steaks and they were yummy. it is sooo good to be able to have dishes again that i had years ago before i came vegetarian and they taste very close to the original, especially spagetti bolognase with quorn mince. :) ohh and try the peppered lemon chicken streaks

Advertisement